Obama's 2012 campaign makes moves
May 28th, 2011

Obama's 2012 campaign makes moves

(CNN)– There are 531 days to go until the 2012 presidential election, and a new web video released today by the Obama campaign promises a jump start for a campaign designed to reignite President Obama's backers and build grassroots support.

"In September and October we will see a sea of volunteers come into our offices. We know we have to have an infrastructure in place, an organization in place to properly channel that energy," Obama's Battleground Director Mitch Stewart says in the video.

"What we've learned is that the best way is to have a team up where we empower local volunteers to take leadership roles within our campaign [and] make decisions within our campaign in their neighborhood or in their community based off of the work they have done leading up to the election, but also because of their experience."

"But we have a lot of work to do," Stewart admitted.

A summer organizer program will have supporters going door-to-door, registering voters to build group support within neighborhoods throughout the country, a function that Stewart says will make up the heart and soul of the campaign.

The campaign also plans to make the standard telephone calls, meet with past supporters and prospective new ones individually in a "One-on-One Program."

"The results are a massive army of newly energized volunteers, plus thousands of pages of ideas and feedback that will inform how we shape our organization nationally," Stewart said. "We're going to build it from the ground up. And we're going to use this summer to roll out our team model and organizing structure through grassroots planning sessions in homes and by videoconference."

Such grassroots efforts were also part of Obama's successful 2008 campaign, which incorporated the internet and social networking to rally new supporters and made strides with the help of their "Yes We Can" slogan.

Numbers show the energy is still there for Obama's 2012 reelection. Applications to work on the president's campaign this time around have already exceeded the numbers at this point in the 2008 campaign.

Obama's re-election campaign is headquartered in One Prudential Plaza in downtown Chicago. In his 2008 campaign for president, Obama hauled in a record breaking $750 million dollars.

The president has the potential to raise up to $1 billion in his bid for re-election.

Filed under: 2012 • President Obama
  1. GI Joe

I hope $ara runs so we can watch the excorism of witches over and over and over AGAIN – they only showed it a few times in 2008.

May 28, 2011 05:27 pm at 5:27 pm |
  2. demogal

Of course Obama will be reelected. He's doing a highly credible job and the Repubs are eating their own.

May 28, 2011 05:34 pm at 5:34 pm |
  3. emperorobama

More empty promises and rhetoric, more continuing of Bush's policies, lies and corruption.

Anyone who would vote for this criminal this time around has the intelligence level of a grub worm.

May 28, 2011 05:36 pm at 5:36 pm |
  4. onceRepublican

I am 65 and have voted republican since reagan but never again. Obama you have my vote. Republicans keep your filthy hands off my medicare!!!

May 28, 2011 05:40 pm at 5:40 pm |
  5. retired one

I am not voting republican this time. My party is bent, as my grandaughter says, on taking my medicare. Not my medicare.

May 28, 2011 05:43 pm at 5:43 pm |
  6. mommytwice

I'm in. Obama '12!!

May 28, 2011 05:50 pm at 5:50 pm |
  7. FRANK FROM LAS VEGAS

@Howard
    I find it interesting that all of your complaints are based on the results of the republican policies of the prior 8 years. There was no way the President could correct all of those policies which have been hurting America in only 2 years and impossible in the last 6 months with a republican house that only votes against the President without regard for the country or it's fine citizens. On top of the republican house we also have the republican senators who block any bill just because it might let the President look good, again without regard for the country. You talk as if the President has unlimited power which of course is not true at all, everything must go through the House and Senate in order to become law or policy. Sometimes I wish the President had such powers, this country would be so much better off if the President policies were allowed to happen. However, as long as there is a republican house and the republicans have enough seats in the Senate to block anything they want this country will continue to struggle through these hard times. If you really are concerned and want our country to succeed, vote Democratic!

May 28, 2011 05:57 pm at 5:57 pm |
  8. Darrell

I am in, totally. I realize that all things were not done as promised, but I am also a realistic. The Republicans used Jobs as an issue to win in 2010...I give them credit on their victory. Since they re-gained the House, they have not produced one idea or piece of legislation that talked about creating jobs...not one. So, for you Obama haters, you can continue to hate, you can continue to blame Obama for all our troubles in the country, you can continue to deny that he was born in this country...but you can not re-write history: GWB and the Republicans drove this country into the ground economically...Republicans, once they re-gain the US House of Reps., have failed to produced the jobs they promised. Hate as you may, and as you will, but the truth will set you free, that if you decided to accept the truth.

May 28, 2011 06:00 pm at 6:00 pm |
  9. Toby Kent

I have no doubts that President Obama will be a two-term president. He is smart,well-educated , a wonderful speaker, and a President that I am always proud of when he is in the U.S. or overseas. The GOP group is so lackluster that it is hard to remember their names. However, the name that is always in our face, I won't mention. I just want her to go away.

May 28, 2011 06:05 pm at 6:05 pm |
  10. priceisright

i'm "fired up" and ready to go. Mr. President you have my undying support. I thank you for your undying love of the United States of America. Yes We Can

May 28, 2011 06:08 pm at 6:08 pm |
  11. GL

I am in. I just signed up.

May 28, 2011 06:10 pm at 6:10 pm |
  12. Kenneth the VI of Minneapolis

Fired up! Ready to Go!.......Obama 2.0

May 28, 2011 06:19 pm at 6:19 pm |
  13. philly fan

Just ask yourself: Are you better off now or in 2008??? I will vote Democratic if they run someone besides OBAMA. HILLARY 2012.

May 28, 2011 06:21 pm at 6:21 pm |
  14. native of chicago

NO OBAMA and don't send him back to Chicago. The thug.

May 28, 2011 06:21 pm at 6:21 pm |
  15. PALINHOPE

It's really great CNN when i make a post to know that you will not post since I have nothing favorable to say about the two above mentioned traitors. No way can we stand another four years of these morons. Please don't let it be so. That would mean he has six more years to completely wipe us out.

May 28, 2011 06:22 pm at 6:22 pm |
  16. Horky

It's truly amazing the number of kool-iad drinkers on here saying, "Obama kept ALL HIS PROMISES." ha ha ha ha

May 28, 2011 06:29 pm at 6:29 pm |
  17. Diana

This man is one of the most gifted statesman the world has seen.
    Every country wished they had their Obama.
    He and Michele did America proud on their latest trip. They are at ease and sophisticated but with a lovely sense of calm humor. They are honorable people.
    O'Bama! The Irish love their great-great-great grandson!

May 28, 2011 06:35 pm at 6:35 pm |
  18. DB

higher gas price - vote obama
    high unemployment - vote obama
    high deficit - vote obama
    high healthcare cost - vote obama
    wealth distribution - vote obama
    cap and trade - vote obama
    lie lie and lie - vote obama

May 28, 2011 06:37 pm at 6:37 pm |
  19. mj

Didn't realize this was a Pro-Obama Comment Only Article. My mistake. CNN – you have shown your bias once again.

May 28, 2011 06:39 pm at 6:39 pm |
  20. DENNA

@ Howard – I'm sure armies of free loaders, and corrupt, former ACORN organizers, are being recruited by the Obama campaign.

Howard, you have GOT to be a Republican. No matter what President Obama does, it is not enough. Did I mention that he also got Osama bin Laden too? Give it up. Unless there is a MAJOR MIRACLE (in Rethug land that is) Barack Obama will be reelected. Personally, he will mop the floor with her. Besides, we need a president who won't get bored and complete his/her complete time in office.

May 28, 2011 06:42 pm at 6:42 pm |
  21. StopGovtBondage

Here is the small sign I have had on my front door for three years now:

An Obama logo with cross thru it and then the following

This Household does NOT Support

Obama or Obama ideology
    Democrat-Progressive-Liberal agenda
    Soros-funded organizations
    Clenched-fisted bullies, threats, hysteria

Please don’t leave your propaganda

May 28, 2011 06:52 pm at 6:52 pm |
  22. James

I get mad at the president Obama sometimes but the truth is that he is a great president. We need a man like him working to fix what George Bush and corporate America has done.

May 28, 2011 06:54 pm at 6:54 pm |
  23. James

I am all for President Obama. My only grip or fear is that we seems like he really wants to grant amnesty to the 20 million illegal aliens in this country.

May 28, 2011 06:56 pm at 6:56 pm |
  24. maikl

I vote for obama and I got? Nothing.This time I go for Romney.Obama naive and have nothing to be president. Just bla -bla -bla.

May 28, 2011 07:02 pm at 7:02 pm |
  25. shells

President Obama has my full support!
    OBAMA 2012!