Judge rules Loughner is not competent to stand trial
May 25th, 2011

Judge rules Loughner is not competent to stand trial

Tucson, Arizona (CNN) -- Jared Lee Loughner, accused in January's mass shooting in which he allegedly tried to assassinate a congresswoman, isn't competent to stand trial, a federal judge ruled Wednesday.

The judge said he based his decision on a mental evaluation of Loughner.

FULL STORY

Filed under: Gabrielle Giffords
  1. Rudy NYC

I'm not surprised by this decision. I think it was reported that he recently purchased the weapon, and in fact had purchased the ammo within the previous 24 hours. Would you have sold a gun or ammo to that guy in the picture? Not what you believe you would have done, or should have done, but actually would have done.

I don't know about you, but I would have avoided it, if at all possible (while I called for help if I could), but I would have still sold a crazy looking person like that whatever he wanted just to get rid of him.

May 25, 2011 03:46 pm at 3:46 pm |
  2. ConservaFASCISTS

It was premeditated murder. He was competant enough to know what he was doing.

May 25, 2011 03:47 pm at 3:47 pm |
  3. The Day of Financial Reckoning is HERE - The Great Democrat Welfare Society Ends

Now there's a shocker... They don't come much crazier than this guy.

May 25, 2011 04:05 pm at 4:05 pm |
  4. Lost in Texas Forever

in other words he gets to stay in a mental hospital for the rest of his life on tax payers' dime. :(

May 25, 2011 04:28 pm at 4:28 pm |
  5. gargoyle

I personally dont see a need for a trial lets pull out a gun with 1 bullet in it and put it against his head

May 25, 2011 04:56 pm at 4:56 pm |
  6. fernace

Since this is breaking news, we don't have much information as to how the judge came to this conclusion. Still, I'd say it deserves a second opinion. Sociopathic personalities are great "actors," skilled in faking conditions for sympathy or favors. I'm pretty sure America wants to see this murderer punished to the fullest extent of the law, not coddled in an asylum! More info, please.

May 25, 2011 05:01 pm at 5:01 pm |
  7. gargoyle

Execution by russian roulette then lets see if he is competent

May 25, 2011 05:05 pm at 5:05 pm |