Secret Service apologizes for Twitter gaffe
May 18th, 2011

Secret Service apologizes for Twitter gaffe

(CNN) – The Secret Service is apologizing Wednesday after an employee's personal dislike for Fox News landed in an official tweet.

The message, posted Wednesday on the @SecretService Twitter account read, "Had to monitor Fox for a story. Can't. Deal. With. The. Blathering."

According to the agency, the tweet was "immediately removed" and an "internal follow-up" is underway.

"An employee with access to the Secret Service's Twitter account, who mistakenly believed they were on their personal account, posted an unapproved and inappropriate tweet," read a statement from the U.S. Secret Service. "We apologize for this mistake, and the user no longer has access to our official account. Policies and practices which would have prevented this were not followed and will be reinforced for all account users."

The Secret Service newly joined Twitter with its first official tweet from @SecretService on May 9, 2011.

Filed under: Twitter
  1. fred

The Secret Service maintains an official twitter account? This is a joke, right?

May 18, 2011 07:39 pm at 7:39 pm |
  2. ReallyGettingTiredofThis

OK all you bashers...please get back to doing what you all do best – living off the system,
    What's the Secret Service need to tweet for anyway? So they can keep tabs on the seemingly nonstop Presidential trips on Air Force One? Enough already!

May 18, 2011 07:41 pm at 7:41 pm |
  3. John

> "An employee ...who mistakenly believed they were on their personal account"

I thought there were rules against government employees conducting personal business on tax payer funded equipment? Why is no one pressing this as well?

May 18, 2011 07:43 pm at 7:43 pm |
  4. A disgusted former Republican

I second OneMore Time. I can't handle the blathering and lies on Fox and I offer no apologies. Fox, deal with it!

May 18, 2011 07:45 pm at 7:45 pm |
  5. evets2010

Well at least the secret service agrees with the rest of sane Americans out there.

May 18, 2011 07:54 pm at 7:54 pm |
  6. Rob in MO

Why penalize the guy for speaking the truth? What happened to freedom of speech?

May 18, 2011 07:55 pm at 7:55 pm |
  7. LegendRx

As I go to my window and stick my head out to yell " I CAN'T TAKE FOX NEWS LIES ANYMORE . . . THEY ARE DRIVING ME MAD, I TELL YA, MAD" Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh. That felt good!

May 18, 2011 07:55 pm at 7:55 pm |
  8. Kara

Neither can I.

May 18, 2011 07:55 pm at 7:55 pm |
  9. dude123

The secret service has a twitter account? I guess the secret is out.

May 18, 2011 07:59 pm at 7:59 pm |
  10. Keor Undall

Faux News won a lawsuit in Florida by claiming that they were not required to report the "news", but rather their programming was for, and I quote, "entertainment purposes only". Look up Fox News kills Monsanto Story. Monsanto made a hormone given to cows to produce more milk, only it was carcinogenic to cows and HUMANS. Fox fired the employees who broke the story and they sued under whistle blower status and won. Fox appealed and won by stating the above quote. There should be a national, class action lawsuit filed against Fox that demands that they put the word "entertainment" between Fox and News. To suggest that we are receiving "real news" from Fox News is false advertising by their own confession.

May 18, 2011 07:59 pm at 7:59 pm |
  11. Blatherer

Why does the secret service need a twitter account?

May 18, 2011 08:01 pm at 8:01 pm |
  12. Former Republican, now an Independent

Fox News, or so they call it, should be monitored as they are twisting and withholding parts of the news to put their propaganda spin on it. They are a fanatical, fringe, neo-con group that has had a malor hand in ruining the republican party. It is because of their fanatical journalists, that they call news hosts, that the republicans in congress are afraid to make any move that is positive. Rupert Mudoch definately sees that everything is bent to favor the wealthiest Americans like himself and hires people who swear allegiance to his goals.

May 18, 2011 08:01 pm at 8:01 pm |
  13. Greg

Why does Secret Service have a Twitter Account? Isn't Twitter kind of the antithesis of "Secret Service"

May 18, 2011 08:02 pm at 8:02 pm |
  14. Don

The unfortunate things here:

1. People are again referring incorrectly to FOX "News". It has nothing to do with news. FOX Funnies, FOX Republican Party official News Organ, Fox say anything to make a buck; all fine, just don't ever use "News"

2. Fox Baloney gets free advertising.

May 18, 2011 08:05 pm at 8:05 pm |
  15. independent

Can't say I blame him/her. I try not to watch either.

May 18, 2011 08:08 pm at 8:08 pm |
  16. JimS.

This is great- the apology will get way more attention than the original tweet did!

May 18, 2011 08:13 pm at 8:13 pm |
  17. DonBeal

Add me to the chorus. I made a car dealership turn off Fox in the waiting room while I was having my car serviced. Without sound and the words at the bottom of the screen it's almost bearable. They hire female anchors with great legs. But then they start talking.

May 18, 2011 08:16 pm at 8:16 pm |
  18. mfn57

Someone in the Service didn't keep their feelings very Secret. I agree with the above who said shouldn't they be doing their job, instead of tweeting. I'm sure watching Presidents and families in some of their activities is boring too, but it's agents' jobs.

May 18, 2011 08:25 pm at 8:25 pm |
  19. bigdoglv

Plenty of blathering going on here.

May 18, 2011 08:28 pm at 8:28 pm |
  20. SilentBoy741

A *Twitter user* that can't deal with all the blathering... The irony in that is absolutely palpable.

May 18, 2011 08:28 pm at 8:28 pm |
  21. Frenchy

Why does the Secret Service have a Twitter account? Isn't it counterintuitive?

May 18, 2011 08:31 pm at 8:31 pm |
  22. The Real Tom Paine

No doubt there will be a flurry of nasty comments coming out of FOX over the ext few days. Will Murdoch order the Secret Service be de-funded, and how long before the Weeper of the House convenes hearings on the matter?

May 18, 2011 08:41 pm at 8:41 pm |
  23. DW

The Secret Service needs to change their name to the Stupid Service. This is the second article I have read today about them, the other was about how they took a 13 year old out of class and interrogated him without his parents being there because he posted on his Face Book page that the there might be retaliation against the US over the Bin Laden.

And now that I read this article I think the Secret Service employees are spending to much time surfing Face Book.

May 18, 2011 08:45 pm at 8:45 pm |
  24. trex

Way to speak the TRUTH Secret Service. ......... it is simply the truth..................

May 18, 2011 08:46 pm at 8:46 pm |
  25. Judas

Oh my, somebody in government dared to be critical of FOX (a.k.a – The Joseph Goebbels Network). Get ready for Congressional Republicans to start legislating to defund the Secret Service just like they did to NPR, PBS and Planned Parenthood.

May 18, 2011 08:46 pm at 8:46 pm |