Washington (CNN) - The Senate rejected a Republican measure Wednesday to expand offshore oil and gas drilling in U.S. coastal waters, signaling a continued partisan stalemate over energy policy and, more specifically, how to respond to rising gas prices.
The bill was defeated in a 42-57 vote. Sixty votes were required for passage.
Alternate energy, Fuel-efficiency, Oil-Independence...needed in the nation....o.k, use hydro carbon vehicles...solar, etc,
No surprise here.
Good for the senate. Drilling will have essentially no impact on gas supply or prices. Oil companies all ready have dozens of drilling permits that they are not using. We need to fix the problems that led to the disasterous gulf spill before we go around drilling, drilling, drilling.
Democrats are Hell-bent on BANKRUPTING the U.S.
Good ! The Democrats can play the same game the moron GOP plays.
As it should. Cutting the "Big Oil" tax breaks won't reduce gasoline prices. Well neither will more drilling. "Big Oil" has already told us that more drilling won't lower gasoline prices either. It will just expand the profits that "Big Oil" is pulling in at the expense of the environment and the people.
As much as I dislike an increase in offshore drilling what alternative is there? Oil companies have reaped excessive quarterly profits while Americans can barely afford gas! It is insane!
Why am I inclined to believe that if we allowed oil companies to drill anywhere they wanted that the price of gasoline would indeed drop? Only to begin rising once again when the oil companies wanted something else.
We need a cleaner, cheaper, alternative fuel source.
There goes another 20,000+ JOBS. Who's the party of NO now? This bill was a win-win–win scenario. Lots of new jobs, more energy independents, and a break for the consumer in lower gas prices. Oh ya, all those new jobs would have created tax revenues to help pay for all the liberal socialist programs. I think the Democrats just want this country to go broke so they can remodel it in their vision of corruption and control. Who cares about freedom anyhow?
Fear = Technology???
No! America never reached here with fear. Correct the mistakes of the past and go for offshore oil and gas drilling!!!
this boils down to let them eat cake. need term limits for congress, no retirement and they get the same healthcare. need to fix it folks!
Harry Reid at it again. But he protects mining gold etc in his state from paying & $ to americans while they the mining company pays nothing to mine on government land.
idiots we need OIL! you can't get it without drilling
good – if the GOP won't repeal their tax refunds, don't give in to expanding more drilling areas and weakening regulations (which we shouldn't do anyway)
Where is Obama?
Vote the bums out that will not allow the drilling!
We can't remove the freebies they get, you all can't get more dangerous drilling. Sounds like adults in D.C. Fire every one of them, especially the corporate loving facists.
Great. Can't these guys agree on anything that might actually help the country?
I have a very strong feeling that some of our key Senators may be going to jail pretty soon.
We need to drill. We need a real energy policy.
1 repeal obamacare We can't afford it.
2 use our own resources, oil, coal, gas... Set a goal to at minimum cut oil imports in half. Stop importing oil from the Middle East. This would keep over $1 trillion each year in the US. That will increase tax revenues and create good paying jobs. In turn those jobs will support many more jobs. We must have affordable energy and jobs.
3. Do not raise or lower taxes. Stop playing games with the tax code. Gradually move to a flat tax where everyone pays at least something, even if it's 5%. People have more respect for things when they have a share in paying for it.
4. As tax revenues increase to a level that gives us a yearly surplus, start paying down the debt. It may take 20 years, but we must pay off our debt to remain a strong country. This is a long term solution.
5. Give businesses incentives to keep factories here. We must make some thing in this country for us to be a strong nation.
6. Stop using corn to make fuel. This increases the cost of food both domestically and to foreign countries were we export food. Ethanol is not an efficient use of resources.
7. Put more money into research for alternatives to oil and for cleaner energy solutions. This can be doen with a Manhattan style project similar to how the atomic bomb was created. Fund it and hire the best scientist to work together. Create a research facility for this. Also fund research at universities along the same lines.
8. Stop the insanity of letting teachers go at our schools. We need better educated children.
9. Cut redundant and unnecessary government agencies and jobs. Reduce the size and scope of the federal government. Stop spending more than we take in.
10. Stop creating new free trade agreements. The only ones that benefit from these agreements are the coutnries we import cheap products from, the big corporations, and importers.The rest of us slowly lose jobs and are forced to buy cheaper and lower quality products. We are not brining other countries standards up to ours. When we import everything we are lowering our standards to accept an inferior product. America used to make the best products in the world. We still do when given the cnace.
Remember there are no quick fixes to get us out of the mess we are in. It took years of mismanagement to get us here. It will take 10+ years to get things fixed.
What's wrong with these idiots? This country is bleeding money to foreign countries while we leave our oil in the ground. And now that we are driving less and going to cars with higher milage or even electric cars, politicians are looking to tax us by the mile in addition to by the gallon. Make this stupidity stop, please!
Just what the Dems and Obama wanted
GOP never had long term plan for anything. They way they run the party they will say anything to win the election after the election they lose their members
Typical. Politics over jobs and what's best for the country.