Obama's 2012 campaign makes moves
May 28th, 2011

Obama's 2012 campaign makes moves

(CNN)– There are 531 days to go until the 2012 presidential election, and a new web video released today by the Obama campaign promises a jump start for a campaign designed to reignite President Obama's backers and build grassroots support.

"In September and October we will see a sea of volunteers come into our offices. We know we have to have an infrastructure in place, an organization in place to properly channel that energy," Obama's Battleground Director Mitch Stewart says in the video.

"What we've learned is that the best way is to have a team up where we empower local volunteers to take leadership roles within our campaign [and] make decisions within our campaign in their neighborhood or in their community based off of the work they have done leading up to the election, but also because of their experience."

"But we have a lot of work to do," Stewart admitted.

A summer organizer program will have supporters going door-to-door, registering voters to build group support within neighborhoods throughout the country, a function that Stewart says will make up the heart and soul of the campaign.

The campaign also plans to make the standard telephone calls, meet with past supporters and prospective new ones individually in a "One-on-One Program."

"The results are a massive army of newly energized volunteers, plus thousands of pages of ideas and feedback that will inform how we shape our organization nationally," Stewart said. "We're going to build it from the ground up. And we're going to use this summer to roll out our team model and organizing structure through grassroots planning sessions in homes and by videoconference."

Such grassroots efforts were also part of Obama's successful 2008 campaign, which incorporated the internet and social networking to rally new supporters and made strides with the help of their "Yes We Can" slogan.

Numbers show the energy is still there for Obama's 2012 reelection. Applications to work on the president's campaign this time around have already exceeded the numbers at this point in the 2008 campaign.

Obama's re-election campaign is headquartered in One Prudential Plaza in downtown Chicago. In his 2008 campaign for president, Obama hauled in a record breaking $750 million dollars.

The president has the potential to raise up to $1 billion in his bid for re-election.

Filed under: 2012 • President Obama
  1. DENNA

"Numbers show the energy is still there for Obama's 2012 reelection. "

I don't doubt it for a minute. The Republican field is so lame, I can't even believe that they are bothering to pick a candidate. President Obama has kept all of his campaign promises, gas prices are falling and the economy is rising. Heck, the Rethugs are even helping him by trying to destroy Social Security and Medicare. These idiots are calling them "entitlements" when they are really taxes that should be returned to senior citizens now that they need them. LOL just let the Rethugs keep on messing around and President Obama will be one of a long line of Democratic presidents in the future.

May 28, 2011 03:34 pm at 3:34 pm |
  2. Anonymous

Obama got Osama. That's enough motivation for me to want to work for his campaign.

May 28, 2011 04:04 pm at 4:04 pm |
  3. Claudia, Houston, Tx

$1 billion plus for Obama's Presidential campaign while Republicans have a few who are using this opportunity to enrich themselves. I refuse to allow Palin, her unemployed husband and family pimp me out so they can build a $1.2 million dollar home and live the life of luxury on my money; these people are no more than pandering gypsy and have taken Americans for fools.

May 28, 2011 04:04 pm at 4:04 pm |
  4. Proud member of "Global Zero"

Glad to be one of the "Summer Organizers" this year. I have moved since the last election and do not know many people in my new area. Meetings all next weekend. I am Fired Up! Ready to go!!

May 28, 2011 04:08 pm at 4:08 pm |
  5. Howard

I'm sure armies of free loaders, and corrupt, former ACORN organizers, are being recruited by the Obama campaign. Obama has NOT kept his 2008 campaign promises, including transparently airing pending legislation online and on c-span. Obama is ruining our economy, and spending us into oblivion. Americans are hurting every time they visit the market, or the gas pumps. And, their home investments, and retirement accounts have dwindled under Obama. Obama will need the BILLION dollars, he has bragged about, to buy votes for his reelection efforts.

SAVE AMERICA ... DUMP OBAMA IN 2012 !!!

May 28, 2011 04:12 pm at 4:12 pm |
  6. J

you've got my vote

Obama/Biden

May 28, 2011 04:13 pm at 4:13 pm |
  7. deb

I'm here for you Prez! YES I CAN!!!

May 28, 2011 04:23 pm at 4:23 pm |
  8. myem

Obama/Biden 2012......I'm totally in!!!

May 28, 2011 04:23 pm at 4:23 pm |
  9. FM

This time am very ready to work like a donkey so that we don't let this bimp know nothing (Queen of Alaska), don't smell where the Oval Office is located. Whoever is volunteering let us stop the game she likes to play once and for all. 2012 should be a big lesson and will not show her face or be heard again! Yes we can do it! And we will do it.

May 28, 2011 04:32 pm at 4:32 pm |
  10. nintex

For the first time in my life I'm actively involved in helping the Democratic party win the next election. And I have only Sarah Palin to thank for this fact. Thanks, Sarah.

May 28, 2011 04:36 pm at 4:36 pm |
  11. cb7684

So proud to be part of "Organizing for America", I am ready to go President Obama. Can't wait.....

May 28, 2011 04:36 pm at 4:36 pm |
  12. Larry L

He'll have my support. I'm pleased to have an intellectual President who cares about all Americans – not just the lobbyists with the big checks and the right-wing Tea Baggers. At 64 years of age, this is the best leadership I've seen in some of the toughest conditions. President Obama will get my work, my money, and my vote.

May 28, 2011 04:38 pm at 4:38 pm |
  13. Mary

you've got my vote but there are others in my family to brain washed by FOX – so i will have to work doubly hard to counter their vote. I will at least two new voters for their one. I will make sure i achieve that between now and 2012. My first vote was for John F. Kennedy – it was a privlege to vote for Barak Obama and I can't wait to vote for him again. Taking care of my health to make sure I make it to November 2012. The Republican Party has lost its way and while the Democrats don't always make me happy either, they appeal to my sense of social justice. I'm fired up, ready to go!

May 28, 2011 04:39 pm at 4:39 pm |
  14. hannah

I am for Obama all the way. Just think if the Republicans were to steal another election. Medicare and SS down the drain, grandma on the street w/o health care, more wars and military buildup, more tax breaks for the rich, more subsidies for the oil companies, continue to deregulate the financial companies which means more boom and bust. And guess who wins in boom and bust years; the wealthy and the corporations.

May 28, 2011 04:51 pm at 4:51 pm |
  15. QuietStormX

Obama's 2012 Campaign has my full support so he can finish what he has started or couldn't get done in his first term. Because it looks and feels like the House will go back to the Democrats. Like there are things that have to get done, like cap and trade and the power situation that needs too be done. I don't see any republican who could match anything Barack Obama has done so far...

May 28, 2011 04:53 pm at 4:53 pm |
  16. m1983

I hope Sean Hannity will do again what he did in 2008 bring up Rev Wright, Bill Ayers, because everytime Sean mention
    their names Obama poll went up a few points. I think this guy go to bed at night and get up in the morning thinking about
    the President. He will win in 2012. The young people are fired up already.

May 28, 2011 04:58 pm at 4:58 pm |
  17. michaelam

Right there with you, Mr. President! We must move this country forward and NOT in the way the GOP/Teahadists would like! We must ensure that our seniors receive the programs that they paid into all of their working lives. We must ensure that we have a STRONG Middle-Class that fuels our economy and provides adequately for their families. We must ensure equality for ALL and NOT just the uber rich and white, male Protestants. WE, the People are fired up and ready to go!

Obama/Biden--2012! Take back the House, kick those Teahadists to the curb, remove the BLUE DOGS, gain more seats in the Senate, and move this country forward!

May 28, 2011 05:11 pm at 5:11 pm |
  18. mj

This is major news? Obama has been in campaign mode since the last election. Our economy is in shambles. No jobs, major deficit (thanks to Obama), outrageous Health Care Premiums, Gas, Food, and Housing Market at rock bottom. Throwing money we do not have to foreign countries who don't like us or don't need it. With all the devastation we have had in our own Country it is time to take care of our own and not some dictator who lives in luxury at our expense. Didn't get my vote the first time and, most certainly, will not get it this time around.

May 28, 2011 05:12 pm at 5:12 pm |
  19. Name Creole

I'm in OBAMA/Biden 2012 BAAAAAAAABy!!!!!!!!!!! Let's do this thing .....

May 28, 2011 05:16 pm at 5:16 pm |
  20. Bret

No way I'll vote for this fraud of a Prez.

May 28, 2011 05:20 pm at 5:20 pm |
  21. Duque Duke

Is this blog part of his campaign? I like to see liberal media disguised as bloggers. I think this country needs more fair and balance news channels. Not like CNN, FOX or MSNBC. It seems like all news channels are more a political propaganda fortress than anything. Sad.

May 28, 2011 05:20 pm at 5:20 pm |
  22. TN

Yes we can and We Will Obama/Biden 2012

May 28, 2011 05:23 pm at 5:23 pm |
  23. barbara

GOBAMA!!! You got my vote!

May 28, 2011 05:24 pm at 5:24 pm |
  24. Rich

These repubs know one thing is for sure. Obama is going to get re-elected in 2012. The motivation from the grassroots is going to cause a pandemonium for them all. Even with the mentioned of "Mama Grizzly", we're staunt supporters of the president, and we make sure he gets re-elected. The election of a Republican candidate is like signing your death warrant. Wake up America and open your eyes. No one needs to alert you, the inscription is written on the wall.

May 28, 2011 05:25 pm at 5:25 pm |
  25. Gayle L.

I'm jazzed and ready to do what it takes! Obama's our only sane choice.

May 28, 2011 05:25 pm at 5:25 pm |