Trump not running for president
May 16th, 2011

Trump not running for president

(CNN) - Real estate mogul and television celebrity Donald Trump, who generated a media publicity blitz by saying he might run for president in 2012, announced Monday that he will instead remain a businessman.

"After considerable deliberation and reflection, I have decided not to pursue the office of the presidency," Trump said in a statement.

With his typical bravado, Trump maintained that he would have won the Republican primary and the general election, but recognized that "running for public office cannot be done half-heartedly."

"Ultimately, however, business is my greatest passion and I am not ready to leave the private sector," Trump said in the statement.

Trump's flirtation with running for the Republican nomination included his demand that President Barack Obama make public his full birth certificate from Hawaii.

Obama previously had provided a shorter version that serves as the public record in Hawaii, but amid the media glare on the issue raised in part by Trump's repeated questioning of whether the so-called long version of the document existed, the president released it last month.

At an NBC presentation of the network's fall line-up, Trump, star of "Celebrity Apprentice," said "NBC has been amazing. This will be our 12th season and I have to say I love 'Celebrity Apprentice.'"

"I will not be running for president as much as I'd like to," Trump added.

Full release:

"After considerable deliberation and reflection, I have decided not to pursue the office of the Presidency. This decision does not come easily or without regret; especially when my potential candidacy continues to be validated by ranking at the top of the Republican contenders in polls across the country. I maintain the strong conviction that if I were to run, I would be able to win the primary and ultimately, the general election. I have spent the past several months unofficially campaigning and recognize that running for public office cannot be done half heartedly. Ultimately, however, business is my greatest passion and I am not ready to leave the private sector.

I want to personally thank the millions of Americans who have joined the various Trump grassroots movements and written me letters and e-mails encouraging me to run. My gratitude for your faith and trust in me could never be expressed properly in words. So, I make you this promise: that I will continue to voice my opinions loudly and help to shape our politician's thoughts. My ability to bring important economic and foreign policy issues to the forefront of the national dialogue is perhaps my greatest asset and one of the most valuable services I can provide to this country. I will continue to push our President and the country's policy makers to address the dire challenges arising from our unsustainable debt structure and increasing lack of global competitiveness. Issues, including getting tough on China and other countries that are methodically and systematically taking advantage of the United States, were seldom mentioned before I brought them to the forefront of the country's conversation. They are now being debated vigorously. I will also continue to push for job creation, an initiative that should be this country's top priority and something that I know a lot about. I will not shy away from expressing the opinions that so many of you share yet don't have a medium through which to articulate.

I look forward to supporting the candidate who is the most qualified to help us tackle our country's most important issues and am hopeful that, when this person emerges, he or she will have the courage to take on the challenges of the Office and be the agent of change that this country so desperately needs."

Thank you and God Bless America!
Donald J. Trump

Filed under: 2012 • Donald Trump
  1. vet in texas

"They're what we thought they were" – Coach Denny Green

May 16, 2011 12:47 pm at 12:47 pm |
  2. Rudy NYC

He shot himself in his own foot. He made it impossible on himself to run. He has decieved the public once already by withholding his financial records after Obama released a birth certificate. This "announcement" confirms his lack of credibility.

May 16, 2011 12:49 pm at 12:49 pm |
  3. Dominican mama 4 Obama

Shocking!
    Not.
    I can't believe the embarrassing group of misfits and wannabes trying to make us think they have a legitimate shot at the Presidency of this country, either by intellect, vision, willingness to do the work or actual accomplishments.

May 16, 2011 12:51 pm at 12:51 pm |
  4. vet in texas

I like to personally thank all the followers who seriously considered Trump for president. Thank you for showing how inept you are when it comes to picking leaders, I'll bet you also voted for W twice......McCain's recent facts showing that waterboarding had nothing to do with Osama, is the last piece needed to show W's presidency was a complete and utter failure at each and every descision, yeah I'll take whoever thinks otherwise's opinion on picking a good leader.....Hilarious!

May 16, 2011 12:51 pm at 12:51 pm |
  5. GaryB

A legend in his own mind...

May 16, 2011 12:51 pm at 12:51 pm |
  6. MarilynWhaley

Goodbye, and goooooood riddance!!!!!!!!!!!! Finally, he's such a joke!

May 16, 2011 12:51 pm at 12:51 pm |
  7. Orchid333

HA! He's such a show-boater. I love this line, "...my potential candidacy continues to be validated by ranking at the top of the Republican contenders in polls across the country."
    Mr. Trump, could you please provide documentation proving this statement? Because I have yet to have seen ANY poll where you ranked at the top!!!! He knew it was a lost cause and, as usual, just wanted rankings for his failing show.

May 16, 2011 12:51 pm at 12:51 pm |
  8. Democrat Class Warfare - Destroying the economy, destroying the country (the real deal)

Of course he's not running! Only dumb Democrats ever thought he was. They believe in the Easter bunny too so what do you expect?!

May 16, 2011 12:52 pm at 12:52 pm |
  9. Walter

Good. Now hopefully the Republican Party can focus on a viable candidate. With unemployment at 9% and inflation increasing (of course the government says inflation is under control as long as you don't factor in those pesky food and fuel costs), this is the Republicans best chance to make Obama a one-term president.

May 16, 2011 12:52 pm at 12:52 pm |
  10. Jake

that was anti-climatic!
    now stop watching Celebrity Apprentice so he doesn't get the satisfaction of the ratings he was after all along!

May 16, 2011 12:52 pm at 12:52 pm |
  11. FM

A lot of people were aware even before he was born that he will never be!

May 16, 2011 12:52 pm at 12:52 pm |
  12. Sarah Palin

So it ain't so, Donald!

May 16, 2011 12:53 pm at 12:53 pm |
  13. Waleed

Translation: "I put my foot in my mouth one too many times and realize now that I got in over my head," slapping himself in the forehead he says, "Why did I join that birther stuff?"

May 16, 2011 12:53 pm at 12:53 pm |
  14. Radical B

This man has no shame......he still thinks he matters..ha

May 16, 2011 12:53 pm at 12:53 pm |
  15. Vince

Darn! I was looking forward to candidate Trump and his crazy ideas!

May 16, 2011 12:54 pm at 12:54 pm |
  16. country city boy

did we not see this coming??? the republicans voters should see this as a mockery in politics. every last one of the canidates has more baggage than paris hilton on cross country trip. and their proud of it?? they taking politics as a joke. we elect these people to represent us in office and this is the best the GOP can come up with?

May 16, 2011 12:54 pm at 12:54 pm |
  17. lou

Trump an embarrassment
    Shut up you fool

May 16, 2011 12:54 pm at 12:54 pm |
  18. ARIZONA KEN

No way DONALD punk was going 2 win!
    obama 2012

May 16, 2011 12:55 pm at 12:55 pm |
  19. ZZ

Oh, What a shame. Another monkey fell off.

May 16, 2011 12:55 pm at 12:55 pm |
  20. Foo foo

There is not enough money on the US Presidency for all the GOP greedy ones. But anyway, good riddance, and glad not to see that stupid toupee any more.

May 16, 2011 12:55 pm at 12:55 pm |
  21. Joe, San Diego

Trump is so dilluisonal did he really think he would have won... ll that just to raise ratngs for his slly show, like when he ate crow about what his private investigators would find on President Obama(NOTHING) but Trump pretended to people would stay tuned... same Bat channel same Bat time... raise ratings 101!

May 16, 2011 12:55 pm at 12:55 pm |
  22. janet

spoken like a true politician. i have to agree that he brought a lot of issues to the forefront and got people talking. no matter what you think of him, we need more like him on our side speaking out against the system and the injustice in the world.

May 16, 2011 12:55 pm at 12:55 pm |
  23. ctbeckyw

Dagnabbit! I was looking forward a Dumb Donald/Simple Sarah ticket.

May 16, 2011 12:55 pm at 12:55 pm |
  24. Pam

Hard to believe he could say that with a straight face!

May 16, 2011 12:55 pm at 12:55 pm |
  25. Brump

"They are now being debated vigorously."
    "Thank you and God Bless America!"

These are the only 2 sentences in the big man's statement that don't contain the words "I", "me", or "my".

Thank you, Trump. And now... please remain quiet while the other drama heros are busy ruining our lives.

May 16, 2011 12:56 pm at 12:56 pm |