Trump not running for president
May 16th, 2011

Trump not running for president

(CNN) - Real estate mogul and television celebrity Donald Trump, who generated a media publicity blitz by saying he might run for president in 2012, announced Monday that he will instead remain a businessman.

"After considerable deliberation and reflection, I have decided not to pursue the office of the presidency," Trump said in a statement.

With his typical bravado, Trump maintained that he would have won the Republican primary and the general election, but recognized that "running for public office cannot be done half-heartedly."

"Ultimately, however, business is my greatest passion and I am not ready to leave the private sector," Trump said in the statement.

Trump's flirtation with running for the Republican nomination included his demand that President Barack Obama make public his full birth certificate from Hawaii.

Obama previously had provided a shorter version that serves as the public record in Hawaii, but amid the media glare on the issue raised in part by Trump's repeated questioning of whether the so-called long version of the document existed, the president released it last month.

At an NBC presentation of the network's fall line-up, Trump, star of "Celebrity Apprentice," said "NBC has been amazing. This will be our 12th season and I have to say I love 'Celebrity Apprentice.'"

"I will not be running for president as much as I'd like to," Trump added.

Full release:

"After considerable deliberation and reflection, I have decided not to pursue the office of the Presidency. This decision does not come easily or without regret; especially when my potential candidacy continues to be validated by ranking at the top of the Republican contenders in polls across the country. I maintain the strong conviction that if I were to run, I would be able to win the primary and ultimately, the general election. I have spent the past several months unofficially campaigning and recognize that running for public office cannot be done half heartedly. Ultimately, however, business is my greatest passion and I am not ready to leave the private sector.

I want to personally thank the millions of Americans who have joined the various Trump grassroots movements and written me letters and e-mails encouraging me to run. My gratitude for your faith and trust in me could never be expressed properly in words. So, I make you this promise: that I will continue to voice my opinions loudly and help to shape our politician's thoughts. My ability to bring important economic and foreign policy issues to the forefront of the national dialogue is perhaps my greatest asset and one of the most valuable services I can provide to this country. I will continue to push our President and the country's policy makers to address the dire challenges arising from our unsustainable debt structure and increasing lack of global competitiveness. Issues, including getting tough on China and other countries that are methodically and systematically taking advantage of the United States, were seldom mentioned before I brought them to the forefront of the country's conversation. They are now being debated vigorously. I will also continue to push for job creation, an initiative that should be this country's top priority and something that I know a lot about. I will not shy away from expressing the opinions that so many of you share yet don't have a medium through which to articulate.

I look forward to supporting the candidate who is the most qualified to help us tackle our country's most important issues and am hopeful that, when this person emerges, he or she will have the courage to take on the challenges of the Office and be the agent of change that this country so desperately needs."

Thank you and God Bless America!
Donald J. Trump

Filed under: 2012 • Donald Trump
  1. Marion

Oh....I am sooo disappointed. If he somehow managed to get the Republican nomination, it would have assured Obama winning the 2012 election. I was hoping for a Trump/Palin ticket. LOL. What a gasbag this man is. A classless , clueless man. It was so much fun watching him make a fool of himself. I particularly loved how he faded away after the Correspondence dinner. Hee hee. But really, folks....we all knew he was going to pull out of this months ago, didn't we?

May 16, 2011 01:30 pm at 1:30 pm |
  2. nick2

Gosh – how unpatriotic ! I am quite distressed. The big losers will be Saturday Night Live and all the late night hosts.

May 16, 2011 01:31 pm at 1:31 pm |
  3. joseph

I thank God this man is not running for any goverment office, because of his history of claimed bankruptcy in the past. I guess if the US could claim bankruptcy we could balance the budget faster and start over like him.

May 16, 2011 01:31 pm at 1:31 pm |
  4. dm

I like having a trouble maker in the mix...keeps it interesting and even though I know it's not true, it feels like it keeps "them" honest...

May 16, 2011 01:31 pm at 1:31 pm |
  5. Quinton

A punch line is the final part of a joke, comedy sketch, or profound statement, usually the word, sentence or exchange of sentences which is intended to be funny or to provoke laughter or thought from listeners.

May 16, 2011 01:31 pm at 1:31 pm |
  6. Darrell S.

I'm all for anyone running for the office of US President, and I mean anyone. However, I'm really happy to hear Trump won't be running. It would be great if we had some upstanding citizens running for the office, rather than circus side shows. Well, at least we'll have one less side show. As for upstanding citizens, I'm still waiting!

May 16, 2011 01:31 pm at 1:31 pm |
  7. Eric

I'm voting for whomever doesn't get Trump's endorsement. It's the kiss of death!

May 16, 2011 01:31 pm at 1:31 pm |
  8. Tom

LOL. He's convinced he would have won the election, but he decided to remain a businessman? Because he's not interested in becoming the most powerful man in the world? I find that hard to believe. More likely, he knew that the country would be laughing its tails off at him for the next year while he said one stupid thing after another.

May 16, 2011 01:31 pm at 1:31 pm |
  9. Rjones

Ya just what this country needs a billionaire to run things. The middle class is already being destroyed by the Republicans.

May 16, 2011 01:31 pm at 1:31 pm |
  10. Peter

I'm still waiting for the results from his investigation into Obama's birth........plus he also said that something was missing re the birth records. Well, Trump, where are the results? Moron...

May 16, 2011 01:31 pm at 1:31 pm |
  11. Rejoice Daniel

When u want to run 4 the office of the president make sure u dnt start by attacking those already there.its an old line that no longer have any effect.

May 16, 2011 01:50 pm at 1:50 pm |
  12. C. Reginald Rivers

Donald Trump was never a serious canidate for the presidency. There is no way this clown could pass the vetting process. The Unites States of America's citizens would not elect a morally corrupt, unscrupulous, deceitful, lieing scoundrel such as The Donald. True he would have gotten some votes. Remember there were some black people in Lousiana that voted for David Duke. Donald, I am disappointed.

May 16, 2011 01:50 pm at 1:50 pm |
  13. THE USA

Look, for me its either Ron Paul or I am voting another eight years for Obama.

May 16, 2011 01:50 pm at 1:50 pm |
  14. Adult44

Wow... what an egomaniac. He just couldn't have stated he wasn't running and apologized to the American public and to the world for exposing us to his egomania....was kind of looking forward to seeing him throw a " BF " in his 1st debate where he couldn't over talk the others and then fire them.... this truly is a great day in America!!

May 16, 2011 01:50 pm at 1:50 pm |
  15. HooHah

Anybody who can't see that this guy is a phony is easily fooled. His father made the family's empire and money. Donald wasn't all that much of a successful businessman, he just built upon a great family fortune. He bankrupted Eastern Airlines, and his casinos have filed for bankruptcy numerous times. He hasn't built anything in well over a decade; he's only sold his name to other developers for a fee. And, to self-finance a run for the presidency is supposed to run $500+ million these days. When his whole persona is how much money he's made or making or will make or could have made, then the idea that he would spend $500 million of his own money on anything is just plain nuts. Money means too much to him, and a run for the presidency would require him to make his finances known to the world. One person recently said he's worth $200 million, and not the $5 billion he claims.

May 16, 2011 01:51 pm at 1:51 pm |
  16. Beverly - NYC

Poor Donald, finally figured out the majority of American are just not that into you. Seek therapy Donald, your statement proves you are delusional. Now you can keep those financials secret Donald. Glad you will be filling the "Joe the Plumber " slot for the eventual nominee. My thanks to the suit at NBC who obviously called the Donald and told him to pull the plug on his imaginary candidacy before the finale, guess the dip in viewership and sponsors last week spoke voulmes.

May 16, 2011 01:51 pm at 1:51 pm |
  17. El Kababa

If only Trump's abilities matched Trump's self-esteem, what a president he would make ...

May 16, 2011 01:51 pm at 1:51 pm |
  18. The Mad R@p3r

Awwwwwwwww yeaaaaah! Thank god I won't have to listen to his blathering about politics anymore.

May 16, 2011 01:51 pm at 1:51 pm |
  19. joe1129

The GOPers are dropping like flies

May 16, 2011 01:51 pm at 1:51 pm |
  20. Name Janice

Thank goodness that sideshow is done! He really has been a self centered joke.

May 16, 2011 01:51 pm at 1:51 pm |
  21. DK is OK

"I maintain the strong conviction that if I were to run, I would be able to win the primary and ultimately, the general election."
    Is he out of his mind...If he wants to take care of America let him take his "savvy business head" and his construction company to New Orleans and Mississippi and rebuild neighborhoods. Let him help the Americans who have given their "sweat and souls" to rebuilding Haiti. Enough of his "gold guilded" Trump Towers in major cities around our country, and the "lush" golf courses for "all his friends " across Amerca!
    He sure knows how to win friends around the world by not knowing when to keep his mouth shut and trying to be diplomatic! Mr. Trump...stick to your reality show...this is all the coverage you deserve!

May 16, 2011 01:51 pm at 1:51 pm |
  22. John1450

Not surprising at all. I knew when the heat got turned up, he'd cut and run. Mr Trump, don't talk the talk unless you can walk the walk. Yeah the American economy is not like the companies you're used to running into the ground. It's a little more involved. This isn't 'the Apprentice'.

May 16, 2011 01:51 pm at 1:51 pm |
  23. Vesstair

I'm so shocked. I mean, really. I am flabbergasted.

Oh... Not that Trump isn't ponying up and running for President. I've expected that since he first started talking. No, I'm shocked that he put out a press release which was 3 (!!!) paragraphs, and he didn't mention "The Celebrity Apprentice" once!!!

May 16, 2011 01:51 pm at 1:51 pm |
  24. colinsux

I like how he says he's going to "push for job creation" when he (big business owner) is one of the people who should already actually be creating said jobs.

May 16, 2011 01:51 pm at 1:51 pm |
  25. mark

Mr Obama was installed by the private banking cartel known as the federal reserve,they financed the Bolshevik revolution in 1917 and they are communist to the core and terribly racist ,Obama and his CIA wife are both of the same ideology. No one ever questions the federal reserve they are totally criminal and murderous, don't ever believe anything a communist says ,they always lie, just watch what they do,but just like the media they control the people of this nation have minds filled with their lies and atrocities and they believe they are free people-"permit me to control and issue the currency of any ,and I care not who makes its laws" mayer

May 16, 2011 01:52 pm at 1:52 pm |