Cain sees 'double standard' with Obama
May 27th, 2011

Cain sees 'double standard' with Obama

(CNN) – Republican presidential candidate Herman Cain defended his limited foreign policy experience by comparing his history to that of President Barack Obama.

"President Obama didn't (have any) either. So why is it, it's a double standard," Cain said Friday on "CNN Newsroom."

When pressed on the comparison, given that Cain is frequently critical of the president, he said Obama's failings are because he lacks "problem solving experience," something the former Godfather's Pizza CEO said he has.

"I have taken organizations that were troubled financially and made them very successful," Cain told CNN's Carol Costello. "It appears as if some people want to give President Obama a pass for lack of experience but yet they don't want to acknowledge my problem solving experience."

He also stood by an earlier statement that he would be uncomfortable with a Muslim serving in his administration, before adding he has "always hired the best people, regardless of race, creed, religion preference etc."

"I'm going to have the best people in my administration," Cain said. "The question was would I be comfortable (with a Muslim in my cabinet) and I was honest, no. But that doesn't totally exclude there possibly could be a Muslim in my administration."

"Any other type of extremists I would also be uncomfortable having them in my administration,' he said.

And when asked about his apparent confusion over "right of return" - the idea that those Palestinians who lost their homes in 1948 could return to their land - last Sunday on "Fox News Sunday," Cain said he was "caught off guard."

"If Chris Wallace (host of "Fox News Sunday") had said Palestinian right of return when he asked the question it would have triggered what he was talking about. He asked me about right of return and so it didn't register," Cain said. "I didn't know where he was going with that question."

Filed under: 2012 • Herman Cain • President Obama • TV-CNN Newsroom
  1. Robert

Any OTHER type??? Since when are American Muslims considered extremists??? Sounds like you've got a bigotry problem Mr. Cain. Since you're so good at problem solving, I suggest you get to work on it.

May 27, 2011 11:52 am at 11:52 am |
  2. LegendRx

Barack Obama has that special something, that exceeds mere men comprehension who seek to be president and or leaders of sorts. I would call it substance of a higher breed or grade to come. Raising the bar, as it were. Many of men, white, black, receive Barack with mixed admiration while hinging on the borderline of envy. He's an enigma to the prehistoric imposed order of conventional thinkers. They, along with the republicans are of dead and buried into yesterday and We free thinkers are Unstoppable, moving into tomorrow with a brighter future.

May 27, 2011 11:53 am at 11:53 am |
  3. vic , nashville ,tn

tru TV can start new show “ world’s Dumbest candidates ever” all these GOP candidates will qualify for the show

May 27, 2011 11:54 am at 11:54 am |
  4. Kwesoe

Mr. Cain forgets that among non-arab Muslims, African Americans make up a large percentage of converts to Islam in this country. The Elijah Mohammeds, the Malcolm X and members of their congregations included. So to refer to all muslims as extremists actually points the finger at his fellow african americans. Me thinks there is going to be gnashing of Teeth!

May 27, 2011 11:59 am at 11:59 am |
  5. GaryB

Actually, Obama did have a fair amount of foreign policy experience from his work on the "loose nukes" issue. Herman Cain is just ill-informed, something he needs to rectify if he wants to be seen as a serious contender for president and not a male Sarah Palin.

May 27, 2011 12:00 pm at 12:00 pm |
  6. GL

He don't have a chance in hell.

May 27, 2011 12:04 pm at 12:04 pm |
  7. B

One more outlandish extremist !

This guy is really scary.

May 27, 2011 12:05 pm at 12:05 pm |
  8. Anonymous

Cain has worked more in his life than Obama ever will. Obama was a hand out king. Making $200,000 a year in Chicago while working for a "non-profit" organization. Obama and people like him are what is EXACTLY wrong with this country today.

May 27, 2011 12:06 pm at 12:06 pm |
  9. GL

He just had a Sara Palin moment.

May 27, 2011 12:07 pm at 12:07 pm |
  10. Brian

I laughed out loud. Mr. Cain. YOU are an extremist. Your libertarian views should never be considered mainstream

May 27, 2011 12:10 pm at 12:10 pm |
  11. Voice of Reason

The difference is that Obama is not a blithering idiot. Cain is.

May 27, 2011 12:11 pm at 12:11 pm |
  12. Voice of Reason

According to Cain – Obama's foreign experience started at birth... Maybe he should claim the same?

May 27, 2011 12:12 pm at 12:12 pm |
  13. Perryboy

Cain should just keep selling pizzas, he'll do better at that.

May 27, 2011 12:18 pm at 12:18 pm |