Obama's 2012 campaign makes moves
May 28th, 2011

Obama's 2012 campaign makes moves

(CNN)– There are 531 days to go until the 2012 presidential election, and a new web video released today by the Obama campaign promises a jump start for a campaign designed to reignite President Obama's backers and build grassroots support.

"In September and October we will see a sea of volunteers come into our offices. We know we have to have an infrastructure in place, an organization in place to properly channel that energy," Obama's Battleground Director Mitch Stewart says in the video.

"What we've learned is that the best way is to have a team up where we empower local volunteers to take leadership roles within our campaign [and] make decisions within our campaign in their neighborhood or in their community based off of the work they have done leading up to the election, but also because of their experience."

"But we have a lot of work to do," Stewart admitted.

A summer organizer program will have supporters going door-to-door, registering voters to build group support within neighborhoods throughout the country, a function that Stewart says will make up the heart and soul of the campaign.

The campaign also plans to make the standard telephone calls, meet with past supporters and prospective new ones individually in a "One-on-One Program."

"The results are a massive army of newly energized volunteers, plus thousands of pages of ideas and feedback that will inform how we shape our organization nationally," Stewart said. "We're going to build it from the ground up. And we're going to use this summer to roll out our team model and organizing structure through grassroots planning sessions in homes and by videoconference."

Such grassroots efforts were also part of Obama's successful 2008 campaign, which incorporated the internet and social networking to rally new supporters and made strides with the help of their "Yes We Can" slogan.

Numbers show the energy is still there for Obama's 2012 reelection. Applications to work on the president's campaign this time around have already exceeded the numbers at this point in the 2008 campaign.

Obama's re-election campaign is headquartered in One Prudential Plaza in downtown Chicago. In his 2008 campaign for president, Obama hauled in a record breaking $750 million dollars.

The president has the potential to raise up to $1 billion in his bid for re-election.

Filed under: 2012 • President Obama
  1. out of work

I want to be a paid blogger

May 28, 2011 07:03 pm at 7:03 pm |
  2. thomas

I'm in !

5 more years !

May 28, 2011 07:05 pm at 7:05 pm |
  3. Jennifer

Fortunately, everyone in my family will be voting for anyone BUT Obama – and that includes all the Democrats in the family.

He's been a disaster.

May 28, 2011 07:15 pm at 7:15 pm |
  4. willard

Im will not trust of presdient obma that im belived his grandmother said that obma was born in keynea why obma make trying fix give to her confused about birth ceriftace

May 28, 2011 07:17 pm at 7:17 pm |
  5. Tired of the nonsense

Obama - intelligent, loves this country, knows what a Constitution is and what it's for, knows history.

The GOP - (only the sound of a cricket chirping is heard)

Obama's got my vote. No way will anyone in the GOP get it since none of them have an I.Q. higher than a #2 pencil, they hate America and the hate Americans.

May 28, 2011 07:20 pm at 7:20 pm |
  6. willard

Im belive his graandmother that she is alright say word to him born in keynea

May 28, 2011 07:21 pm at 7:21 pm |
  7. willard

I think that his grandmother must go to talk with congerssion maybe congress will more hear to her question about birth certiface

May 28, 2011 07:25 pm at 7:25 pm |
  8. Kenny

Republicans and hateful Americans hated that they got beat in the last election by President Obama and they made a vow to cause him to fail. To do that, our nation would have had to fail. They really didn't have to do a lot to cause our country to fail as GWB and the Republican Party drove us to the edge before Obama took office. He came into office with us losing 1 million jobs a month. The US Chamber of Commerce was working as hard as it could to out source American jobs to China and other countries while Republicans in Congress filibustered everything he has tried to accomplish and through all of that he has still managed to get so much done. That's enough for me to vote for him again and if it's not enough the thought of listening to the "Chaulk Board Screechy" voice of Sarah Palin or Michele Bachman as President would be more than enough reason to vote for Obama.

May 28, 2011 07:25 pm at 7:25 pm |
  9. Anonymous

No you can't!! Just because you got Osama doesn't give you anything. You still don't know how to govern a County of real American's. All you know is how to community organize. All you acorn's get out there and campaign. We will overcome!! Ya'll go to bed at night and get up in the morning thinking about BO that's all ya goin get. It takes more than young people to get it done. We have had enough of the theatrics. It Ain't gonna happen

Disgusted

May 28, 2011 07:25 pm at 7:25 pm |
  10. tom

My wife and family are in!!!! Obama/Biden forward Thru 2016!!!!!

May 28, 2011 07:25 pm at 7:25 pm |
  11. beck

Can't wait to get the words out again.

Obama/Biden 2012!!

May 28, 2011 07:25 pm at 7:25 pm |
  12. Anonymous

Ya'll don't know what you talkin about. He ain'tgot my vote. Hasn't done anything that I can see. You ain't see nothing all the old people are fired already. Is that the way you suppose to say it?

May 28, 2011 07:28 pm at 7:28 pm |
  13. Pat in IL

The people who say that Obama has not kept any of his campaign promises are stuck in a groove of nay-saying, and sould very silly and uninformed. Informed people know better. Obama is the first intelligent, caring, truthful president we've had in a long time. I especially appreciate that he researches, weighs the facts and thinks before he acts.

May 28, 2011 07:36 pm at 7:36 pm |
  14. GeminiGirl

I agree with FM: Let's make our upmost effort to stop the half-term former Governor. Let's make her wish she had never left her teeny tiny town in Alaska. You know once she's ensconced in AZ, she'll never get out!! Let's make 2012 a year she never forgets! She belongs back in AK, thousands of miles away, so let's help her get back there....so she's got a spanking brand new bus, planning to show up at a veterans' event in DC. Who invited her? With her bus that probably gets 2 miles to the gallon. And the stupid talking heads on TV, talking like she's a serious candidate. In the words of SNL, oh, REALLY?

May 28, 2011 07:39 pm at 7:39 pm |
  15. conoclast

Obama is sitting pretty. But he does have one purported "ally" he would do well to distance himself from: Ed Schultz.

May 28, 2011 07:44 pm at 7:44 pm |
  16. conoclast

And another thing: Michelle Obama has been an absolutely stunning first lady! I would have voted for her, were she running for anything, based solely on her interview with Larry King!

May 28, 2011 07:49 pm at 7:49 pm |
  17. bill

9% unemployment, $14 trillion dollar deficit, $4.50 a gallon gas, no leadership for the storm ravaged mid-west and throwing Israel under the bus. Great accomplishments.

Nobama2012

May 28, 2011 07:52 pm at 7:52 pm |
  18. Leonore H. Dvorkin

I have a large extended family and lots of friends. With very few exceptions, we are all firmly behind Obama.
    Obama/Biden 2012! I predict that they will win in a landslide.
    - Leonore Dvorkin, Denver, CO

May 28, 2011 07:53 pm at 7:53 pm |
  19. Angela

I think the people are still mobilized. I will do everything I can to help get things moving. I will find out and if I have to bring people to get registered to vote.

May 28, 2011 07:54 pm at 7:54 pm |
  20. NC

I'm Fired Up And Ready to Go. I am Proud to Be a Member of Organizing For America. I started volunteering for President Obama in March 2009 during the primary.
    To: Howard: I am neither corrupt nor a free loader. I am a 61 year old retired Police Officer that served my city for 24 years.

May 28, 2011 07:54 pm at 7:54 pm |
  21. H.A.M 99

Obama will the best President in history,

May 28, 2011 07:58 pm at 7:58 pm |
  22. Nice to Have a Competent President . . .

Let's keep him for another term.

May 28, 2011 08:06 pm at 8:06 pm |
  23. MikeH

While I think Obama is near-infinitely better than any current Republican presidential candiate, I am not happy with some of his failures. 2-3/4 years after the financial collapse and not one indictment of any of the criminals responsible. No one charged for war crimes ("Dick" Cheney) no one charged for treason (Karl Rove and Cheney) no one charged for war profiteering (Grover Norquist, Cheney). Methinks Obama is, like Cornell West has suggested, a puppet of the financial fat cats, or at least held hostage by them.

Assuming he gets re-elected, the best thing he can do for this (his) country is to prosecute the criminals who are trying to turn the US into a corporate dictatorship.

May 28, 2011 08:09 pm at 8:09 pm |
  24. MikeH

Howard, what deep-south trailer park do you hail from? What was the highest elementary school grade you graduated from? I'm guessing 4th or 5th grade.

May 28, 2011 08:14 pm at 8:14 pm |
  25. New Age Independent

"when they are really taxes that should be returned to senior citizens now that they need them." Careful, you sound like a Republican now. you do know that it's the Democrats that have zero plan for Social Security right? They just want it to stay the same, which will be BANKRUPT for my generation and my children.

May 28, 2011 08:15 pm at 8:15 pm |