Trump not running for president
May 16th, 2011

Trump not running for president

(CNN) - Real estate mogul and television celebrity Donald Trump, who generated a media publicity blitz by saying he might run for president in 2012, announced Monday that he will instead remain a businessman.

"After considerable deliberation and reflection, I have decided not to pursue the office of the presidency," Trump said in a statement.

With his typical bravado, Trump maintained that he would have won the Republican primary and the general election, but recognized that "running for public office cannot be done half-heartedly."

"Ultimately, however, business is my greatest passion and I am not ready to leave the private sector," Trump said in the statement.

Trump's flirtation with running for the Republican nomination included his demand that President Barack Obama make public his full birth certificate from Hawaii.

Obama previously had provided a shorter version that serves as the public record in Hawaii, but amid the media glare on the issue raised in part by Trump's repeated questioning of whether the so-called long version of the document existed, the president released it last month.

At an NBC presentation of the network's fall line-up, Trump, star of "Celebrity Apprentice," said "NBC has been amazing. This will be our 12th season and I have to say I love 'Celebrity Apprentice.'"

"I will not be running for president as much as I'd like to," Trump added.

Full release:

"After considerable deliberation and reflection, I have decided not to pursue the office of the Presidency. This decision does not come easily or without regret; especially when my potential candidacy continues to be validated by ranking at the top of the Republican contenders in polls across the country. I maintain the strong conviction that if I were to run, I would be able to win the primary and ultimately, the general election. I have spent the past several months unofficially campaigning and recognize that running for public office cannot be done half heartedly. Ultimately, however, business is my greatest passion and I am not ready to leave the private sector.

I want to personally thank the millions of Americans who have joined the various Trump grassroots movements and written me letters and e-mails encouraging me to run. My gratitude for your faith and trust in me could never be expressed properly in words. So, I make you this promise: that I will continue to voice my opinions loudly and help to shape our politician's thoughts. My ability to bring important economic and foreign policy issues to the forefront of the national dialogue is perhaps my greatest asset and one of the most valuable services I can provide to this country. I will continue to push our President and the country's policy makers to address the dire challenges arising from our unsustainable debt structure and increasing lack of global competitiveness. Issues, including getting tough on China and other countries that are methodically and systematically taking advantage of the United States, were seldom mentioned before I brought them to the forefront of the country's conversation. They are now being debated vigorously. I will also continue to push for job creation, an initiative that should be this country's top priority and something that I know a lot about. I will not shy away from expressing the opinions that so many of you share yet don't have a medium through which to articulate.

I look forward to supporting the candidate who is the most qualified to help us tackle our country's most important issues and am hopeful that, when this person emerges, he or she will have the courage to take on the challenges of the Office and be the agent of change that this country so desperately needs."

Thank you and God Bless America!
Donald J. Trump

Filed under: 2012 • Donald Trump
  1. Gee, there'a a surprise! A publicity stunt? Who'd of thunk it?

His mouth made quite a run of it, but he himself won't. Instead, he made weeks of headlines predictably seeking to scratch his ego, but little else–other than making a big ass of himself. If he had one ounce of class, he would issue an apology to the POTUS and possibly to the public.

May 16, 2011 12:56 pm at 12:56 pm |
  2. NVa Native

Duh! – Of course he's not running for any thing, he's always been selling his crappy show!!

May 16, 2011 12:56 pm at 12:56 pm |
  3. Dave Jaipersaud

Another chicken. He is too afraid of loosing. He has no b–s. He makes a lot of noise but has nothing to stand on. Typical Republican. Hey Trump! put you money where your mouth is. Are you a mommy's boy who is too afraid of playing with the big boys. You dissapoint me. You chicken.

May 16, 2011 12:56 pm at 12:56 pm |
  4. Dominican mama 4 Obama

Another 'pretender' to the throne bites the dust.
    I wonder who their "surprise" candidate is going to be? Huntsman possibly...?
    A lot of flies are clearing the runway, but for whom?
    Stay tuned, the GobP saga continues.......

May 16, 2011 12:56 pm at 12:56 pm |
  5. Donnatella

I love it, the Chump knew his number was up. To bad so many idiots out their got fooled once again. He could not get elected dog catcher let alone president LOL

May 16, 2011 12:56 pm at 12:56 pm |
  6. Foo foo

So now that the polls show zero chances for the Donald, he 'realizes' he loves too much the private sector? Amazing coincidence...

May 16, 2011 12:56 pm at 12:56 pm |
  7. Palinwho

Oh no. 2 whackos are out. This is a once in life time opportunity to see a bunch of clowns debating for the GOP nomination. I hope Palin is not reading the news. Come on Sarah, we need ur common sense .

May 16, 2011 12:58 pm at 12:58 pm |
  8. Andy

And this surprises...absolutely no one.

May 16, 2011 12:58 pm at 12:58 pm |
  9. S.B. Stein E.B. NJ

Trump could not be an effective president because he was too much a power hog like Christie from NJ. I don't believe he had the tact to be the head of the country, nor do I beleive fully that he understood that he couldn't fire Congress as much as he would have liked to do that. I don't believe he had a full grasp of the policy issues except when they related to his businesses bottom lines.

May 16, 2011 12:58 pm at 12:58 pm |
  10. THANK GOD

It's official, the crazy man is not running. But I think everyone already knew that he was not going to run. This was a good way for him to get ratings for his show.

May 16, 2011 12:58 pm at 12:58 pm |
  11. EddyL

AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

May 16, 2011 12:58 pm at 12:58 pm |
  12. REG in AZ

Talk, talk, talk, and more talk ... that is what Trump does best. I always imagined a Republican ticket of Trump-Palin / Palin-Trump (which way would have been an interesting fight) and thought about the abundance of rhetoric that would have flowed without any real content or meaningful points made – it would have been a real side-show. I guess what Trump did now, admit inadequacy and pull out, is probably the best thing he could ever do for the country. To bad we will miss the show ... oh well, there still always is Palin.

May 16, 2011 12:59 pm at 12:59 pm |
  13. AGuest9

Almost fell over from the shock... NOT!
    Come on. It was a ratings thing for his show and a boost for his gigantic ego, what did you expect?

May 16, 2011 12:59 pm at 12:59 pm |
  14. Michelle

Is silly season coming to an end?

May 16, 2011 12:59 pm at 12:59 pm |
  15. Mike NC

So, basically, Donald Trump got fired even before he got hired!!! Way to go, Donald.

May 16, 2011 12:59 pm at 12:59 pm |
  16. kleiner86

This is the 4th time he has come out and danced around a run for president, and like the other 4 times the bafoon never runs anything except his mouth.

May 16, 2011 01:00 pm at 1:00 pm |
  17. Bill

Pity. I was looking forward to seeing DT ruin the Republican Party and assure President Obama of an easy re-election.

May 16, 2011 01:00 pm at 1:00 pm |
  18. oz

If he is that convinced that he will win the nomination and the presidency, why NOT run then? That's kind of like saying if I interview for that job, i know i will get it so thats why i wont interview.. ??? makes NO sense. Moron

May 16, 2011 01:00 pm at 1:00 pm |
  19. St8sman7

Another one bites the dust. First Huckabee, now the clown Trump. Hopefully bailin' Palin is next. Then we can get down to the serious business of discrediting the rest of these republican thugs.

May 16, 2011 01:00 pm at 1:00 pm |
  20. Regina Hill

was this really a surprise for anyone? just a ploy to boost ratings for his tv show(s) and his own business agenda. one down and many more idiots to go!

May 16, 2011 01:00 pm at 1:00 pm |
  21. WaitWhat

The second sentence of his statement says it all! What an egomaniac. A poll just came out today that said about 2/3 of the country did NOT want him to run. Where does he get his info! I, for one, would have loved to see him run with Sarah Palin as VP. SNL would have been so much better!

May 16, 2011 01:00 pm at 1:00 pm |
  22. Carter Nash

I wish I was an idiot...then I would be suprised

May 16, 2011 01:00 pm at 1:00 pm |
  23. Dariya Daniel

how moronic.....after all the media fracas, after all the unofficial campaigns and now he decides not to run....sucks

May 16, 2011 01:01 pm at 1:01 pm |
  24. hanshi

Too bad. If he would have acted like a grown-up he might have been able to do a good job.

May 16, 2011 01:01 pm at 1:01 pm |
  25. Lardoggy

Sounds to me like CNN does NOT like Trump at all !!!!!

May 16, 2011 01:01 pm at 1:01 pm |