Trump not running for president
May 16th, 2011

Trump not running for president

(CNN) - Real estate mogul and television celebrity Donald Trump, who generated a media publicity blitz by saying he might run for president in 2012, announced Monday that he will instead remain a businessman.

"After considerable deliberation and reflection, I have decided not to pursue the office of the presidency," Trump said in a statement.

With his typical bravado, Trump maintained that he would have won the Republican primary and the general election, but recognized that "running for public office cannot be done half-heartedly."

"Ultimately, however, business is my greatest passion and I am not ready to leave the private sector," Trump said in the statement.

Trump's flirtation with running for the Republican nomination included his demand that President Barack Obama make public his full birth certificate from Hawaii.

Obama previously had provided a shorter version that serves as the public record in Hawaii, but amid the media glare on the issue raised in part by Trump's repeated questioning of whether the so-called long version of the document existed, the president released it last month.

At an NBC presentation of the network's fall line-up, Trump, star of "Celebrity Apprentice," said "NBC has been amazing. This will be our 12th season and I have to say I love 'Celebrity Apprentice.'"

"I will not be running for president as much as I'd like to," Trump added.

Full release:

"After considerable deliberation and reflection, I have decided not to pursue the office of the Presidency. This decision does not come easily or without regret; especially when my potential candidacy continues to be validated by ranking at the top of the Republican contenders in polls across the country. I maintain the strong conviction that if I were to run, I would be able to win the primary and ultimately, the general election. I have spent the past several months unofficially campaigning and recognize that running for public office cannot be done half heartedly. Ultimately, however, business is my greatest passion and I am not ready to leave the private sector.

I want to personally thank the millions of Americans who have joined the various Trump grassroots movements and written me letters and e-mails encouraging me to run. My gratitude for your faith and trust in me could never be expressed properly in words. So, I make you this promise: that I will continue to voice my opinions loudly and help to shape our politician's thoughts. My ability to bring important economic and foreign policy issues to the forefront of the national dialogue is perhaps my greatest asset and one of the most valuable services I can provide to this country. I will continue to push our President and the country's policy makers to address the dire challenges arising from our unsustainable debt structure and increasing lack of global competitiveness. Issues, including getting tough on China and other countries that are methodically and systematically taking advantage of the United States, were seldom mentioned before I brought them to the forefront of the country's conversation. They are now being debated vigorously. I will also continue to push for job creation, an initiative that should be this country's top priority and something that I know a lot about. I will not shy away from expressing the opinions that so many of you share yet don't have a medium through which to articulate.

I look forward to supporting the candidate who is the most qualified to help us tackle our country's most important issues and am hopeful that, when this person emerges, he or she will have the courage to take on the challenges of the Office and be the agent of change that this country so desperately needs."

Thank you and God Bless America!
Donald J. Trump

Filed under: 2012 • Donald Trump
  1. joe

i don't know how his own family cannot be embarrased about this fool of a man

May 16, 2011 01:05 pm at 1:05 pm |
  2. jt_flyer

A sad day for comedians world wide. When Obama lit him up... I knew he was finished.

May 16, 2011 01:05 pm at 1:05 pm |
  3. Ren

The real "CHUMP" surfaced... funny thing he never released his financial records stating how much of a CHUMP & fraud he really is..

May 16, 2011 01:05 pm at 1:05 pm |
  4. Mike

Say it ain't so Mr. Trump!

I was hoping you'd be Obama's ace to win re-election.

May 16, 2011 01:06 pm at 1:06 pm |
  5. Big_D

I still want his tax records. A deal is a deal. I bet he is a tax cheat and doesn't want everyone in the USA to hate him.

May 16, 2011 01:06 pm at 1:06 pm |
  6. foxnewshound

What a pile of dirt that man is, but he got the free publicity he sought. The media should sent him a bill.

May 16, 2011 01:06 pm at 1:06 pm |
  7. Al-NY,NY

He was scared that he'd have to open his books and be exposed for the fraud that he really is. Hopefully he will stay on and continue to spout the ridiculous rantings that will sink whichever candidate the GOP wishes to put up for the public humiliation they will get in November

May 16, 2011 01:06 pm at 1:06 pm |
  8. Duderonomy13

Darn I was really looking forward to watching Celebrity Vice-President.. at least for the first few seasons..

May 16, 2011 01:06 pm at 1:06 pm |
  9. Mike S

Not surprising... did anyone really think he was going to run? This was a pub stunt, plain and simple. And it worked, Trump isn't dumb...

May 16, 2011 01:06 pm at 1:06 pm |
  10. Sandy

Does Trump read the posts after his articles...this is what the MAJORITY of posts say...We knew you were lying about running. You are not the "Billionaire" you proclaim to be and you did not keep you "word" as you so often say by releasing your finiancial documents or net worth. You Mr. Trump...ARE FIRED!

It is laughable that he STILL thinks he can win if he entered...if he really thought this, then why is he bowing out? Trump has this attitude, if I say it then it is so...No Mr. Trump. We the people don't want a showboater. We don't want a man who made money from terriost countries, we don't want a white hose with gold embelishments, we don't want a President that has chated on his wives...we don't want you...

The Country have spoken...wheel your case out the door....YOU ARE NOT HIRED!!!!!!!!!!

May 16, 2011 01:06 pm at 1:06 pm |
  11. Brian

His candidacy was ginned up by the liberal media to discredit the GOP. His political contributions show Mr. Trump is a devoted liberal with huge contributions going to the likes of Charlie Rangel and other liberal icons. He does not represent the conservative movement in any way!

May 16, 2011 01:06 pm at 1:06 pm |
  12. Kathy

Why are people surprised? He did the exact same thing back in the 90's. His show was tanking in the ratings and he did this for the free publicity.

May 16, 2011 01:06 pm at 1:06 pm |
  13. bilrib1

Every play needs a buffoon.Whats scary is that he probably really believes the garbage he spews. Maybe he should run on the Smoke and Mirrors ticket.

May 16, 2011 01:06 pm at 1:06 pm |
  14. tpjockey

What a surprise! NOT!

May 16, 2011 01:06 pm at 1:06 pm |
  15. Jim

Good. Now when does Newt Gingrich announce that he is no longer running?

May 16, 2011 01:07 pm at 1:07 pm |
  16. Big_D

I still want his tax records. A deal is a deal.

May 16, 2011 01:07 pm at 1:07 pm |
  17. once upon a horse

Trump had made mention very early about possibly the "BIGGEST SCAM" in American history......well all you dolts that supported him just got PUNKED!! You were part of his reality show and once again Donald is laughing all the way to the bank. I doubt if he even cares about how stupid it made him look. What really matters is that he managed to fool enough on the right to boost him in their polls to the top. It's true that there is s sucker born every minute.

May 16, 2011 01:07 pm at 1:07 pm |
  18. Conic

Mr. Trump. You had my full support. The USA is a corporation; a business. Turning this country around financially would have been a wonderful challenge for you. We really need someone who is business savvy; someone who has been bankrupted, became rich, been bankrupted and became rich a few times. YOU would have known how to get this corporation back to its former state of glory.

But, if you are not going to run for president because your private business takes precedence, then, going forward, please keep your mouth shut. If you are not the president, you have no more of a voice than any other American. So, please keep your future opinions to yourself. I, for one, no longer want to hear them. Are you hiding something? Are you afraid that maybe you're not as good as you make yourself out to be and that this will come to light? Since you choose to not put your money where your mouth is, I now consider you just another pompous windbag. Please silently fade back into the background where you and others like you - all talk and no action - belong.

Thank you.

May 16, 2011 01:07 pm at 1:07 pm |
  19. Robert

Can anyone say "surprised"? Seriously, what did you all think? It was good while it lasted. He never believed anything he said. His ranting and raving did marvels to his show. You have to give him credit for knowing the meaning of: "no one has ever gone broke underestimating the collective intelligence of the American people."

May 16, 2011 01:07 pm at 1:07 pm |
  20. 11:11

He was never running to begin with. He served his purpose of boosting Obama's ratings in the polls. The real question is whether it was intentional or not? Watching politicians is like watching a shell game scam. It's all an act.

May 16, 2011 01:07 pm at 1:07 pm |
  21. Lee

Phew...There is a God......

May 16, 2011 01:07 pm at 1:07 pm |
  22. Deb

Wooooo hooooo...let the celebrations commence...LOL.

May 16, 2011 01:07 pm at 1:07 pm |
  23. Joel

of course he's not running – he is just a publicity whore who will do anything or say anything to get his ugly face in the media, and promote his tv shows/businesses. amazing how the media always falls all over him each time he does this. next time he will be a democrat, or an independent, or whatever he needs to be to get the spotlight. what a poor example of a human being.

May 16, 2011 01:07 pm at 1:07 pm |
  24. Kevin

After he got totally destroyed at the Correspondents Dinner, and showed that he can dish out criticism...yet can't take it himself...his bowing out was a forgone conclusion.

How someone can take this man seriously is beyond belief. Notice that he doesn't give any reasons for not running..even though he is convinced 'himself' he would win if he ran.

And after listening to months of his "character assassination" attempts on Obama, where is the PROOF that Trump says he had regarding birth certificate issues? He's never produced anything, he's like the Joseph McCarthy of the 1950's. Personally I'd like to see the bills related to the private investigators he supposedly hired and sent to Hawaii. I doubt they even exist...which would just prove he's a liar as well.

May 16, 2011 01:07 pm at 1:07 pm |
  25. Mike S

Orchid333 – He is, in fact, rated at the top. Did you live under a rock last week??? Almost every network had something about how he was listed at the top of republican polls.

May 16, 2011 01:07 pm at 1:07 pm |