MSNBC host suspended over 'slut' comment
May 26th, 2011

MSNBC host suspended over 'slut' comment

(CNN) – MSNBC host Ed Schultz apologized Wednesday night for calling conservative host Laura Ingraham a "slut," comments that cost him a week long suspension from the cable channel.

"On my radio show yesterday, I used vile and inappropriate language with talking about radio talk show host Laura Ingraham. I am deeply sorry and I apologize," Schutlz said at the opening of his nightly program Wednesday. "It was wrong, uncalled-for and I apologize for the severity of what I've said."

Schultz, host of "The Ed Schultz Show" said no matter the circumstances, his comments were "terribly vile." He called the experience the "lowest of the low for me."

Ingraham accepted the apology via Tiwtter Thursday, writing "Ed Schultz: Apology accepted."

In a statement, MSNBC said Schultz accepted one week of "unpaid leave for the remarks he made."

"Ed will address these remarks on his show tonight and immediately following begin his leave," the statement read. "Remarks of this nature are unacceptable and will not be tolerated."

On his radio show Tuesday, the liberal Schultz criticized Republicans, and particularly Ingraham for thinking about how much the natural disasters currently plaguing the country "are going to cost" instead of "their next door neighbor."

"President Obama is going to be visiting Joplin, Missouri on Sunday, but you know what they're (Republicans) talking about, like this right-wing slut, what's her name? Laura Ingraham? Yeah, she's a talk slut," Schultz said. "You see, she was, back in the day praising President Reagan when he was drinking a beer overseas. But now that Obama's doing it, they're working him over."

Updated 12:15 p.m.

Filed under: MSNBC
  1. Rosalie

People like Schultz, get eaten alive, he has heart and conviction, though I detest his adoration of Obama the fraud. The guy is not a sexist, but just man who choose the wrong word about a Woman who is the opposite of Mr. Schultz. At least Ed as a heart.. He was wrong. no excuse, just understanding.

May 26, 2011 08:04 am at 8:04 am |
  2. Steve

Instead of the name-calling that Shultz enjoys engaging in, it would be nice to see him debate someone like Laura Ingram..it would be entertaining......

May 26, 2011 08:05 am at 8:05 am |
  3. Dave

Schultz was way out of line on this one. Ingraham is not a slut. She's an idiot. Get it right...

May 26, 2011 08:06 am at 8:06 am |
  4. Ronald Morris

I am shocked that MSBC would censor one of their own for any name that he called a conservative.

May 26, 2011 08:06 am at 8:06 am |
  5. steve

As an independent who has been shying away from the extremism showing up in the GOP, things like this remind me extremists on both sides are what keep me independent. What happened to intelligent debate in this country, and why if one side shuns true debate, the other quickly follows? They are like children in power suits.

May 26, 2011 08:07 am at 8:07 am |
  6. Living In right to work slave state, SC

If he had just called her a whore than it would have been ok.

May 26, 2011 08:07 am at 8:07 am |
  7. daltjb

As Cosell would say..." just telling it like it is"

May 26, 2011 08:08 am at 8:08 am |
  8. Richard-Missouri

It's one thing to have differing political views, and expouse why you believe someone elses view is wrong. It's quite another to call someone that you do not agree with, and obviously do not like, a 'slut' while hosting a talk show on MSNBC. I used to think Ed Schultz was just fat and ugly. Now I can add 'stupid' to the list! Oh, and it's OK for ME to do that – I'm not on MSNBC!

May 26, 2011 08:08 am at 8:08 am |
  9. Kudzu Botwin

Why is he apologizing? He's absolutely right. Not only did she used to pose nude for money, but she's been a media hoe since day one, saying whatever shocking disgusting thing she could say to get attention. I thought she disappeared after she ranted and raved the N word for five minutes on national radio. She's worse than a s__t. She's a 'Slore.'

May 26, 2011 08:09 am at 8:09 am |
  10. kyle

Just treat it as a well deserved vacation.

May 26, 2011 08:11 am at 8:11 am |
  11. Vigla

You can tell Ed gets worked up about the things he talks about. He has some passion. He's not like the talkers on the right that I believe don't really buy what they're selling. They just reflexively are against anything the President or Democrats are for. While I disapprove of what he said, I understand why he said it. It's frustrating to listen to peopl e flat out lie and not be called out on it.

May 26, 2011 08:14 am at 8:14 am |
  12. GOP-Tea Party Radical Social Engineering to Kill Grandma Medicare

I wonder what you call those bleach blond FAUX NEWS women anyways? $$$lut is NOT too far from the thruth..........they are all clueless, they are all like sheep spewing whatever is in front of them, they dont express any original thought, so I will side with Ed Schultz on this one. Good call!!!!

No need for him to apologise....dont retreat, reload!!!!

May 26, 2011 08:14 am at 8:14 am |
  13. Terry

While not a huge fan of Ed's show, I do agree with most of what he says. That being said I find Laura Ingrham despicable. Too bad Ed stooped to her level.

May 26, 2011 08:16 am at 8:16 am |
  14. opedanderson

Imagine what hes going to say once Palin announces.

Palin '12 – Believe it!

May 26, 2011 08:17 am at 8:17 am |
  15. Dan, Charlotte

What a shocker. Ed is a loud-mouth, progressive clown! I wish they would suspend all of MSNBC. They are to the far left what Fox is the the far right.

May 26, 2011 08:18 am at 8:18 am |
  16. Realistic

People must get a grip and realize that Fox is not a real news network and those who work there are: erratic, ideologist, self-serving, arrogant, ignorant, hypocrites and are in the abyss of reality. If president Obama has one beer they will call him a drunk and if Bush had a beer, they would say he was just enjoying some suds. If a republican cheats, they will say its a part of the litmus test to be part of the GOP party. The republicans wear the "cheating label" as a badge of honor. So when Cnn, MSNBC or others pay attention or repeat what garbage is spewed from FOX, the only thing being accomplished is to infest the airwaves with stupidity.

May 26, 2011 08:18 am at 8:18 am |
  17. lac

ed, you are just telling it how you see it, faux mews can say whatever the heck they want and never say sorry. screw them.

May 26, 2011 08:19 am at 8:19 am |
  18. Mike in SA

Oh well, he apologized...makes it all better then.

May 26, 2011 08:20 am at 8:20 am |
  19. KMAN821

Ed was right, but he was far too kind in his description of that poor excuse of a woman.

May 26, 2011 08:21 am at 8:21 am |
  20. Steve Oehmen

Well done, Ed. I neither watch nor listen to your shows because you are a little too edgy for my tastes, but I appreciate your immediately manning up on this.

May 26, 2011 08:21 am at 8:21 am |
  21. Statman29

Please! He spoke the truth and should apologize for nothing except not being politically correct. If Rush Fatso had said the same thing he would probably get a raise (so he could buy some more Oxycontin).

May 26, 2011 08:21 am at 8:21 am |
  22. king

hey who is going to suspend rush limbaugh and them other conservative ultra right wing lunatics when they start talking out of their .... about liberals. hey what age are we living in if the liberal say somthing disrespectful. they get punished, but on the other hand, conservatives say somthing disrespectful and they are praised for being good leaders. i dont condole such antics by any of the the sides, but atleast be consistent since they are all media heads.

May 26, 2011 08:22 am at 8:22 am |
  23. The Real Tom Paine

The interesting thing is, I've heard equally vile and petty comments over the years come out of mouths of right-wing talk radio hosts, including Ingraham. I seem to remember her going after Meghan McCain last year over her curves( the phrase was " plus-size model"), yet no one at FOX called her out on unseemly behavior for breaking the 11th Commandment of Republican politics.. I always thought personal responsibility was a cornerstone of conservative values, but, I guess it only applies from one conservative to another: everyone else is fair game. Do you suppose FOX will ever suspend Hannity over some of his more idiotic and tasteless stunts, like broadcasting the audio of a man screaming as he's being beheaded by the then-leader of Al-Queda in Iraq? Not likely.

May 26, 2011 08:23 am at 8:23 am |
  24. wjmknight

Ed Schultz was right and he should stand by his comment!

May 26, 2011 08:25 am at 8:25 am |
  25. AEJ

Ed, I cried last night while watching you make your apology to the woman on Fox. I miss you Ed. Please hurry and come back. You are a fighter for the middle class of America.

May 26, 2011 08:26 am at 8:26 am |