Daniels: I could've won
May 29th, 2011

Daniels: I could've won

(CNN) – Indiana Gov. Mitch Daniels, who recently decided against a run for president, said he could have beat President Barack Obama in 2012.

"Yes, I think so," Daniels said Sunday on ABC's "This Week," adding, "I mean, no one can know."

Daniels reiterated that his family was the reason behind his ultimate decision not to seek the GOP presidential nomination.

"We've got young women, three of them married not too long," Daniels said, referring to his four daughters. "They're looking forward to building lives, starting families and this was just a disruption that they were very, very leery of, and who wouldn't understand that?"

When asked if those sentiments are a result of the current political environment, Daniels, who served in the administrations of former Presidents George W. Bush and Ronald Reagan, said "If it weren't for the cheap shots and the, you know, personal unfairness that would, that would come with it, there's also just the inevitable loss of privacy, the security, all of that."

– On Monday, June 13, CNN will host the first New Hampshire Republican Presidential Debate, live from Manchester, NH at 8 p.m. ET. Follow all the issues and campaign news leading up to the debate on CNNPolitics.com and @cnnpolitics on Twitter.

Filed under: 2012 • Mitch Daniels • President Obama
  1. 21k

i coulda' been a contender!

May 29, 2011 11:42 am at 11:42 am |
  2. Ric

The Donald already owned that quote, Mitch. Sorry dude.

May 29, 2011 11:44 am at 11:44 am |
  3. Mike

I could beat Obama too but I'm not going to run either. LMAO!

May 29, 2011 11:48 am at 11:48 am |
  4. Cody

It doesn't matter if you could've won.

May 29, 2011 11:48 am at 11:48 am |
  5. SMH

If I had decided to run for president I know I would win but alas I have decided not run for president in '12.

May 29, 2011 11:49 am at 11:49 am |
  6. Aaron Lear

If you can beat president Obama what stopped you then? Talk is cheap...you chose a short cut knowing you have zero chance of becoming the president of th USA!

May 29, 2011 11:49 am at 11:49 am |
  7. ruty

Talk is sooooooooo cheap. Loser.

May 29, 2011 11:49 am at 11:49 am |
  8. annie s

This man was Bush's budget director, for goodness sakes. That was the baggage that would have kept him from being elected, not his personal life.

May 29, 2011 11:51 am at 11:51 am |
  9. Republicans - "The not Intened to be factually accurate Party"

Sir, now you sound like Trump, the spoiled, rich-kid, blowhard.

You could not have one for 1 simple reason: you were No. 43Ls Budget Director. You set up the economic and fiscal mess that President Obama is fixing.

The killer question for all Republicans is –

1) Do you support tax cuts at a time when we have a record National Debt?

2) Do you honestly believe that income tax cuts, as you supported, lead to lower unemployment and a vibrant economy?

May 29, 2011 11:53 am at 11:53 am |
  10. George

They all say the same thing. I could have won. Liars.

May 29, 2011 11:59 am at 11:59 am |
  11. Jeff Brown in Jersey

Yeah, right!

May 29, 2011 11:59 am at 11:59 am |
  12. vic , nashville ,tn

When Gov. Mitch Daniels said “ I love my country I love my family more” its clear 2012 for Obama that mean Obama 2 term president unbeatable

Gov. Mitch Daniels has more sources than any other candidates tea party support, American cross road and republican establishment etc

We did the calculation you got strong advice you can’t beat Obama so you withdrew

May 29, 2011 12:04 pm at 12:04 pm |
  13. Chuk

I don't think even Daniels believe what he said. If a politician truly believe they can win an office like the presidency, they'd be tripping over themselves to get in. It always looks easier until they get in. The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence. I'm sure he looks perfect to those who 'wish' he got in. Two problems, first: Obama is trying to clean up a lot of the mess left by a Republican. Second: everyone have weaknesses. If he gets in, his would be exposed too. Then it would not be as easy as putting out theories. He probably did the best thing for himself by declining.

May 29, 2011 12:05 pm at 12:05 pm |
  14. Michael

I could have won the presidency but I don't feel like running either.

May 29, 2011 12:08 pm at 12:08 pm |
  15. Michael

Donald Duck or Mickey Mouse could won too, if they decide to run.

May 29, 2011 12:08 pm at 12:08 pm |
  16. GI Joe

Republicans are voting in large numbers AGAINST VETERANS' RIGHTS. That in itself is reason enough to NEVER put them in power again.

They want a bunch of poor men to send to fight their battles. That all they want with a high birth rate among the poor.

May 29, 2011 12:09 pm at 12:09 pm |
  17. frank burns

Well, since he could have won, why run? He is right to simply rest on his laurels.

May 29, 2011 12:09 pm at 12:09 pm |
  18. George Guadiane - Austerlitz, NY

Well, maybe you'll get a chance in 2012 when we will have changed the laws so he can win as often as he gets the votes.

May 29, 2011 12:14 pm at 12:14 pm |
  19. once upon a horse

shoulda, coulda, woulda......be honest what do reporters THINK he was going to say? " I would have LOST??" Some quotes really don't need to be posted.

May 29, 2011 12:18 pm at 12:18 pm |
  20. Kenny

Saying I could have beat Obama is like saying I could have been a millionair too. Sarah Palin had a better chance of beating President Obama than Mitch had. You see, she got out there. While she had about as much chance as a snowball in hell, because she was out there, her chances of beating him were better than your chances sir. I do congratulate you on the brave statement you made concerning loving your country but loving your family more.

May 29, 2011 12:20 pm at 12:20 pm |
  21. d

Is there any better way to show how much of a coward and blowhard you are? "I COULD win, but uh, yeah, I don't want to make it too tough for Obama, so I'm going to sit this one out. But remember, I would have beaten him."

May 29, 2011 12:20 pm at 12:20 pm |
  22. The Clear Thinking Independent

How, exactly would you have won?

Sir, you and every othe Republican Governor, Former Governor [or 1/2 Gov.] like to say that you know how to create jobs. YOU DON`T.

All you know how to do is play a shell game. You steal jobs from one of the other 49 states by offering tax cuts/ incentives to companies alraedy opperating there to relocate to your state. This doesn`t CREATE anything. It does nothing to lower unemployment at the national level. You can`t apply this model to benefit America.

You sir, are a fraud if this is what you`d have us believe.

May 29, 2011 12:25 pm at 12:25 pm |
  23. GI Joe

Would've, should've, could've.

Kinda like If, And, But.

Nonsense.

May 29, 2011 12:25 pm at 12:25 pm |
  24. Danny Spencer

Dude – there is no way you could have won. NOBODY Knows you.

May 29, 2011 12:28 pm at 12:28 pm |
  25. Kevin

Politics requires a huge ego.

May 29, 2011 12:32 pm at 12:32 pm |