Crowds wait and wait and wait for Palin
Sarah Palin rides a motorcycle during the 'Rolling Thunder' Memorial Day event Sunday in Washington on the first day of her 'One Nation' bus tour.
May 30th, 2011

Crowds wait and wait and wait for Palin

Gettysburg, Pennsylvania (CNN) - A crowd of more than 100 waited and waited throughout a hot and humid Memorial Day at one of the Gettysburg battlefield's major monuments hoping Sarah Palin would show up. As evening broke they were still waiting.

The crowd, made up of both tourists and local citizens, had different reasons for showing up - some wanted to urge her to run for president, others just wanted a glimpse.

Temperatures were well into the 90s throughout the day as they waited.

Some of them said they understood why she could not provide more details of when and where she was stopping because she might run late and because of security concerns.

One woman drove three hours and got to the Pennsylvania monument at 11 a.m. She was still there as of 5 p.m.

"In for a penny, in for a pound," she told CNN.

Gettysburg resident Brigid Goode got to the park at noon.

"I wanted to see if she was running, see if she would make the announcement," she told CNN.

Goode said she had been following Palin's bus trip on her website.

Her friend Pam Spicnall said, "If we were the last standing we'll be here to support her."

Mark Allen sported a hat urging Palin to run for president. "We know she is going to be here on a family vacation," he said, adding he was excited at the prospect of her mounting a presidential campaign.

There were also several television crews and satellite trucks, including one from CNN, waiting for a possible Palin appearance. Some of those waiting said they were there because they saw the media.

–Follow Jim Acosta on Twitter: @jimacostacnn

–Follow Kevin Bohn on Twitter: @KevinBohnCNN

Filed under: 2012 • Sarah Palin
  1. sick of republican phonies

100 nitwits waiting in the sun for someone that didn't show up...this is a news story?

May 30, 2011 07:00 pm at 7:00 pm |
  2. maine liberal

"Crowds wait and wait and wait for Palin" i dont see the complaints from Palin over this media spin.
    A crowd of more than 100 waited ....

The lastest poll spin .. Palin tops poll at 15 percent .... LOL if thats the top than the bottom 85 percent is deep

May 30, 2011 07:06 pm at 7:06 pm |
  3. Four and The Door

One thing I look forward to if Sarah Palin decides to run is the pounding she would give Obama in their debates. She doesn't need 6 weeks and a room full of political advisors to tell her what her values are or how things should be done. She is sharp and knows the right answers. Strong values play much better in front of an audience than lawyerspeak, backpeddling and excuses.

May 30, 2011 07:07 pm at 7:07 pm |
  4. GI Joe

WOW. A whole one hundred that will probably vote for her.

Yep - she's a shoo-in.

May 30, 2011 07:10 pm at 7:10 pm |
  5. R.E.W.

"There were also several television crews and satellite trucks, including one from CNN, waiting for a possible Palin appearance. "

I'd be ashamed to admit that. Ya'll must have more money than common sense.

May 30, 2011 07:10 pm at 7:10 pm |
  6. Clay

Crowd? 100 people? CNN you have lost your minds! 100 people? I just went to the grocery store and there were probably 500 people at 5PM on Memorial Day. Put Justin Beiber out there...or just start a rumor he will be there and you will have 10,000 people! Are you being paid by Sarahpac for your coverage.

May 30, 2011 07:13 pm at 7:13 pm |
  7. Sam

This is an omen. Be prepare minions, your queen will hold your lease tightly.

May 30, 2011 07:19 pm at 7:19 pm |
  8. L.Stewart

Enough with Sarah Palin! I'm sick of her. She's a big idiot; if she becomes president, this country is really pathetic. Anyway, I thought we were supposed to be covering the military on Memorial Day.

May 30, 2011 07:19 pm at 7:19 pm |
  9. voice of reason

Republicans are only putting her in the spotlight so she can run in the next election, not this one. The fact that she has supporters is very disturbing because she's incompetent enough to win. Hopefully Americans will not fall for this.

May 30, 2011 07:20 pm at 7:20 pm |
  10. Dustie

I believe that Sarah Palin has made it clear that she is not on a "campaign schedule" and is indeed focusing on meeting Americans and highlighting the wonderful things about America. I am pretty sure that she would not deliberately ignore those who came out to see her, but this article has a critical, harsh tone-which is what I expect now from biased CNN and too many of the mainstream media sources these days. The language of the article is far from objective; it's biased and critical. It would be nice if the tone from the mainstream media were civil and courteous, the way that it should be. I don't know that I am a Palin supporter, but I sure know that I am sick of biased articles such as this one.

May 30, 2011 07:27 pm at 7:27 pm |
  11. Dave

Wow...history does repeat itself. Gettysburg was the site of a major battle and massacre, and my guess is that her presidential bid may suffer the same fate.

May 30, 2011 07:28 pm at 7:28 pm |
  12. wonderabout

About 100 eh?.... wow, maybe it wasn't a big deal after all for her, I mean only 100? Not enough for her to care! Typical Palin- sorry for the sheeple who waited in the sun all day – but wise up folks she's a no-show, no-brained, fluffy-duff of no substance. And she ditched you guys for a bigger crowd! And God forbid she would EVER get elected pres- make sure there's a viable VP – cause she's likely to bail as soon as someone from the lame-stream media ask a question about anything important that she should know.... sad, very sad.

May 30, 2011 07:29 pm at 7:29 pm |
  13. rhumba

Another Palin story where nothing happens. Come on. If you don't have anything to report, don't attempt to write a story. This is the third one today that contains no information whatsoever. Here you are waiting and nobody shows. That's just not a story.

May 30, 2011 07:31 pm at 7:31 pm |
  14. OneMoreTime

This is the most disgusting display of ignorance and hubris I have ever seen, from anybody, including Trump.
    When you lovers of garbage can tell me this witch has celebrated many Memorial Days, has done actual
    volunteer work, (and I don't mean throwing a few boxes of food in northern Alaska and photo-ops in Haiti with
    that dork Graham), when you can tell me a time she has had true compassion for anybody or anything at any
    time, when you can tell me she has solutions and not just hateful rhetoric, when she goes to Church and
    where, or anytime, in general, she has been a decent human being, how many carnations did she lay at
    any tomb of any military person while cavorting around in her obnoxious bus, or how many flags did she lay
    at any graves, how much PAC money has gone into this family vacation, and who the hell thinks she has
    earned it? Never, and now you know why my dislike for her is so strong. You can have this fraud, I have
    truly had enough. Today did me in, for sure.

May 30, 2011 07:39 pm at 7:39 pm |
  15. AmFem

Wow! A hundred people!?!?! Well, I don't know about you... But, I'm impressed.

May 30, 2011 07:40 pm at 7:40 pm |
  16. Bill

Did Sarah say she would be there or do people just stand around in various locations waiting for her to appear? The story doesn't address this.

May 30, 2011 07:41 pm at 7:41 pm |
  17. Snow

I love it, Sarah is still driving the liberals and the lame brained liberal media crazy because she will not tell them what her plans are and it is putting knots in all liberals panties. Gotta love it.

May 30, 2011 07:42 pm at 7:42 pm |
  18. Papasan

The rest of Sarah Palin's Gettysburg Address

I want to look at the big picture here. We cannot, we can not, we can’t lie to ourselves when some people think there is no such thing as “truth.” All they know is fact, and the world will little note facts as they evolve, even when evolution is nothing but a theory, which is a fact. I don’t settle for facts. Facts are too small, and in this great country, especially in the wide open spaces of Alaska, my former home state which I left the second I could, from which I can see whole other continents with my vision, I demand the right to lead in whatever way serves me with my truth. It is not for them to tell me what is fact. It is rather for me, Sarah, to be dedicated to a new birth of freedom to say what truth is, and to sell it in books, magazines, op-eds, DVDs, and my new news program, “Sarah Says,” on Fox, for which Mr. Murdoch has given me the best measure of devotion—a whopping contract—and for me, Sarah, to pop out a new birth of freedom to my career in giving this nation, under God, all Sarah, all the time, by me, for me, five nights a week. Sponsored by the good people at Exxon Mobil.

May 30, 2011 07:47 pm at 7:47 pm |
  19. Bill

A "crowd" of 100? Wow! In a country of 330 million, 100 people wanted to see Wasilla Barbie at Gettysburg? I guess John McCain is right; she could beat President Obama. After all, he has never attracted a "crowd" so large ...

May 30, 2011 07:52 pm at 7:52 pm |
  20. John

I wouldn't wait one Min for that dumb woman. Saran Palin Is the Most UNQUALIFIED person to run for President. They can't be that many Idiot In America that wish she would run for President. I do wish that she run away and never come back. Look you people all ready make her rich Isn't that enough.

May 30, 2011 07:54 pm at 7:54 pm |
  21. Aaron

100 people waited for Palin? That's news? More people than that turn out for a Star Wars movie premiere. CNN reallly should evaluate what it considers news. Palin only wants Fox with her since they only report on her favorably. All other news outlets should oblige her and quit reporting anything about her.

May 30, 2011 07:54 pm at 7:54 pm |
  22. Ken

She probably bailed when she realized her adoring supporters failed to show and she would have to answer embarrassing questions about their absence.

May 30, 2011 07:57 pm at 7:57 pm |
  23. Laurie

She is winning a manipulative game with the media AGAIN! I don't care where she is. Don't worry she is lining her pockets somewhere.

May 30, 2011 07:57 pm at 7:57 pm |
  24. David

People need to get a life if they want to see or meet her. People need to get a brain if they think she would be good as a President.

May 30, 2011 07:59 pm at 7:59 pm |
  25. 21k

maybe she got raptured. woo-hoo!

May 30, 2011 08:02 pm at 8:02 pm |