Sarah Palin has the ‘fire in my belly’ for prez run
May 20th, 2011

Sarah Palin has the ‘fire in my belly’ for prez run

(CNN) – Sarah Palin has given few indications in recent weeks she is still actively considering a presidential run, but the former Alaska governor said Thursday she has the “fire in my belly” to mount a bid for the White House.

Appearing on Fox News, where she serves as a contributor, Palin did not rule out the possibility that she could jump into the still-undefined Republican presidential field, though offered few specifics on where she is in her thought process.

"I think my problem is that I do have the fire in my belly," said Palin. "I'm so adamantly supportive of the good traditional things about America and our free enterprise system and I want to make sure that America is put back on the right track and we only do that by defeating Obama in 2012."

The comments come after two once-potential presidential hopefuls – Mississippi Gov. Haley Barbour and former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee – announced they were forgoing a presidential run because their inner yearning for the job was not strong enough to endure an 18 month campaign.

Not so when it comes to Sarah Palin. Rather, for her, the decision comes down to a series of “practical” concerns.

"It's a matter for me for some practical, pragmatic decisions that have to be made," Palin added, saying she is concerned about public scrutiny of members of her family.

"It's a matter for me for some practical, pragmatic decisions that have to be made," she said. “One is, with a large family, understanding the huge amount of scrutiny and the sacrifices that have to be made on my children’s part in order to see their mama run for president.

"But yeah, the fire in my belly, it’s there. That’s kind of my problem - it’s such a roaring fire to preserve what is good about America," she added.

Filed under: Sarah Palin
  1. Roger

I don't think it's a fire Sarah, I think it just may be gas. Take a Tums and go back to sleep!

May 20, 2011 11:10 am at 11:10 am |
  2. Michael

wish she also had the truth on her lips/tongue

May 20, 2011 11:10 am at 11:10 am |
  3. brad

"though offered few specifics on where she is in her thought process."

thought process. good one.

May 20, 2011 11:11 am at 11:11 am |
  4. JDH

Oh please Sarah run, since Trump decided not to run we really need someone to point at and laugh.

And I think Katie Couric should interview her again and ask specifically what "good traditional things about America and our free enterprise system..." she is so supportive of. Maybe she can get her to give at least one example this time eh?

May 20, 2011 11:11 am at 11:11 am |
  5. Bob

The only run she might be succesfull at is (Maybe) running around the block.

May 20, 2011 11:11 am at 11:11 am |
  6. Whammybar

For a "Run"? I hope she runs away!

Practically, she can't win so why bother? Typical self righteous response she made about Arnold, hypocritical. Point finger and acuse. No bones in her closet.

May 20, 2011 11:11 am at 11:11 am |
  7. Grundoon

What a gift to the Democrats that would be!! Run, $arah, run!!!

May 20, 2011 11:12 am at 11:12 am |
  8. 100% ETH

"The fire in my belly", what a strong like Woman. ...that could be solved by your Midwife, not by vote. As American, we strived to vote the great leader who is not weak to complain all sort of things. Sara, you keep complaining before you get the Muscle(President job). You should know that, if you became President, the same way you keep criticizing and harassing the current American President will happened to you. Are you ready to handle it??? I don't think so.

However, since our Men and women in Military Uniforms, kept US safe by sacrificing their lives and times, you are welcome to enjoy all the Constitutional Rights and Freedoms that has been given to you.

The job that seems easier to you, didn't come without sacrifices, sometimes it's so difficult to get the good results either.

May 20, 2011 11:12 am at 11:12 am |
  9. John

Gosh i hope she runs.....I just love a good comedy.

May 20, 2011 11:12 am at 11:12 am |
  10. John

what a joke...lol
    Sarah, you have about 3 minutes left of your 15. I guess pretending that you might run is good publicity to squeeze the last few dollars of your hilarious run for the money. I hope you have a lot stashed away, for soon it will be "Sarah? Sarah who?"

May 20, 2011 11:13 am at 11:13 am |
  11. Rudy NYC

I have no doubt that she feels the desire. Does she understand that she cannot run for POTUS on the Fox News Channel? The only way she will gain widespread credibility is to visit the "lame stream media" that she detests. She must face Couric first and foremost, and then do the Sunday talk show circuit. But, she should stay away from SNL

So far Palin has been nothing but a 'barker.'

May 20, 2011 11:16 am at 11:16 am |
  12. Ptown

wow! i guess if over 60 percent of americans dislike you the answer is to run for prez anyway. What a joke!

May 20, 2011 11:18 am at 11:18 am |
  13. Mattski

You'll know she's running when she cancels her contract with Fox because she can't stay on that payroll if she's going to run. It was three months ago that Fox told all their commentators that they would need to cancel their contract if they chose to run. Neither Huckabee nor Palin cancelled their contacts, so it was a good indication that they're not running. Until you hear that she terminated her contract with Fox, there's no chance she's running, it's all hype.

May 20, 2011 11:18 am at 11:18 am |
  14. Barb

Sarah needs to start talking specifics on how she will improve the country. If she badmouths Obama constantly as she did when running for VP, she will lose a lot of support. I liked the thought of Trump running for president, but once he started bad mouthing Obama I have lost total interest in him running and feel he should not. I voted for Obama and support him now. If a Republican candidate comes along with some good practical thoughts and ideas, I would consider voting for a Republican. Otherwise I will vote for Obama again. The Republicans had 8 yrs to create the mess that Obama apparently should in their eyes "fix" in 2 years.

May 20, 2011 11:18 am at 11:18 am |
  15. Former Republican, but never again!

By definition, to have a "thought process", you have to be able to think. This woman is a complete fool.

May 20, 2011 11:18 am at 11:18 am |
  16. bilrib1

As a Liberal Democrat, I really want her to run. I guessing she'll get beaten badly by some other nominee and then she will go away.

May 20, 2011 11:19 am at 11:19 am |
  17. musomesa

She's going to run. With Huckabay and Trump out she and Bachman have an opening. I don't see her staying on the sidelines while others take the limelight. One of those two, maybe both will run. Prepare for some hissy debates.

May 20, 2011 11:19 am at 11:19 am |
  18. me

Great, Palin is taking indigestion as a sign to run. Has she bought a copy of How To Run the Presidency of the United States for Dummies?

May 20, 2011 11:20 am at 11:20 am |
  19. BB

Hatred feels exactly like 'fire in your belly' after a while, Sarah.

If Sarah announces – there goes the entire GOP party...down in flames. Sure win for the other side.

May 20, 2011 11:21 am at 11:21 am |
  20. Just Me

Please run Sarah. I will definately vote for you in the Republican primaries if I legally can just in the hopes that you indeed become the nominee so that Obama could mop the floor with you in the general. Not only would the "lame stream" media have fun with your candidacy, I think the world would. Make our day Sarah...jump in now...after all you got the "fire in your belly".

May 20, 2011 11:21 am at 11:21 am |
  21. Consider This...

Ha Ha Ha. Sarah won't run, she's just playing the"The Donald" game. She'll play this to the bitter end, sucking every dollar out of it along the way. I so want this woman off the national stage. She's not even good for a laugh anymore.

May 20, 2011 11:22 am at 11:22 am |
  22. Peter

No one is 100% qualified to be President–and Obama certainly has his holes-but at least he is a highly-educated man with an intimate knowledge of the US legals system, how our government operations are structured, and world affairs. I can't think of a SINGLE THING that Ms. Palin brings to the table. She admitted she does not read, never traveled out of the USA until recently, didn't know what "the Bush Doctrine" was, and it took her going to five different schools to get a very lightweight degree. She's really a media personality more than anything else, so I suspect that–like Trump–she is just teasing in order to keep her price up in the commercial marketplace.

May 20, 2011 11:23 am at 11:23 am |
  23. Oh Brother!

Dear Sarah,

You are mistaking fire for hot air. And yes Sarah, you have an abundance of hot air.

May 20, 2011 11:24 am at 11:24 am |
  24. katy Heys

Palin isn't going to run. Can't you imagine Palin having a debate with Obama? He'd have her for lunch. So, if you want Obama to be reelected in 2012, pray that Sarah is the nominee. Which she will not be. She is a lot of talk with no substance whatsoever.

May 20, 2011 11:24 am at 11:24 am |
  25. Joe, San Diego

Palin is pulling a Trump- tune in tomorrow bit... to keep her name in the news...
    All the Republicans want to do is just beat President Obama 2012 but offer no solutions to any economic problems or any hard concrete military plans, they spew what they believe is good ole fashion American values from the 1900's when it is 2011.
    Time to play catch up old farts!

May 20, 2011 11:24 am at 11:24 am |