Daniels: I could've won
May 29th, 2011

Daniels: I could've won

(CNN) – Indiana Gov. Mitch Daniels, who recently decided against a run for president, said he could have beat President Barack Obama in 2012.

"Yes, I think so," Daniels said Sunday on ABC's "This Week," adding, "I mean, no one can know."

Daniels reiterated that his family was the reason behind his ultimate decision not to seek the GOP presidential nomination.

"We've got young women, three of them married not too long," Daniels said, referring to his four daughters. "They're looking forward to building lives, starting families and this was just a disruption that they were very, very leery of, and who wouldn't understand that?"

When asked if those sentiments are a result of the current political environment, Daniels, who served in the administrations of former Presidents George W. Bush and Ronald Reagan, said "If it weren't for the cheap shots and the, you know, personal unfairness that would, that would come with it, there's also just the inevitable loss of privacy, the security, all of that."

– On Monday, June 13, CNN will host the first New Hampshire Republican Presidential Debate, live from Manchester, NH at 8 p.m. ET. Follow all the issues and campaign news leading up to the debate on CNNPolitics.com and @cnnpolitics on Twitter.

Filed under: 2012 • Mitch Daniels • President Obama
  1. Indy

Even republicons do not want to run on the Republican platform of hate, Ryan-Nocare, tax cuts for the wealthy, no jobs for the people, etc.

May 29, 2011 12:38 pm at 12:38 pm |
  2. South Side

Sould've, Could've, Would've....BUT DIDN'T!!!

May 29, 2011 12:43 pm at 12:43 pm |
  3. Freeman

woulda, shoulda, coulda, please!

May 29, 2011 12:57 pm at 12:57 pm |
  4. libryan

And I could have been an all-pro linebacker. Not.

May 29, 2011 12:57 pm at 12:57 pm |
  5. Claudia, Houston, Tx

How about I could have lost to Obama.

May 29, 2011 12:59 pm at 12:59 pm |
  6. todd

Of course he could have won. He got the unemployment turned around in Indiana, and look at all the jobs bills he got going in congress. He, what wait, huh? No jobs bills? Just anti gay legislation?

Yeah. Sure, you could beat Obama. Sure.

He could have won the repub nomination, but I'm setting the bar awfully low, here.

May 29, 2011 01:03 pm at 1:03 pm |
  7. C. Howe Yulikit

Yeah sure ya coulda Mitch. Keep dreaming.

May 29, 2011 01:11 pm at 1:11 pm |
  8. Rosa, b'ham al

I could have won too! Easy to say since the statement won't be tested.

May 29, 2011 01:12 pm at 1:12 pm |
  9. johnmccain

I could have won too but I am not running either.
    What is wrong with these people? When would they man up and say that they won't stand a chance against Obama??? Everyone knows it!
    Also, until one maintains a comb over, it means that the person is not confident with himself... Remember Rudy? He came out from the comb over and he looked better. Not that he BECAME better but he looked more real.

May 29, 2011 01:13 pm at 1:13 pm |
  10. John

What Is It with all you Republican , yes I could have beat him. Well If that was the case than why didn't you ran. That all you Republican do Is LIES. And I'M from Indiana and I don't think you could.But than again that what all you Republican say that are not running ,because you know you really couldn't. And Republican like Saran Palin and Michele Bachmann would lose so bad It going to make you Republican look petty Dumb. Because these two don't stand a chance In hell. people Till reminder what the Republican have done that was back by the Tea Party and the American people Isn't going to let that happen any more.

May 29, 2011 01:13 pm at 1:13 pm |
  11. BostonianTheWoodlandsTX

All I hear is excuses republicans.....................

May 29, 2011 01:18 pm at 1:18 pm |
  12. mk

Hmmmm....I think Mitch has a skeleton in his closet.

May 29, 2011 01:18 pm at 1:18 pm |
  13. Luke

I could have beaten Obama too, but I ain't runnin. Obama is lucky I decided not to run.

May 29, 2011 01:30 pm at 1:30 pm |
  14. Colleen Shariat

coulda woulda shoulda
    wrong time, wrong world, wrong country

May 29, 2011 01:49 pm at 1:49 pm |
  15. tim

How in the world did he come up with that conclusion?? You worked for Bush-Cheyney. No More Tank Jobs in our Country!!!! Get it? He wants Mainstreet Americans and elderly, to pay for GOP Blunders!!! Wow

May 29, 2011 01:51 pm at 1:51 pm |
  16. Michael

Why not show some class and say – "It really doesn't matter, since I am not running"!!

May 29, 2011 02:01 pm at 2:01 pm |
  17. Jeff

Yeah. Right. Chicken.

May 29, 2011 02:25 pm at 2:25 pm |
  18. Tony in Maine

Do you really think he would have said he couldn't beat President Obama? His future in politics would have been zeroed out.

May 29, 2011 02:42 pm at 2:42 pm |
  19. John/kc

Republicans that went on record to kill Medicare will lose big time in the next election. Ask any senior, or the kid the senior would have to move in with if they support killing grandpa and grandma's Medicare. More tax breaks for big oil and businesses that send jobs overseas. How about tariffs on all those cheap imports that cause our manufacturing jobs to be shipped overseas.

May 29, 2011 03:12 pm at 3:12 pm |
  20. Just Me

What kind of nonsense is this? If he think he could have won, why not run? You know why...he did not believe he could win. He is not as dumb as Sarah Palin and know beating Obama would be a tall order, so he decided not to be the Repulican looser for 2012 and save himself the headache, the expense, and the time. God...I wish politicians could just tell the truth sometimes. But that's too much to ask. Lying and being a politician go hand in hand.

May 29, 2011 03:15 pm at 3:15 pm |