Trump not running for president
May 16th, 2011

Trump not running for president

(CNN) - Real estate mogul and television celebrity Donald Trump, who generated a media publicity blitz by saying he might run for president in 2012, announced Monday that he will instead remain a businessman.

"After considerable deliberation and reflection, I have decided not to pursue the office of the presidency," Trump said in a statement.

With his typical bravado, Trump maintained that he would have won the Republican primary and the general election, but recognized that "running for public office cannot be done half-heartedly."

"Ultimately, however, business is my greatest passion and I am not ready to leave the private sector," Trump said in the statement.

Trump's flirtation with running for the Republican nomination included his demand that President Barack Obama make public his full birth certificate from Hawaii.

Obama previously had provided a shorter version that serves as the public record in Hawaii, but amid the media glare on the issue raised in part by Trump's repeated questioning of whether the so-called long version of the document existed, the president released it last month.

At an NBC presentation of the network's fall line-up, Trump, star of "Celebrity Apprentice," said "NBC has been amazing. This will be our 12th season and I have to say I love 'Celebrity Apprentice.'"

"I will not be running for president as much as I'd like to," Trump added.

Full release:

"After considerable deliberation and reflection, I have decided not to pursue the office of the Presidency. This decision does not come easily or without regret; especially when my potential candidacy continues to be validated by ranking at the top of the Republican contenders in polls across the country. I maintain the strong conviction that if I were to run, I would be able to win the primary and ultimately, the general election. I have spent the past several months unofficially campaigning and recognize that running for public office cannot be done half heartedly. Ultimately, however, business is my greatest passion and I am not ready to leave the private sector.

I want to personally thank the millions of Americans who have joined the various Trump grassroots movements and written me letters and e-mails encouraging me to run. My gratitude for your faith and trust in me could never be expressed properly in words. So, I make you this promise: that I will continue to voice my opinions loudly and help to shape our politician's thoughts. My ability to bring important economic and foreign policy issues to the forefront of the national dialogue is perhaps my greatest asset and one of the most valuable services I can provide to this country. I will continue to push our President and the country's policy makers to address the dire challenges arising from our unsustainable debt structure and increasing lack of global competitiveness. Issues, including getting tough on China and other countries that are methodically and systematically taking advantage of the United States, were seldom mentioned before I brought them to the forefront of the country's conversation. They are now being debated vigorously. I will also continue to push for job creation, an initiative that should be this country's top priority and something that I know a lot about. I will not shy away from expressing the opinions that so many of you share yet don't have a medium through which to articulate.

I look forward to supporting the candidate who is the most qualified to help us tackle our country's most important issues and am hopeful that, when this person emerges, he or she will have the courage to take on the challenges of the Office and be the agent of change that this country so desperately needs."

Thank you and God Bless America!
Donald J. Trump

Filed under: 2012 • Donald Trump
  1. nancy

ha ha ha!!!
    shocker!!! what a publicity stunt!! God!!!! who cares about him. he already made spectacle of himself asking obama for birthcertificate!! thank god he came to his senses

May 16, 2011 01:08 pm at 1:08 pm |
  2. N Kasparian

This makes me and my partner very sad. I liked what he said but he just proved that he is not credible.

May 16, 2011 01:08 pm at 1:08 pm |
  3. shalb

why is anyone surprised by this?

Ratings ratings ratings for Apprentice!

May 16, 2011 01:08 pm at 1:08 pm |
  4. Rex

Haaaa what a joker

May 16, 2011 01:08 pm at 1:08 pm |
  5. Lincoln Place

So maybe The Donald isn't as stupid as he looks!

May 16, 2011 01:08 pm at 1:08 pm |
  6. MGM

" will continue to push our President and the country's policy makers to address the dire challenges arising from our unsustainable debt structure" Ironic that the CEO of so many bankrupt Casinos would have the nerve to discuss unsustainable debt structure. Stick to TV and making cheap ties at Macy's Donald.

May 16, 2011 01:08 pm at 1:08 pm |
  7. Keith

This is how all Republicans are: Lots of talking and no action!!! A group that is just good in saying No no no no.... this is all they are about.

Bye Bye Trumpf!!!

May 16, 2011 01:08 pm at 1:08 pm |
  8. cp125

Noooooo..he was perfect as a GOP candidate (fit right in the pool of the other idiots)!
    A savy reporter should look into his finances and the many bancruptcies to see if all was on the level. It could prevent the idiot from trying to run again. It is sad though, defeatinghim would have been so much fun.

May 16, 2011 01:08 pm at 1:08 pm |
  9. Deirdre O

The guy can dish it out b ut can't take it. Just watch his facial expessions at the White House press dinner. WIMP.
    He has too thin a skin to EVER be President.

May 16, 2011 01:08 pm at 1:08 pm |
  10. Richard

Too Bad. I was looking forward to her some of the debates. I am sure they would have been very entertaining.

May 16, 2011 01:08 pm at 1:08 pm |
  11. SadlySensible

Well, duh. The Bloviated One is through trying to rack up publicity for ~whatever~. He and Charlie Sheen should join up and take their show on the road.

May 16, 2011 01:08 pm at 1:08 pm |
  12. KBNJ

No need to read the story, headline's the best "news" today. Not really news, though, for anyone bright enough see through this self-serving, ethics-are-for-others ego maniac. Anyone who thought he would go through the very hard work of campaigning when he can basically do nothing but act like an idiot and make millions doesn't have a clue who Trump is.

13. Donna

Trump may be rich and business smart, but he is the biggest idiot around. Get a hair cut and stay off tv.

14. Kristal

what a joke this fraud is obama would have trounced him and every1 of his dummy followers know this 2 b fact hes a 1 liner joke of a businessman raised with a golden spoon in his mouth blowhead moron braggart that squeals on himself ripping tyrants off how many more has he stolen from he should be embarrased his poor wife do not worry hon your money is on route just take care of yourself hes fat ugly and has the hair of a rat oh ya your fianancial statements please u blowhard leach

15. bindlestif

What a blowhard. Nothing but a loud mouth with plastic hair.

16. The Next Apprentice

Trump – you're fired! Even though you were not going to be hired!!

17. Marinemom627

He's not running because he knows he's a joke!

18. melodramatic

Trump is one big time dummy.

19. honestly people...

He never intended to run for president. He was just trying to boost ratings for his reality tv show.

20. jan

I am a bit disappointed. Saturday Night Live, just lost a boat load of material. Not that the well is, by any means, dry...Michelle Bachmann and Sarah Palin are still around.

21. Bigpoppa

Too bad he went so negative, if he could have just stuck with the ISSUES just maybe he could have made a respectable run

22. Lola

This man is delusional. Can't even look at him. Thank goodness he has seen the light.

23. Big_D

He is like Palin. They are both a waste of voter’s time because they are quitters.

24. Thinking7

I think the majority of Republicans never really considered Trump in the first place. CNN only covered this to get attention.

25. JS Ragman

What choice did this buffoon have after he was made to look like a complete fool at the correspondants dinner?