Huckabee adviser jumps to Huntsman
May 16th, 2011

Huckabee adviser jumps to Huntsman

(CNN) – Two days after former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee announced he will not run for the GOP presidential nomination in 2012, one of his advisers has thrown his support behind former Utah Gov. Jon Huntsman.

Mike Campbell, the son of former South Carolina Gov. Carroll Campbell and the South Carolina Chairman for Mike Huckabee's 2008 presidential campaign, said he was "extremely impressed" with Huntsman, who has yet to decide if he will run in 2012.

"Like all of us who worked so hard for my good friend Mike Huckabee's 2008 campaign, I was disappointed he decided not to run for president this year. However, in the quest to replace Barack Obama, we must quickly look to the future," Campbell said in a statement Monday. "As more South Carolinians get to know Governor Huntsman, I believe they will come to the same conclusion I have – that he is the right leader for our party and our country in this important election."

The statement comes as former Minnesota Gov. and potential 2012 candidate Tim Pawlenty is expanding his political operation in the Palmetto State, which holds the first-in-the-South presidential primary.

Campbell said he spoke with Huntsman, the former U.S. ambassador to China, earlier Monday and "strongly urged him to run for the Republican nomination for president and offered my enthusiastic support if he does."

– CNN Political Reporter Peter Hamby contributed to this report

Filed under: 2012 • Jon Huntsman • Mike Huckabee
  1. Claudia, Houston, Tx

Faux news greased preacher Huckabee's palm and he sold out politics and forget about preaching. If I were Huntsman I'd stay away from any of Huckabee's people because they've been sent down the river without a paddle already.

May 16, 2011 04:52 pm at 4:52 pm |
  2. Concerned4Fla

So what are his policies?

May 16, 2011 05:03 pm at 5:03 pm |
  3. FM

Sorry this man doesn't fall in the list of trustful people. He seems he has no royality and how can he expect people to be royal to him: I do not get it!!

May 16, 2011 05:03 pm at 5:03 pm |
  4. gt

obama like and trusts the guy...for what ever thats worth...

May 16, 2011 05:40 pm at 5:40 pm |
  5. Luke Brown

Who is this guy and what has he ever done to warrant being President?

Obama appointed him to one of the most prestigious diplomatic posts in the world, and this is how Huntman thanks him? As least we know he's an opportunist and an ingrate... key personality traits of most contenders for the GOP nomination.

I love these rich people who unselfishly respond to their own call for themselves to be the next leader of the free world.

May 16, 2011 05:56 pm at 5:56 pm |
  6. Stenquist34

As a native of Utah. HUNTSMAN 2012 :) .He was a great Gov and i miss him.

May 16, 2011 05:59 pm at 5:59 pm |
  7. Aaron

I thought that Huntsman might the sole sane Repub candidate. If he's getting sloppy seconds from Huckabee (and a SCer to boot), he's alot further to the extreme right than he initially appeared.

May 16, 2011 06:52 pm at 6:52 pm |
  8. T'sah from Virginia

Does the RIGHT take running for President SERIOUS?????????? Like hop-scotch, they jump from one candidate to another!! Jeez!

And I am waiting for a Ticker again – because I might have missed it earlier – to talk about ginGRINCH and his "Food Stamp" remark!!!!

May 16, 2011 07:26 pm at 7:26 pm |
  9. skarphace

As far as I know, Huntsman has not discredited himself by slinging mud at our current President via the 'birther' or 'Muslim' insults. As long as he is willing to discuss the issues that matter to America, I am willing to listen to him.

As a moderate, my vote is not 100% for Obama, but it will not go to anybody who refuses to discuss the issues and instead insists on trying to discredit Obama. Tell us why you are better than Obama. Do not tell us why Obama is worse than you.

May 16, 2011 08:03 pm at 8:03 pm |
  10. The Greedy Old Pigs have declared class war on America!

Huntsman is just the GOBPbaggers latest Great White Dope. His only claim to fame is that he is a multimillionaire and former Gov of Utah. Basically, he's Mitt Romney without the health care baggage. Of course, once his business practices are scrutinized, chances are we'll learn he's just as sleazy as all the other Greedy Old Pigs who want to screw the poor, the workers, the middle class and the environment.

May 16, 2011 08:10 pm at 8:10 pm |
  11. skarphace

@Luke Brown: Huntsman could have refused the post that Obama offered if he was partisan and didn't want to help American foreign policy during a time of a Democratic presidency. Even though he got flack from fellow Republicans for the decision, he decided to take the post and did a very good job at it.

Therefore, he is not being an opportunist. If he believes he can be better at the job of POTUS than Obama, then it is his right, and even his duty, to run and convince the majority of Americans that he is the better man for the job.

Personally, I would welcome a Huntsman candidancy and look forward to hearing him in the debates. I say the same of any other respectful Republican, Romney and Paul included.

May 16, 2011 08:13 pm at 8:13 pm |