Sarah Palin has the ‘fire in my belly’ for prez run
May 20th, 2011

Sarah Palin has the ‘fire in my belly’ for prez run

(CNN) – Sarah Palin has given few indications in recent weeks she is still actively considering a presidential run, but the former Alaska governor said Thursday she has the “fire in my belly” to mount a bid for the White House.

Appearing on Fox News, where she serves as a contributor, Palin did not rule out the possibility that she could jump into the still-undefined Republican presidential field, though offered few specifics on where she is in her thought process.

"I think my problem is that I do have the fire in my belly," said Palin. "I'm so adamantly supportive of the good traditional things about America and our free enterprise system and I want to make sure that America is put back on the right track and we only do that by defeating Obama in 2012."

The comments come after two once-potential presidential hopefuls – Mississippi Gov. Haley Barbour and former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee – announced they were forgoing a presidential run because their inner yearning for the job was not strong enough to endure an 18 month campaign.

Not so when it comes to Sarah Palin. Rather, for her, the decision comes down to a series of “practical” concerns.

"It's a matter for me for some practical, pragmatic decisions that have to be made," Palin added, saying she is concerned about public scrutiny of members of her family.

"It's a matter for me for some practical, pragmatic decisions that have to be made," she said. “One is, with a large family, understanding the huge amount of scrutiny and the sacrifices that have to be made on my children’s part in order to see their mama run for president.

"But yeah, the fire in my belly, it’s there. That’s kind of my problem - it’s such a roaring fire to preserve what is good about America," she added.

Filed under: Sarah Palin
  1. tigerakabj

If she decides to run and actually stick it out, as a Dem I would vote for her in the primaries to help make sure she is the GOP nominee. I want to see President Obama win a 50-state landslide along with very long coattails.

President Obama ate Donald "Where's your birth certificate, but I'm sure not showing my financial records" Trump for lunch in front of the entire country. She is ignorant, stupid, and totally w/o any plans that will benefit this country both domestically and internationally. Crying about the "lamestream/left-wiing/lib/marxist" media isn't going to get her anywhere.

So Palin, knock yourself out.

May 20, 2011 11:34 am at 11:34 am |
  2. david in seattle

Run Sarah, run. If she gets the nomination, it will be the permanent death of a nation Republican Party.

May 20, 2011 11:35 am at 11:35 am |
  3. JP

I like candidates who are "supportive of the good traditional things about America." If only we could find one that is stumping for sunshine and warm puppies as well....

May 20, 2011 11:35 am at 11:35 am |
  4. Wes B.

Bad mooseburger = fire in belly.

I'd love to see her RUN the republicans into the ground.

May 20, 2011 11:37 am at 11:37 am |
  5. Mike in Texas

Palin will string this along as far as she can so she can garner attention. Maybe after she decides she 1) won't run or 2) does run and gets resoundingly defeated in the primaries then will CNN quit their obsession with her.

May 20, 2011 11:37 am at 11:37 am |
  6. Madtown

The fact that $arah Palin is even in this discussion has got to represent the low-point in American political history. We're talking about the freaking President of the United States!!!!!!! $arah writes basic concepts on the palm of her hand, so she doesn't forget them! Have we migrated to some kind of surreal alternate universe?!? This twit couldn't handle the office of president of her local home-owners association.

May 20, 2011 11:37 am at 11:37 am |
  7. shoegazer

A little Pepto will put that fire out.Can this woman look herself in the mirror,look past the narcissistic image she sees therein
    and seriously,deep down really consider herself able to sit in the Oval offce.If she can,then she's more delusional than even I can imagine.Please Ms.Palin,just go away.

May 20, 2011 11:37 am at 11:37 am |
  8. BD70

I can't stop laughing....on the other hand...watching/reading her pathetic attempts at sounding intelligent wear my nerves down.

May 20, 2011 11:37 am at 11:37 am |
  9. Ryan

YES! The biggest clown of them all is about to squeeze into the 2012 GOP Clown car. The race to the bottom begins!

May 20, 2011 11:38 am at 11:38 am |
  10. MB Seattle

Sarah blame it on the media your decision not to run and continue to work with Fox. Fire in the belly, cotton between the ears.

May 20, 2011 11:38 am at 11:38 am |
  11. Penelope

The only way she could win is if the majority of American voters had a lobotomy – and that's not gonna happen. In any event, she's just laying the groundwork for her next "reality" show.

May 20, 2011 11:39 am at 11:39 am |
  12. funkymonkey

Who will she choose as a running mate? Joe the Plumber? They both rank the same on the relevancy meter. It's just that the media outlets made the decision to give up on Joe the Plumber when they should have.

May 20, 2011 11:39 am at 11:39 am |
  13. BradKT

Sarah:

As a Democrat, I AM BEGGING YOU to run! PLEASE!

May 20, 2011 11:39 am at 11:39 am |
  14. bill

bull. She has already told her bosses at Fox that she is not running. They let Newt and Santorum once they made their intentions clear. They are just letting her keep floating the possibility to keep ratings up. She likes the money too much to take a step down to the presidency. Besides, it would require work.

May 20, 2011 11:39 am at 11:39 am |
  15. Sarah Botwin

That's not a fire in your belly Sarah. That's what stewing in your own pitard feels like.

May 20, 2011 11:40 am at 11:40 am |
  16. vikingslost

I wish Sarah Palin well, as she contemplates her possible run for the White House. But, I seriously doubt she would run for President as she knows she would have to get up in front of the people and the media in those Presidential primary debates.
    She'd be on her own in those debates and I know Palin does not want to have a Couric moment again.

May 20, 2011 11:40 am at 11:40 am |
  17. Go Toward the Light

Republicans, you haven't been gamed enough already? But you still want to push losers like Sarah Palin to nix your medicare in your golden years? Maybe Romney would look better in comparison...maybe not. Newt? Ummm, no. Pawlenty? Heh...riiiiight.

Don't box yourself into a corner with that (R) vote. Do something smart for a change.

May 20, 2011 11:43 am at 11:43 am |
  18. This is the best the GOP has?

If you think "what newspapers do you read?" is a tough question, you're not qualified to be president. Period. If that "gotcha" question had Palin flustered, how is she going to handle that 3 a.m. phone call?

May 20, 2011 11:43 am at 11:43 am |
  19. LJ

Thanks, again, John McLame, for bringing this Mama Grizzly onto the national stage! She has turned into the female version of Donald Trump–all mouth, money, and no substance! She is on Faux News payroll and she offers NO solutions to America's problems–only bad-mouthing our President, and hate-mongering because she is totally jealous that he won and her team lost, in 2008.

May 20, 2011 11:43 am at 11:43 am |
  20. Claudia, Houston, Tx

Palin cooked McCain's goose and she will finish off the Republican party, if they are as stupid as I think they are.

May 20, 2011 11:45 am at 11:45 am |
  21. Don , Los Angeles

By all means, Sarah, RUN! Trump is gone, and the Gingrich "campaign is on life support. With snore-inducing bores like Romney and Pawlenty running, the GOP race needs a new resident clown to keep the fun alive. The best result from a Palin run (besides the laughs) would be watching her pop culture cache, not to mention her speaking fees, drop like a rock, once her campaign inevitably flames-out. So, please, Sarah, do us all a favor-Run, Lose, then finally, GO AWAY!!!

May 20, 2011 11:47 am at 11:47 am |
  22. havshatuni8

The woman is a whack job and I pray to God she wins the Republican nomination.

May 20, 2011 11:48 am at 11:48 am |
  23. Biggge

That is just heart burn........

May 20, 2011 11:48 am at 11:48 am |
  24. gino

Sarah, you are mixing up fire and flatulence.

May 20, 2011 11:49 am at 11:49 am |
  25. The Dude

oh, god, yes, please Sarah, run.....the comedic value is just too good to pass up!

May 20, 2011 11:53 am at 11:53 am |