Trump not running for president
May 16th, 2011

Trump not running for president

(CNN) - Real estate mogul and television celebrity Donald Trump, who generated a media publicity blitz by saying he might run for president in 2012, announced Monday that he will instead remain a businessman.

"After considerable deliberation and reflection, I have decided not to pursue the office of the presidency," Trump said in a statement.

With his typical bravado, Trump maintained that he would have won the Republican primary and the general election, but recognized that "running for public office cannot be done half-heartedly."

"Ultimately, however, business is my greatest passion and I am not ready to leave the private sector," Trump said in the statement.

Trump's flirtation with running for the Republican nomination included his demand that President Barack Obama make public his full birth certificate from Hawaii.

Obama previously had provided a shorter version that serves as the public record in Hawaii, but amid the media glare on the issue raised in part by Trump's repeated questioning of whether the so-called long version of the document existed, the president released it last month.

At an NBC presentation of the network's fall line-up, Trump, star of "Celebrity Apprentice," said "NBC has been amazing. This will be our 12th season and I have to say I love 'Celebrity Apprentice.'"

"I will not be running for president as much as I'd like to," Trump added.

Full release:

"After considerable deliberation and reflection, I have decided not to pursue the office of the Presidency. This decision does not come easily or without regret; especially when my potential candidacy continues to be validated by ranking at the top of the Republican contenders in polls across the country. I maintain the strong conviction that if I were to run, I would be able to win the primary and ultimately, the general election. I have spent the past several months unofficially campaigning and recognize that running for public office cannot be done half heartedly. Ultimately, however, business is my greatest passion and I am not ready to leave the private sector.

I want to personally thank the millions of Americans who have joined the various Trump grassroots movements and written me letters and e-mails encouraging me to run. My gratitude for your faith and trust in me could never be expressed properly in words. So, I make you this promise: that I will continue to voice my opinions loudly and help to shape our politician's thoughts. My ability to bring important economic and foreign policy issues to the forefront of the national dialogue is perhaps my greatest asset and one of the most valuable services I can provide to this country. I will continue to push our President and the country's policy makers to address the dire challenges arising from our unsustainable debt structure and increasing lack of global competitiveness. Issues, including getting tough on China and other countries that are methodically and systematically taking advantage of the United States, were seldom mentioned before I brought them to the forefront of the country's conversation. They are now being debated vigorously. I will also continue to push for job creation, an initiative that should be this country's top priority and something that I know a lot about. I will not shy away from expressing the opinions that so many of you share yet don't have a medium through which to articulate.

I look forward to supporting the candidate who is the most qualified to help us tackle our country's most important issues and am hopeful that, when this person emerges, he or she will have the courage to take on the challenges of the Office and be the agent of change that this country so desperately needs."

Thank you and God Bless America!
Donald J. Trump

Filed under: 2012 • Donald Trump
  1. Mr Bilek

There'll always be a spot for him on the Megalomania ticket.

May 16, 2011 01:23 pm at 1:23 pm |
  2. Dale

Good he's not running as he wouldn't make a good president but he does have some great points that Obama and Congress need to address. Hope he keeps pushing these issues HARD!

May 16, 2011 01:23 pm at 1:23 pm |
  3. Dazed&Confuzed

I would like to sum up his short poltical career in one word > Dilusional

4. Apolitical

Never joined a political party-never will. There is a reason why 90% of Congressmen are multi-millionaires, yet we as a people re-elect these fools over and over again at a rate close to 97%. Talk about not voting in your own interest.

5. kennedy

trump is pathetic! he never considered running 4 PRES b/c he did not want to b humiliated when he lost! but still continues saying he wud win primary & then general election. unbelieveable! what an awful awful man!

6. swschrad

The Chump can now saunter off and count his money in the privacy of his own office tower. not the first time he's played hard to get, and found nobody really wanted him. the kicker is all the full disclosure he'd have to make. probably put everything into chapter-11 instead of this year's chosen loser to wipe out random corporate debt.

7. FranChins

America this wannabe was joker! This is typical of bigots you think about themselves for money reasons. Good riddance! This guy has no validation of anything in his life. You are are a LOSER DONALD!

8. Garyd2

I guess the republican voters are wringing their hands after seeing this news about trump, don't know who to vote for now, they will need some good drugs to cope with this loss.

9. Paul Hewson

He maintained the strong conviction that if he were to run, he would be able to win the primary and ultimately, the general election...he is, the most interesting man in the world...

10. tony m

Maybe that self-centered , blowhard should let that thing that lives on his head run for President !!!, it would stand a better chance of winning than him..

11. tvenak

I am sure he planned this hoax to get attention and improved ratings for CA Show. Personally I think Rodney Dangerfield , if alive, would have a much better chance.

12. joseph

I thank God that this man that has claimed bankruptcy many times before is not going to run. I guess if the US could claim bankruptcy we could balance the budget fast and start over like Trump

13. Gre Girl

"I maintain the strong conviction that if I were to run, I would be able to win the primary and ultimately, the general election."

I REALLY CANT GET OVER THIS STATEMENT....LOL

14. ShockedGal

Wow, didn't see THAT one coming, said facetiously of course. Trump is nothing but a blow hard bully who is a master of publicity. He knows how to sell, I'll give him that. This was nothing more than a plot to increase his viewership ratings for his TV show. As soon as his network released a statement that the Celebrity Apprentice could go on WITHOUT him, his ego deflated, oxygen flowed back to his head and he was able to think clearly. Opting not to run for the presidency is the most logical decision I've hear the man make in quite a while.

15. rhinohump

I think Ron Paul's announcement to run scared Trump away!...What a losr

16. PakiLegacy

Oh Mr Trump...please run so we can see your @$$ being kicked by us voters. That is, if you make it to make it through the primary. Also, since you support full disclosures, why don't you release your tax statements as well as the list of all of the 2 people who support you?

17. Ronaldt19

This guy is smarter than I thought. I was beginning to think he slept his way to the top. :o)

18. JEM

What an idiot, there are other ways of self publication than making a mockering out of the presidency. I'd say you're FIRED TRUMP, but no self respecting American citizen would ever HIRE you as president in the first place.

19. Anything better than obamya

Trump got his publicity just like obamya going down to texas to play suckup for illegals to get latino vote. same bs.

20. markiejoe

Trump was NEVER going to run. He's an egomaniac who knows nothing about politics and who happens to have a television show currently running in prime time. All he wanted was (1) his name on the front page every day and (2) ratings for his TV show.

21. Gregory Pierce

How is this even news. We all knew he wasn't seriously going to run for office. Trump is like crab grass – he comes out every so often and makes things look ugly, and then goes away when you put serious attention into your lawn.

22. hedwig

Can't believe.. the media gives him this much attention...

May 16, 2011 01:25 pm at 1:25 pm |
  23. 2 Old 2B Afraid

I knew he'd quit because he would never show his shady financials. To quote The Donald, "He's a disaster". LOL

May 16, 2011 01:25 pm at 1:25 pm |
  24. Josh P

He got exactly what he wanted: higher ratings for the Celebrity Apprentice.

May 16, 2011 01:25 pm at 1:25 pm |
  25. Gary Busey

I guess Trump received enough free promotion for his apprentice show and pulled out of the race again (this isn't the first time he's done this). I'm telling you, as a famous actor, I totally respect Mr Trumps promotional abilities. Although I'm sad he pulled out after promising me the vice presidency. The Trump-Busey card would have kicked Obama and dems

May 16, 2011 01:25 pm at 1:25 pm |