MSNBC host suspended over 'slut' comment
May 26th, 2011

MSNBC host suspended over 'slut' comment

(CNN) – MSNBC host Ed Schultz apologized Wednesday night for calling conservative host Laura Ingraham a "slut," comments that cost him a week long suspension from the cable channel.

"On my radio show yesterday, I used vile and inappropriate language with talking about radio talk show host Laura Ingraham. I am deeply sorry and I apologize," Schutlz said at the opening of his nightly program Wednesday. "It was wrong, uncalled-for and I apologize for the severity of what I've said."

Schultz, host of "The Ed Schultz Show" said no matter the circumstances, his comments were "terribly vile." He called the experience the "lowest of the low for me."

Ingraham accepted the apology via Tiwtter Thursday, writing "Ed Schultz: Apology accepted."

In a statement, MSNBC said Schultz accepted one week of "unpaid leave for the remarks he made."

"Ed will address these remarks on his show tonight and immediately following begin his leave," the statement read. "Remarks of this nature are unacceptable and will not be tolerated."

On his radio show Tuesday, the liberal Schultz criticized Republicans, and particularly Ingraham for thinking about how much the natural disasters currently plaguing the country "are going to cost" instead of "their next door neighbor."

"President Obama is going to be visiting Joplin, Missouri on Sunday, but you know what they're (Republicans) talking about, like this right-wing slut, what's her name? Laura Ingraham? Yeah, she's a talk slut," Schultz said. "You see, she was, back in the day praising President Reagan when he was drinking a beer overseas. But now that Obama's doing it, they're working him over."

Updated 12:15 p.m.

Filed under: MSNBC
  1. Regular Guy

Another idiot Lib goes down in flames.

May 26, 2011 08:27 am at 8:27 am |
  2. Jerry

The reason the Democrats have to resort to personal attacks is, they have DONE NOTHING positive for our country that they could proudly point their finger at and say, "That's mine, I did that."

May 26, 2011 08:27 am at 8:27 am |
  3. Alina77

House Majority Leader Eric Cantor said Monday that if Congress passes an emergency spending bill to help Missouri’s tornado victims, the extra money will have to be cut from somewhere else.

“If there is support for a supplemental, it would be accompanied by support for having pay-fors to that supplemental,” Mr. Cantor, Virginia Republican, told reporters at the Capitol. The term “pay-fors” is used by lawmakers to signal cuts or tax increases used to pay for new spending.

After Cantor labeled "help" for tornado victims as "spending's" - I say they all sluts.

May 26, 2011 08:28 am at 8:28 am |
  4. Kahuna

I don't disagree with Schultz on this. Ingram gets her political points anywhere she can so that makes her a slut.

May 26, 2011 08:29 am at 8:29 am |
  5. Ed

I'm very disappointed in you Mr. Schultz. What you called Laura Ingram is an insult to sluts everywhere!

May 26, 2011 08:29 am at 8:29 am |
  6. Dean

Suspended? Fire the a-hole! Oh, wait...he's a liberal working for a liberal organization and making defametory remarks about a conservative. He'll probably be promoted.

May 26, 2011 08:29 am at 8:29 am |
  7. Jim

What a jerk. A conservative would be fired. The difference between Reagan & Obama? Rome is on fire and Nero is off fiddling. Devastation all over the Plains and the deep South. And he left AFTER the Joplin tornado destroyed a city! Reagan wouldn't have done that. Neither Bush would have done that. Clinton or Carter wouldn't have done that. Just sayin'.

May 26, 2011 08:30 am at 8:30 am |
  8. Mark

Love your neighbor as much as you love yourself. that's what He teaches us. Too many love thier money more than anything. To be more concerned for money than for those affected by these desasters is sad, especially when our economic situation was created by those very same greedy people.

May 26, 2011 08:31 am at 8:31 am |
  9. jonathan

the left is getting a bit aggressive huh?

May 26, 2011 08:32 am at 8:32 am |
  10. Jim

You go Ed! Call them like you see them. I have to back up Ed on this one. What's wrong with this country? Remember sticks and stones can break my bones but names will never hurt me? Who really cares what people call each other, it's only words. This country is so politically correct it's downright pathetic. Get over it MSNBC. At least Ed has some balls! Do you think Fox News would suspend any other their hosts for saying slut, I think not. I'm surprised MSNBC didn't make Ed wash his mouth out with soap!

May 26, 2011 08:33 am at 8:33 am |
  11. Joe from CT, not Lieberman

Calling "Dr." Laura a $lut is an insult to $lut$ everywhere. Imagine raising her up to their level! Now if he referred to her as the slime mold she really is, he probably would not have gotten into as much trouble.

May 26, 2011 08:33 am at 8:33 am |
  12. DARTH VADER

this mis the left wing's glenn beck.
    gasbag.

May 26, 2011 08:35 am at 8:35 am |
  13. RKG

Yeah, I can understand it if he were referring to Palin!

May 26, 2011 08:35 am at 8:35 am |
  14. ST

MSNBC has to be tolerance to its employees. We miss so much Keith because of this. This is the way we have been living and we get used to all kind of languages. They are forced to do so with very irritating people from the other party. If Fox News could do the same (suspending their employees), I think it could be every minute. Has anyone heard what these people give out of the mouth: Hannity, John Gibson, Brian Kilmeade etc. etc. Its absurd!

May 26, 2011 08:36 am at 8:36 am |
  15. demogal

I know it was inappropriate to say on the air, but "talk slut" is one of the kinder things that can be said of Ingraham.

May 26, 2011 08:37 am at 8:37 am |
  16. Seattle Sue

Has anyone checked to see if what Schultz said was fact?

May 26, 2011 08:38 am at 8:38 am |
  17. Maryann

Good. This guy is an embarrassment to liberals.

May 26, 2011 08:39 am at 8:39 am |
  18. showmerancher

Just another Democrat showing the kind of people they are. Nothing new here. Move on.

May 26, 2011 08:40 am at 8:40 am |
  19. ac

Yes, as a woman the word "slut" is offensive! But honestly, I've watahed and heard this woman on Fox, she is so hateful towards our Presdient that sometimes the things she says about him make me cringe and wonder why SHE has not been suspended. Ed, I love your show and willcontinue to watch it!!! You are always there for the middle class and always come to the Presdient's defense. THANK YOU

May 26, 2011 08:41 am at 8:41 am |
  20. bayou2

When was the last time someone from Fox got kicked off the air?
    They can dish it out but can't take.
    Now it is off to Kenya, to boil some white people in a pot and have them for lunch, Rush fat ass will make a fine feast with some Bill on the side.

May 26, 2011 08:41 am at 8:41 am |
  21. TOTUS FOR PRESIDENT

Once again it is the loony left that spews hate, vitriol and (in other cases) violence. You never see this from the conservatives or Tea Party members, despite the best efforts of these same hatemongers - along with their cohorts in the MSM - to portray them that way. Up is down and white is black to them.

May 26, 2011 08:43 am at 8:43 am |
  22. Neil Pharr

Isn't she .........

May 26, 2011 08:44 am at 8:44 am |
  23. ConservaFASCISTS

Thank you for speaking your mind Ed and not being a network puppet. I been stopped watching CNN. You, Chris, Lawrence and RACHEL make my evening!!!

May 26, 2011 08:44 am at 8:44 am |
  24. Spuddy In New Orleans

I'm going to watch Ed tonight, then I'm going to take a week long break as well. When he comes back on, I'll start watching again. He used a very poor choice of words to call Ms. Ingram BUT his premise was correct and his stance was the truth. He just did not need to call the h.o.e a slut as I am quite sure she gets paid well for what she does. I'm Just Saying!!!

May 26, 2011 08:45 am at 8:45 am |
  25. Joe The Plumber

Ed, I love your show but please stay away from the personal attacks.

May 26, 2011 08:45 am at 8:45 am |