Bachmann: Palin's decision 'has nothing to do with me'
May 26th, 2011

Bachmann: Palin's decision 'has nothing to do with me'

(CNN) - Minnesota Rep. Michele Bachmann said Thursday that former Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin's decision on whether she'll seek the GOP nomination in 2012 won't affect her own thoughts on running for the presidency.

During an interview on CNN's "John King, USA," Bachmann said, "My decision will be independent of whichever candidate gets in. I have great respect for Governor Palin, I consider her a friend, and if she gets in, she gets in."

"That won't impact whether I get in or not," Bachmann asserted.

And the three-term congresswoman confirmed that her decision will, in fact, come next month, whether or not Palin has by then jumped into the presidential race.

Bachmann told CNN Chief National Correspondent John King, "It has absolutely nothing to do with me; it has everything to do with the American people and our economy and were we're going …and my decision about getting into 2012 or not is completely independent."

"My decision will be made on whether I think it is the right thing at the right time, and we'll let you know in June," she continued.

But Bachmann admitted that one thing she'll have to work on if she becomes a candidate is discipline, since she hasn't been "accurate" on everything she's said.

When presented with factual misstatements she's made in the past, Bachmann said, "I think it's important to have discipline in a message, that's true."

"Have I been accurate on everything I've said - no, that's not true. The fact is I read and I read a lot…it isn't' my job to go and fact-check sources that come out in publications," she countered.

But the possible presidential candidate pledged to do better.

"When you're in the presidential realm I do think that message discipline is required, and I think that is something - you know, all of us have areas that we need to do better and that's certainly one that I will pay a lot of attention to," Bachmann said.

Filed under: 2012 • Michele Bachmann • Sarah Palin • TV-John King U.S.A.
  1. Claudia, Houston, Tx

Bachmann can talk about the economy and the deficit and Palin can't, she disappears. Bachmann shouldn't slam President Obama but stick to the issues and Palin's only issue is she is limited therefore she's only qualified to slam President Obama. Bachmann doesn't always get her facts straight but you can clearly understand what she's saying and Palin can't make a coherent sentence which means nobody understands what she's saying.

May 26, 2011 08:36 pm at 8:36 pm |
  2. once upon a horse

that's great I would LOVE to see these two go at it in a debate. It might be the best television all summer if they do.

May 26, 2011 08:40 pm at 8:40 pm |
  3. Wise1Speak

SARAH PALIN IS NOT RUNNING FOR PRESIDENT; BUT HERE ARE A FEW THOUGHTS

(1.) – Sarah Palin is a half-term Alaskan governor. A leadership post she quit and a commitment she broke after her failed 2008 V.P. bid.

(2.) – Once Palin got a taste of the 'big show" (2008 campaign), she decided that her governorship commitment was boring and the job did not pay enough. So Palin left her commitment to Alaskans and hit the road so she could squeeze the big $bucks out of ignorant people that are too stupid to understand that Palin is actually a charlatan in sheep clothing.

(3.) – So Palin pushed the right buttons to make people think she is going to run in 2012; while collecting the big $bucks, selling books, doing bus tours, and putting her face on FAUX.

(4.) – And if by chance Mitt Romney appears to be the last man standing before the first Republican primaries, then Palin can jump in and run the GOP table and win the Republican nomination and select Michele Bachmann as her VP candidate for 2012.

(5.) – With both women on the GOP ticket, that provide Palin 45% of the nation's Republican votes, plus another 15% of women voters anxious to see a female as President and Commander-in-Chief.

May 26, 2011 09:09 pm at 9:09 pm |
  4. nintex

Yes, Ms. Bachmann, the truth is something that we would all appreciate hearing from you and the other Republicans aspiring to become the President of the United States. Not the "truth" according to the fat fool on the radio or anyone else at Fox News, but actual facts about actual events – you know, real facts and figures. It's to the point where I don't believe anything coming out of the mouth of any Republican; if they told the truth about something, I'd probably shrug it off as just another figment of their imagination. "The truth shall set you free" – except in the Republicans' case, the truth would get President Obama elected for a second term.

May 26, 2011 09:56 pm at 9:56 pm |
  5. Termlimitsforall

that's as moderate as it gets.

May 26, 2011 09:59 pm at 9:59 pm |
  6. bcnu_toob

She is right about the fact that she needs to be accurate in her statements. Sarah Palin is not a Governor.

May 26, 2011 10:14 pm at 10:14 pm |
  7. AAA

How can you call her Governor when she abandoned her state. I do not understand why people are infatuated with her. If thy are looking for looks she can pas but when it comes to intelligence she has none. We were tired of one and now we have Bachmann who is becoming another darling. Is our country infatuated with looks or substance? If these is what Republicans have to offer they better run and hide. If Bachmann/ Plain have a chance against my Democratic president good luck. Bachmann needs to go to school for world politics, Palin has failed miserably in the last election running with McCain who also have limited world politics under his belt and was put in the limelight because he was a prisoner of war in Vietnam and considered a hero. Politics does not need heroes, people with money, big names, it needs vision, intelligence, common sense and downright straight politics than the muddled politics we are practicing at the present time. The world has produced good leaders that were not rich or ran on there families names. We have elected the fist black president and we will see a woman Democratic president in the future. Just save us from those two.

May 26, 2011 10:40 pm at 10:40 pm |
  8. Marie MD

Save your money. You want to be president? What about the revolution you called for last year against the same government you are such a big part of (in your own mind).
    You were stopped by the rethugs. The other one was allowed to continue and she is going to bring them down even further.

May 27, 2011 06:18 am at 6:18 am |
  9. beevee

I would very much like to see Bachman-Palin against the dems in 2012. Women power.

May 27, 2011 08:35 am at 8:35 am |