Kucinich is running for office … in some state
May 25th, 2011

Kucinich is running for office … in some state

(CNN) – Democratic Rep. Dennis Kucinich of Ohio said Wednesday he refuses to accept the Congressional redistricting in his state that may lead to the elimination of his district.

"I'm literally fighting back, hoping to have the chance to continue to serve," Kucinich told Carol Costello in an interview on “CNN Newsroom."

"I'm not someone who's going to lay down and roll over because some interest groups want me out of Congress."

Ohio will lose two congressional seats as a result of the redistricting based on the 2010 Census. Therefore, reelection for the eight-term Congressman in 2012 will be difficult, if his district exists at all.

The former Democratic presidential candidate is considering a move to a friendlier part of the country and recently returned from a trip to Washington state, but the anti-war Congressman said he has yet to make a decision.

"I'm getting a lot of invitations from Washington state, that's true," Kucinich said. "I've certainly been accepting invitations and I'm, I look forward to continuing to serve in Congress. Of course, it's not my decision alone."

Kucinich used his precarious political position to fundraise earlier in May, asking supporters to contribute to his reelection "wherever that may be."

We're not going to quietly fade away and let the corporate interests and status quo have its way," Kucinich wrote. "Instead we're gearing up for a long and difficult campaign in 2012."

– CNN's Rebecca Stewart contributed to this report

Filed under: 2012 • Dennis Kucinich • Redistricting
  1. Rudy NYC

This new districting should change the electoral map, too.

May 25, 2011 10:27 am at 10:27 am |
  2. Anthony Seta

Well... as sad as I am that we are losing two seats in Ohio due to redistricting, I'm glad that one of those seats will be that of Kucinich. The man is a truly nice guy and really means well, and I like him personally. But in terms of his views on foreign policy and domestic policy, he is too far to the fringe left to be relevant when logical and centrist policies and perspectives are required. So, I say good riddance – though I really wish him well. BTW – what other state would want this man as their representative?

May 25, 2011 10:37 am at 10:37 am |
  3. Fair is Fair

Rudy NYC

This new districting should change the electoral map, too.
    ________________

What do yoiu mean, "should"? Of course it changes the electoral map. There are 14 more electoral votes in the states McCain won in 2008.

May 25, 2011 10:52 am at 10:52 am |
  4. gt

go dennis... get our troops home now...your a light in a room of darkness...

May 25, 2011 10:53 am at 10:53 am |
  5. Sutemi

Here's a completely off the wall idea...get an honest job! Career politicians can't represent non-career politicians.

May 25, 2011 10:53 am at 10:53 am |
  6. Rudy NYC

Fair is Fair wrote:
    -------------
    "Should" means I do not know all of the details of how they will redrawn, and neither do you. Nothing has been announced or made official as of yet. And 14 more electoral votes would not have saved McCain from the landslide. Obama outscored McCain by almost two to 1 in electoral votes.

May 25, 2011 11:04 am at 11:04 am |
  7. OldFarmboy

The "interest group" that he's talking about is the State of Ohio. Districts are determined by the state and based on the states percentage of the total population of the country. The 2010 Census results determined the population growth in Ohio was not as much as other parts of the country. Oh, and by the way, Ohio isn't the only state to lose seats.

Spoken like a true "professional" politician.

May 25, 2011 11:08 am at 11:08 am |
  8. Fair is Fair

@ Rudy –

I think you're missing my point. First of all, there are definitely 14 more electoral votes in the solidly red states. What that means is that in a "typical" presidential election (one that doesn't occur in the middle of a global financial meltdown where Ghaddafi could have won had he had a "D" after his name), some small "leaner" states such as Nevada, New Mexico, and New Hampshire can be lost by the GOP and still win the electoral college. Naturally, the battleground will still be Florida and Ohio.

May 25, 2011 11:18 am at 11:18 am |
  9. The Day of Financial Reckoning is HERE - The Great Democrat Welfare Society Ends

The guy is a very likeable and sincere ultra looney left fringe rep. Who the heck keeps voting him into office? I can't imagine many of his constituents actually share his ultra-left views. It just shows you the power of incumbency.

May 25, 2011 11:24 am at 11:24 am |
  10. Rudy NYC

As if the final redistricting won't affect the electoral campaign strategies? After NY-26, those red states had better rethink how they draw their new districts. They could easily stack the deck against themselves. The population shifts came mostly from people likely to vote Democratic, not Republican. As I recall, most of the Rs moved to places like Canada and New Zealand.

May 25, 2011 11:31 am at 11:31 am |
  11. Republican Robber Baron

Dennis might be a little extreme on some issues. However he is without a doubt one of the few in Congress not sold-out to the Big $ Lobbyist scumbags. I give Dennis a lot of credit for always being consistently on the side of the middle class.

May 25, 2011 12:09 pm at 12:09 pm |
  12. justin

He is a Hewie Long our time!!! Agree or disagree, very engaging character!!!

May 25, 2011 12:11 pm at 12:11 pm |
  13. TEE

Nice guy, but it's time to go......We need term limits...

May 25, 2011 12:14 pm at 12:14 pm |
  14. Rudy NYC

Republican Robber Baron wrote:
    ---------
    ....And without a middle class we will live in a two tiered society. Haves and Have Nots. Rep. Kucinich is a bit too extreme for my views. He brings almost a religous zeal to his table, which is too much no matter your ideology. Religion leaves no room for compromise, only sins against the religion, which is why the founding fathers wanted a separation.

May 25, 2011 12:20 pm at 12:20 pm |
  15. The Day of Financial Reckoning is HERE - The Great Democrat Welfare Society Ends

So how many years has he been in Congress? Can ANYBODY point to ONE thing he has taken the point on and accomplished?? Given how far out there he is, I would venture to say he has actually accomplished little or nothing during his long stint in Congress. Being a good gadfly isn't really a good reason to keep putting him back in there.

May 25, 2011 12:25 pm at 12:25 pm |