MSNBC host suspended over 'slut' comment
May 26th, 2011

MSNBC host suspended over 'slut' comment

(CNN) – MSNBC host Ed Schultz apologized Wednesday night for calling conservative host Laura Ingraham a "slut," comments that cost him a week long suspension from the cable channel.

"On my radio show yesterday, I used vile and inappropriate language with talking about radio talk show host Laura Ingraham. I am deeply sorry and I apologize," Schutlz said at the opening of his nightly program Wednesday. "It was wrong, uncalled-for and I apologize for the severity of what I've said."

Schultz, host of "The Ed Schultz Show" said no matter the circumstances, his comments were "terribly vile." He called the experience the "lowest of the low for me."

Ingraham accepted the apology via Tiwtter Thursday, writing "Ed Schultz: Apology accepted."

In a statement, MSNBC said Schultz accepted one week of "unpaid leave for the remarks he made."

"Ed will address these remarks on his show tonight and immediately following begin his leave," the statement read. "Remarks of this nature are unacceptable and will not be tolerated."

On his radio show Tuesday, the liberal Schultz criticized Republicans, and particularly Ingraham for thinking about how much the natural disasters currently plaguing the country "are going to cost" instead of "their next door neighbor."

"President Obama is going to be visiting Joplin, Missouri on Sunday, but you know what they're (Republicans) talking about, like this right-wing slut, what's her name? Laura Ingraham? Yeah, she's a talk slut," Schultz said. "You see, she was, back in the day praising President Reagan when he was drinking a beer overseas. But now that Obama's doing it, they're working him over."

Updated 12:15 p.m.

Filed under: MSNBC
  1. His Boy Elroy

Well, I guess... if it walks like a slut and talks like a slut. All these guys are sluts... sluts for ratings; sluts for rants; sluts for publicity; sluts for power; sluts for money; sluts for making a fool out of each and every American.

May 26, 2011 08:45 am at 8:45 am |
  2. Rudy NYC

Major Mistake Mr. Ed. Wilbur is justifiably upset with you.
    You are just as much a barker as she is, Mr. Ed.
    Both of you have your moments of "over the topness."
    You went over and down the cliff with this one, Mr. Ed.

May 26, 2011 08:46 am at 8:46 am |
  3. Josie McCourtney

I want him fired.

May 26, 2011 08:46 am at 8:46 am |
  4. Gary

I applaud MSNBC for suspending Ed. The treatment of women in politics, Laura Ingram, Sarah Palin and even Hiliary Clinton has been unfair and inappropriate at times. I think that MSNBC has chosen to become the FOX news of the left which is okay but then these polarizing figures such as Ed sometimes go too far. I have to admit I prefer news agencies that make an attempt at balanced and less biased reporting. Probably no news agency is perfect but MSNBC clearly is staking it's territory on the left.

May 26, 2011 08:47 am at 8:47 am |
  5. Josh

I'm no conservabot, but Ed is a fat moron. His show is the worst one on MSNBC. He is such a poor broadcaster that his show is nearly unwatchable. I have no idea why anyone would listen to his radio show long enough to have heard this comment.

Limbaugh of the Left.

May 26, 2011 08:47 am at 8:47 am |
  6. wakiash

Sometimes the truth hurts,and is extremely costly.

May 26, 2011 08:48 am at 8:48 am |
  7. Libs are the hateful ones

What a surprise.......

Why are uber liberals have the most intolerant of all? Seems they will never be happy until everyone decides thinks exactly as they do

May 26, 2011 08:48 am at 8:48 am |
  8. mario

Can't blame Ed for telling the truth sometimes we all get a little too emotional when expressing our true feelings god bless our country

May 26, 2011 08:49 am at 8:49 am |
  9. Paul

Too bad, he is actually quite right in his description of her.

May 26, 2011 08:49 am at 8:49 am |
  10. GrogInOhio

Interesting. What would the chances be of someone at Faux News being suspended for saying a president had a "deep abiding hate for white people" or calling a gesture between a candidate and his wife a "terrorist fist jab"?

May 26, 2011 08:49 am at 8:49 am |
  11. Sgt Schultz

I have never agreed with Ed more. He said he is very sorry. I agree he IS very sorry. I also like how he said this was the lowest of low for even him, again I agree. I almost felt sorry for him as he sat there eating humble pie and begging forgiveness. Then I recalled what a pompous mean spirited lying sack of crap this guy is and enjoyed every minute of watching him apologize.

May 26, 2011 08:50 am at 8:50 am |
  12. lynn

The truth is painful sometimes, but he just gave the sick minds of Fox more ammunition.

May 26, 2011 08:50 am at 8:50 am |
  13. c

Ed was right, I listen to her and a lot of right wing talk show's. Ingraham and her ilk are constantly using derogatory terms about Obama and anybody who doesn't go along with their Fox ideology. Most of the time they don't even try to veil their more often not racist rants. My hat is off to him for apologizing; but who is there to make them apologize.

I heard her comments about the cost of the weather related disasters in Joplin; she should be ashamed of herself for caring more about money than the American's she claims to love so much. Ed was right! I don't know if she is the S word; but she IS a dumb loud mouthed hypocrit and a terrible pshycologist. If my dog was wearing a tin foil hat; I'd rather take her to a witchdoctor for help. The woman is an idiot.

May 26, 2011 08:50 am at 8:50 am |
  14. indydave

Notice how no liberals are claiming that his First Amendment rights are being violated now that he's being let go? That's 'cos they're not. But if Dr. Laura or Rush or Palin some other right-wing talker says something similarly crass (and this was crass, no doubt about it) and gets let go from their job or suffers criticism, suddenly it's a First Amendment issue and somehow the government's fault. Well, I guess any excuse to gin up more hate is good enough for the far-right reactionaries. And at least Schultz's apology sounds sincere and direct, not a non-apology apology, not a deflection, not an excuse.

May 26, 2011 08:51 am at 8:51 am |
  15. Roy

Wow – I guess Slut is less offensive than Nappy Headed Ho's. or maybe since it was directed at a conservative they can let it slide. Hypocrites on the left make me vomit.

May 26, 2011 08:51 am at 8:51 am |
  16. hcd

if he was on foxnews or one of the right wing talk shows, he probably would have been given an award. ingraham has said much worse about victims of crimes and the poor and homeless, but whatever. I think the comment was wrong, I am just saying others would have been fine with it on their shows.

May 26, 2011 08:51 am at 8:51 am |
  17. Levin

Politically I'm in agreement with over 90% of what Schultz says, but he comes across as a blowhard and a thug. He even sounds eerily like Rush Limbaugh, his right-wing counterpart. TIme to turn down the vitriol on both sides.

May 26, 2011 08:51 am at 8:51 am |
  18. Zicke

This guy is like the Rush Limbaugh of the left. We don't need to stoop to the right wing anger tactics.

May 26, 2011 08:53 am at 8:53 am |
  19. JoY

Miss you Ed, you got slightly ahead of yourself, can't blame you, that happens sometimes to the best of us. I love you even with your extra trimmings.

May 26, 2011 08:53 am at 8:53 am |
  20. Fair is Fair

Fat boy is the worst – repeat, WORST – hack I've seen in my entire life.

May 26, 2011 08:53 am at 8:53 am |
  21. camper

You can dislike someone or criticize them while remaining civil. Unfortunately, "talking head" journalism has shifted this paradigm and made it fashionable to trash people at the lowest common denominator.

Schultz takes vitriolic tirades to the ultimate. He deserves the reprimand and the suspension.

May 26, 2011 08:55 am at 8:55 am |
  22. blaqmajik

stick to your guns Ed, They put cross hairs on people, disrespect our President, and now they want to call foul over that?!?! Please, that is the nicest word I could call any of them Republicons.

May 26, 2011 08:56 am at 8:56 am |
  23. Adam

He's right though...

May 26, 2011 08:57 am at 8:57 am |
  24. The Greedy Old Pigs have declared class war on America!

Very poor choice of words. Ingraham is a very vile example of the radical rightwing extremists, however.

May 26, 2011 08:57 am at 8:57 am |