Cain sees 'double standard' with Obama
May 27th, 2011

Cain sees 'double standard' with Obama

(CNN) – Republican presidential candidate Herman Cain defended his limited foreign policy experience by comparing his history to that of President Barack Obama.

"President Obama didn't (have any) either. So why is it, it's a double standard," Cain said Friday on "CNN Newsroom."

When pressed on the comparison, given that Cain is frequently critical of the president, he said Obama's failings are because he lacks "problem solving experience," something the former Godfather's Pizza CEO said he has.

"I have taken organizations that were troubled financially and made them very successful," Cain told CNN's Carol Costello. "It appears as if some people want to give President Obama a pass for lack of experience but yet they don't want to acknowledge my problem solving experience."

He also stood by an earlier statement that he would be uncomfortable with a Muslim serving in his administration, before adding he has "always hired the best people, regardless of race, creed, religion preference etc."

"I'm going to have the best people in my administration," Cain said. "The question was would I be comfortable (with a Muslim in my cabinet) and I was honest, no. But that doesn't totally exclude there possibly could be a Muslim in my administration."

"Any other type of extremists I would also be uncomfortable having them in my administration,' he said.

And when asked about his apparent confusion over "right of return" - the idea that those Palestinians who lost their homes in 1948 could return to their land - last Sunday on "Fox News Sunday," Cain said he was "caught off guard."

"If Chris Wallace (host of "Fox News Sunday") had said Palestinian right of return when he asked the question it would have triggered what he was talking about. He asked me about right of return and so it didn't register," Cain said. "I didn't know where he was going with that question."

Filed under: 2012 • Herman Cain • President Obama • TV-CNN Newsroom
  1. Lynda/Minnesota

It's not, Mr. Cain. I suspect you will be just as hounded for your lack of experience as was President Obama back in '07. He overcame the criticism. Whether or not you will is yet to be seen. Oh, BTW. I wouldn't be measuring the drapes just yet. Look what happened when Sharron Angle and what's his name from Alaska (Joe somebody or another) started measuring too soon. If you're suggesting I should now turn my allegiance from President Obama to you, well, sorry, but I am NOT a Republican, and truth be told, I abhor all that you and your Party stands for.

May 27, 2011 11:09 am at 11:09 am |
  2. Dan

You're better off at making pizzas.

May 27, 2011 11:09 am at 11:09 am |
  3. Redleg

I guess Cain is also uncomfortable with the Muslims in the military. Maybe that's why he dodged service himself. How doe she feel about Jews or Asians?

May 27, 2011 11:09 am at 11:09 am |
  4. Tony

NOT QUALIFIED for the job.

May 27, 2011 11:10 am at 11:10 am |
  5. azmary

Over the years it has been my experience, both as a community organizer, and as the head of an organization, the bottom up problem solving as a comunity organizer is a heck of a lot more complex, and requires a lot more problem solving skill than a top down position where you can tell people what to do and they do it. So from where I sit, Mr. Cain does not have adaquate leadership and real world problem solving experience. Add that to lack of foreign policy experience and he is not qualified to be president. I also am taken aback by his implying that Muslims are a "type of extremists".

May 27, 2011 11:12 am at 11:12 am |
  6. Vader

Double down on that!

May 27, 2011 11:12 am at 11:12 am |
  7. Johnson

Since when did Muslim equate to extremism

May 27, 2011 11:13 am at 11:13 am |
  8. AEK

Unfortunately Mr. Cain doesn't seem to understand that the reason the Republican base and the Tea Party show so much disrespect for President Obama is that he is "not like they are." Mr. Cain and the women candidates will not be representing the GOP because they have the same problem.

May 27, 2011 11:15 am at 11:15 am |
  9. Shadysider

The difference is that though neither of you has experience, that Obama was well read enough that he was knowledgable about our foreign affairs, and history to form opinions of foreign affairs. Cain, on the other hand, gave a non-answer multiple times. It's not a double standard at all.

May 27, 2011 11:17 am at 11:17 am |
  10. Palinwho

Obama never failed to understand any question on foreign policy. He was outstanding and never complained when asked the hard queries. Simple

May 27, 2011 11:19 am at 11:19 am |
  11. Mike in NC

Tony...Were you referring to Barack Obama? You are correct!

May 27, 2011 11:19 am at 11:19 am |
  12. Alex

It's not a double-standard. The current president had legislative experience while running for office; this candidate has none.

May 27, 2011 11:22 am at 11:22 am |
  13. Eric

"Any other type of extremeists I would also be uncomfortable with in my administration" ... so you think that all muslims are extremists?

May 27, 2011 11:22 am at 11:22 am |
  14. David S.

Muslim = Extremist???

Yeah, good luck with that Mr. Cain...

May 27, 2011 11:22 am at 11:22 am |
  15. sh

"Johnson

Since when did Muslim equate to extremism"

That is my sentiment exactly. Mr. Cain just lumped all muslims into the same pot. To me, that does not seem very presidential at all. It seems like Mr. Cain is just trying to gain some traction any way he can. Just an old man with way too much time on his hands.

May 27, 2011 11:23 am at 11:23 am |
  16. Ed

No we CAIN Not!

May 27, 2011 11:24 am at 11:24 am |
  17. Mark

Isn't he being prejudice by saying he would be uncomfortable with a Muslim in his administration? Like saying he would be uncomfortable with a Cathoilic? Hate is an ugly trait.

May 27, 2011 11:24 am at 11:24 am |
  18. HC

Let me get this straight. A constitutional scholar versus a Pizza chain manager. l have hard time to distinguish who is more adapt to lead this country. Could CNN please help me with this dilemma. What a bunch of crazies... CNN and all news media, we tried an incompetent president for 8 years and know what we got in return. So, please be tough on this people and do not ruin America....

May 27, 2011 11:24 am at 11:24 am |
  19. GrogInOhio

"A pass" on the lack of experience??? Ahem... President Obama was hammered with the 3:00AM phone call and called a "community organizer" (apparently meant as a smear that I, for one, never quite understood) during the primary and general campaigns. President Obama faced the criticism and won. Mr. Cain will be required to do the same. Mr. Cain is either forgetful or disingenuous.

May 27, 2011 11:25 am at 11:25 am |
  20. Claudia, Houston, Tx

Republicans have become some of America's most devisive people who don't understand they portray themselves as one of the most extremist groups in politics and we don't like it.

May 27, 2011 11:25 am at 11:25 am |
  21. Bill from GA

You, sir, are no Barack Obama.

May 27, 2011 11:26 am at 11:26 am |
  22. Sniffit

It's not a double standard. Obama may not have had a great deal of hands-on foreign policy experience, but he said a whole lot of very sane, practical, reasonable, rational and realitstic things about it. Cain? Not so much. In fact, he doesn't say much about anything that should be considered sane, practical, reasonable, rational or realistic.

May 27, 2011 11:28 am at 11:28 am |
  23. lynn

President Obama did have political experience, he was elected by the citizens of Illinois as their Senator. Know your facts before opening mouth and proving you know squat.

May 27, 2011 11:29 am at 11:29 am |
  24. Sniffit

"Since when did Muslim equate to extremism"

Since fear and bigotry became the GOP's main tool for attempting to manipulate voters.

May 27, 2011 11:29 am at 11:29 am |
  25. Sniffit

""Any other type of extremists I would also be uncomfortable having them in my administration,' "

I find it hard to believe he would run as a Republican and then appoint only Democrats to his administration.

May 27, 2011 11:31 am at 11:31 am |