Perry 'thinking' about presidential run
May 27th, 2011

Perry 'thinking' about presidential run

Des Moines, Iowa (CNN) - Texas Gov. Rick Perry said Friday he will consider a run for the Republican presidential nomination.

"I'm going to think about it" after the Texas legislative session ends on Monday, Perry told reporters in Austin after a bill signing. Perry added, "But I think about a lot of things."

Perry's remarks come on the heels of a Fox News interview this week in which he admitted that he is "tempted" to run for president.

"Oh, I can't say I'm not tempted, but the fact is this is something I don't want to do," Perry said.

A spokesman for Perry's office immediately sought to walk back his comments, noting that the governor has said he has no plans to run and that his position on the matter "remains the same."

Perry has been questioned about the presidential race on a near daily basis by the dogged Texas press corps, especially in recent weeks following the departure of Mississippi Gov. Haley Barbour, former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee and Indiana Gov. Mitch Daniels from the presidential field.

He has repeatedly dismissed the speculation while also never completely shutting the door on a run.

Perry addressed a Republican National Committee meeting in Dallas earlier this month and impressed a number of state party chairman, several of whom told CNN they would like to see him mount a campaign.

David Carney, Rick Perry's closest political adviser, told CNN that the governor is indeed "thinking" about a presidential bid. But Carney cautioned that it's simply "human nature" to contemplate a run for higher office after receiving words of encouragement from Republican donors and activists around the country.

"Nothing has really changed," Carney said. "He is not running for president. The drumbeat over the last three to four weeks has been pretty intense. But he hasn't made any decision."

Carney said Perry gave an "honest answer" Friday when asked about his ambitions.

"He is thinking about it," Carney said. "Its become a topic of discussion. It's not a systematic look at how he would do this. It's a much more casual thing than that."

A Perry bid would be problematic given the fact that both Carney and Perry's 2010 campaign manager Rob Johnson are currently working for Newt Gingrich's presidential effort.

"That would be a little bit of a complication," Carney said.

Perry also serves as chairman of the Republican Governors Association.

Perry is the longest serving governor in Texas history and won a historic third term last November. But according to the latest University of Texas/Texas Tribune poll released this week, only four percent of Texas Republicans would support Republican Gov. Rick Perry in a bid for the White House.

A CNN/Opinion Research Corporation poll out Friday indicates that 50 percent of Republicans and independents who lean toward the GOP say they would not like to see Perry run for the nomination, while 40 percent say they would like to see him run.

At the RNC meeting in Dallas, Perry predicted that the Republican presidential field may not be finalized for some time.

"It's a bit early to be identifying who is going to the choice of the Republicans," Perry told reporters. "I think there are still a number of folks out there who have not made a decision about it."

Filed under: 2012 • Rick Perry • Texas
  1. Bob

Go Rick Go.. We haven't got anyone better..

May 27, 2011 03:00 pm at 3:00 pm |
  2. Billy

Didn't he say that Texas should leave the US?

May 27, 2011 03:01 pm at 3:01 pm |
  3. Boo-Yah

He would never seriously consider a presidential run because he does want to be let out of the closet (just yet?) and show the nation his and his party's hipocrisy. As a presidential candidate all sorts of cockroaches will come out of the woodwork.

May 27, 2011 03:04 pm at 3:04 pm |
  4. El Pancho

Wait a minute, wait a minute...let me get this straight – Perry is considering a run at the Presidency? Didn't he curse the US a few years ago? Didn't he threaten secession? Seriously! Are we gonna just let that go?

Not only did this guy criticize the US, but he went running back to the same government he criticized asking for more assistance after the Swine Flu outbreak and the recent wildfires?

I want a president who is proud to be an American, not one that is proud only when it suits him.

May 27, 2011 03:05 pm at 3:05 pm |
  5. Kenn Sutton

This man is the most corrupt Governor in Texas History, but I would vote for him for president just to get him out of our state.

May 27, 2011 03:05 pm at 3:05 pm |
  6. thomas

Yes, Yes , Yes !

It would be be great to see the first in the closet " Log Cabin " President from Texas in the white house !

Soon to be Ex governor Perry and his machine are looking for the Vice president spot . He knows the GOP needs a gun toting extremest to carry the South !

May 27, 2011 03:06 pm at 3:06 pm |
  7. TexasDem1987

Great now the entire nation can share in his corruption. Get ready for an awful education system and cronyism like never before.

May 27, 2011 03:06 pm at 3:06 pm |
  8. FactCheck

Much in the same way that Lindsay Lohan was "thinking" about winning an Oscar.

May 27, 2011 03:08 pm at 3:08 pm |
  9. abby, texas

I live in Texas, and, trust me on this one, America, you do NOT want Gov. "Good-Hair" Perry as president. This is the same man who not too long ago was saying that Texas should secede from the union!
    Texas is the state where the politicians don't believe in science but in creationism, where there is plenty of money for the "good ole boys" but not for education, the infirmed, the aged, and the poor. This is a state where Hispanics are welcome to pick lettuce but not to vote. This is a state where women are second class citizens.
    Didn't America learn its lesson with Dubya?
    We don't need another good ole boy in the White House.

May 27, 2011 03:10 pm at 3:10 pm |
  10. Me

Oh My Gawd! I just gagged and vomted in my mouth...I ga-vomited!
    Remember America. the last dumb ass president we had came from the Great State of Texas too.
    I say let him run and see what happens

May 27, 2011 03:10 pm at 3:10 pm |
  11. Ancient Texan

While I gladly voted for Perry in the last two elections instead of very liberal, unqualified candidates, I will not vote for him for president. I do admire his blunt rejection of the far left Obama administration and hope and pray that they do not win reelection, I can not see Rick being a good president. I'll wait for more choices to emerge.

May 27, 2011 03:10 pm at 3:10 pm |
  12. dk

Hope so, this guy is too stupid for words...guaranteed victory for Obama!!!

May 27, 2011 03:12 pm at 3:12 pm |
  13. ITALIAN NONNO

This guy is a separatist,.. he should be charged with treason.

May 27, 2011 03:12 pm at 3:12 pm |
  14. rick

So the secessionist governor now wants to be President of the country he talked about seceeding from. Wow!!! How the worm turns!

May 27, 2011 03:12 pm at 3:12 pm |
  15. S. In California / Obama 2012

Please run Mr. Perry so I can see you humilitated, thrown out and forsaken by the American people who depise you.

May 27, 2011 03:12 pm at 3:12 pm |
  16. allens

more good news for obama. these people are nuts!

May 27, 2011 03:17 pm at 3:17 pm |
  17. lynn

Everybody and their dog is running for President. Lots of ego-maniacs in the Republcan oarty.

May 27, 2011 03:17 pm at 3:17 pm |
  18. David, CA

Pack another one into the GOP ClownCar. They should all just save the money or donate it to charity. Not a single one of them is electable. Such a waste of funds on these vanity runs.

May 27, 2011 03:18 pm at 3:18 pm |
  19. logic in LA

Why not just put every Republican politicians name on a ballot and see who wins?

May 27, 2011 03:18 pm at 3:18 pm |
  20. BostonianTheWoodlandsTX

This guy is a big blowheart. I can also say that he's just a Bush Clone. Everything about him: The way he talks,his hand gestures,his 'cowboy clothing" . The guy was a DEMOCRAT,then jumped ship when he saw he could get elected.

In my time down I here,I must say I've met alot of nice Texans,but the conservatives are beyond amazing. Ignorant of issses,almost to the point of being WILLFULLY ignorant. There is no such thing as having a healthly debate or conversation with conservatives here. They know two words and use them constantly: Obamacare and Socialist. Oh,and "no more taxes." You'd think these people were living in New Jersey or New York the way they care on about taxes here.

I've been with my company for 10 years, and thats why I live in TX. Before 2009 none of the people here had a complaint in the world about the federal government. NONE OF THEM.

We have a budget shortfall down here, and in Houston they were ready to cut loose quite a few firefighters and cops. Some of the teachers all around the state have been shown the door. The mayor in Houston made some deals and they were able to keep the cops and firefighters....for now at least. The amazing thing ? There are people STILL calling for smaller government,but can't figure out why they are trying to get rid of law enforcement and firefighters ? YOU HAVE TO PAY FOR THAT STUFF !

Not Perry,he's goiojg to talk tough,tell the President to keep that stimulus money,then make President Obama out to be the bad guy when he ( Perry screws up the budget )

We had a great guy in Bill White running for governor,but the conservatives down here would have elected G.W. Bush first in spite,before they elcted a Democrat. Being from Massachusetts I can this state is as RED as Mass is Blue,but the conservatives ,the way they vote and think defies all logic.

I suggest the rest of America avoid Perry like Nuclear waste if he runs.

May 27, 2011 03:21 pm at 3:21 pm |
  21. Kevin Collins

As if Perry doesn't give Texas a big black eye as it is...

May 27, 2011 03:24 pm at 3:24 pm |
  22. Lisa max

Why run for prez of the USA..I thought you were ready to secede from the union? Just secede and become the texas Prez! hahahaha

May 27, 2011 03:24 pm at 3:24 pm |
  23. jk from MN

This from a Governor who talked about cessation for Texas a copule years ago. Really? And you expect the rest of the country to vote for you?

May 27, 2011 03:25 pm at 3:25 pm |
  24. Roscoe

Maybe run for president of Texas. Or, team up with Palin & Bachmann on the all nut bag ticket.

May 27, 2011 03:26 pm at 3:26 pm |
  25. Nope.

Oh h*ll no. As a Texan who is witnessing the magic Perry does while in charge I will make it my life goal to ensure he does not get elected. I will donate every inch of my being and my bank accounts to anti-Perry campaigns. You thought Bush was bad, but he was just stupid and easily to manipulate. Perry cares only about pro-business conservatives. He will make the average American poorer than they already are and derail meaningful scientific and progressive studies and movements. He is dangerous, and Texans are lucky that the governorship is such a relatively weak office.

May 27, 2011 03:26 pm at 3:26 pm |