Alaska government to release Palin emails
June 1st, 2011

Alaska government to release Palin emails

(CNN) - The Alaska governor’s office is set to release more than 24,000 pages of records relating to Sarah Palin’s term as governor. Requests from media organizations for the documents stem as far back as the 2008 campaign.

Members of the media, including CNN, were informed Tuesday evening in an email from the governor’s office that the release would occur soon. The notification said some of the documents will be redacted and others will be withheld due to several legal privileges that are permissible under the state’s disclosure law, including attorney-client and some executive deliberations.

What will be made public are Palin’s emails dealing with state business—using both her official account as well as private accounts. After the media and others made freedom of information requests in 2008, a search was done “in an effort to capture everything in the state email system” that would comply with the request, Linda Perez, the administrative director for current Gov. Sean Parnell said. Then lawyers within the state Department of Law recommended what should be released and what should be withheld under state requirements, and the final decision was made by the governor’s offce, Perez said.

She said 2,275 pages are not being released.

The original requests for these papers came in 2008 shortly-after Palin was tapped to be Sen. John McCain’s running mate, and there was intense interest in her governorship, including several controversies related to her tenure.

Because of the volume of records and the number of copies that need to be made, the governor’s office hopes the documents will be released by next week.

Filed under: Alaska • Sarah Palin
  1. Bruce

Redacted?...what information could a governor of Alaska possibly have that could be worth keeping secret? Ah...Unless there is some dirt they don't want us to get a hold of!?!?!

June 1, 2011 11:52 am at 11:52 am |
  2. Scotty

Anyone that strikes this much fear in the left has got to be doing something right. I can't wait to see how this all plays out.

June 1, 2011 11:53 am at 11:53 am |
  3. Dominican mama 4 Obama

What, it took them 3 plus years to clean them up before releasing them lest they'd have to prosecute her for real?

June 1, 2011 11:53 am at 11:53 am |
  4. Gordon Skead

I I am wondering out loud how much money Sarah Palin made since the last election being a close to never had a chance candidate and how much she thinks she will make having the same claim to fame this time around.

June 1, 2011 11:56 am at 11:56 am |
  5. deebee

After 3 years of redactions, don't expect to learn much.

June 1, 2011 11:59 am at 11:59 am |
  6. Dominican mama 4 Obama

-------------------------------------------------–
    24,000 pieces of e-mail, something "typical Sarah" is bound to have been overlooked by the "censors', and it will help to put the finishing nails on her irrelevant, and absurd political future.

Obama 2012.

June 1, 2011 11:59 am at 11:59 am |
  7. mj

The Obama-Lover Media is trying to do everything and anything to slander Sarah. On the other hand, they do everything possible to protect Obama. Nothing more than absolute bias reporting with complete absence of fairness.

June 1, 2011 12:03 pm at 12:03 pm |
  8. GI Joe

I've kept up on ADN and the person redacting the emails was appointed BY HER WHEN SHE WAS GOV. Something is rotten, but then we all have known that for almost 3 years. A self-centered, money-hungry thug - that's all she is. AND SHE SCREECHES.

June 1, 2011 12:03 pm at 12:03 pm |
  9. Minnesota woman

Ooooh there's probably lots of high security information in those emails, what with her proximity to Russia and all.

June 1, 2011 12:05 pm at 12:05 pm |
  10. Anonymous

Why wasn't the Palin's indited over lucrative contracts in regards to natural gas pipeline ?

June 1, 2011 12:06 pm at 12:06 pm |
  11. TPF

They said that they would be released at the end of March at the latest. I guess they had to figure out a way to get rid of them legally or not.

June 1, 2011 12:07 pm at 12:07 pm |
  12. Jake

Hey Scotty! Fear? Yes, ALOT OF FEAR! our country is still reeling from eight years of Bush, and all of this buzz about a bigger idiot getting close to the White House!? yes, FEAR! ALOT OF FEAR! for the world!

June 1, 2011 12:09 pm at 12:09 pm |
  13. Rudy NYC

I recall there were the issues associated with personal email accounts being used for state business, other emails related to her troopergate scandal, and still others that possibly showed her husband, Todd,as acting more than just a hubby/advisor.

June 1, 2011 12:10 pm at 12:10 pm |
  14. Martha in CF

I wonder what Palin would do if the press would stop following her? She would probably curl up in the fetal position!!!!!!! It makes me sick the publicity she is getting and for what? What did you news media people learn in college? Palin is NOT newsworthy...........................

June 1, 2011 12:12 pm at 12:12 pm |
  15. shoegazer

"24,000 pages"....in her time as governor? She must have been at the computer more than Bill Gates.You can bet there will be some juicy bits that will be withheld.Oh well, at least when reading them,you don't have to endure that shrill,fingernail on a blackboard voice of hers.

June 1, 2011 12:15 pm at 12:15 pm |
  16. Realistic

Quitter Palins emails will probably show nothing because anything worth while reading will not be allowed to be shown. But I bet many of her emails are run on sentences, fragments and incomplete thoughts. The emails should be dizzying to decipher and really hard to comprehend.

I hope she runs…President Obama than can spend about $10 million and win by a landslide.

June 1, 2011 12:16 pm at 12:16 pm |
  17. Sniffit

Any documents withheld should be identified in a privilege log made publicly available. Their substance shoudl be described therein but not revealed unless ordered by a court. Moreover, they should have to produce a written reason or objection stating their justification for redacting any material in documents that actually are produced. Take them to task.

June 1, 2011 12:16 pm at 12:16 pm |
  18. sue

Wonder how much of the emails they edited or cleaned up or distroyed....they have had plenty of time to try to pull the wool over the rest of America.......that's probably why Palin quit so she could make money selling books, reality show, a job on FOX so she could pay off the Alaska Govenor to make all the emails look good.......just maybe they will show how inadequate she was as a Govenor.....and how she broke the laws of her own State......

June 1, 2011 12:17 pm at 12:17 pm |
  19. juliei4

Palin needs to do this tour before the new book from her aide and the movie Game Change hits the tube. It will be all downhill from there. She wants to set up speaking engagements at higher fees before the you know what hits the fan.

June 1, 2011 12:20 pm at 12:20 pm |
  20. Al-NY,NY

"Those were fabricated""I didn't do that""the media hates me".....I can't wait

June 1, 2011 12:20 pm at 12:20 pm |
  21. FM

We all get what we ask for! Sarah was not clever enough to take a low profile after she quited her job. Instead she wanted to be on the lime light and whatever follows, she deserves it.

June 1, 2011 12:23 pm at 12:23 pm |
  22. Papasan

The rest of Sarah Palin's Gettysburg Address

I want to look at the big picture here. We cannot, we can not, we can’t lie to ourselves when some people think there is no such thing as “truth.” All they know is fact, and the world will little note facts as they evolve, even when evolution is nothing but a theory, which is a fact. I don’t settle for facts. Facts are too small, and in this great country, especially in the wide open spaces of Alaska, my former home state which I left the second I could, from which I can see whole other continents with my vision, I demand the right to lead in whatever way serves me with my truth. It is not for them to tell me what is fact. It is rather for me, Sarah, to be dedicated to a new birth of freedom to say what truth is, and to sell it in books, magazines, op-eds, DVDs, and my new news program, “Sarah Says,” on Fox, for which Mr. Murdoch has given me the best measure of devotion—a whopping contract—and for me, Sarah, to pop out a new birth of freedom to my career in giving this nation, under God, all Sarah, all the time, by me, for me, five nights a week. Sponsored by the good people at Exxon Mobil.

June 1, 2011 12:24 pm at 12:24 pm |
  23. Aaron

You can sure that anything derogatory to Palin will be redacted. She did the emails while on state salary and using state equipment, however her minions still in the state think along the same lines as her....it's their own property, not the taxpayers' property.

June 1, 2011 12:25 pm at 12:25 pm |
  24. TheOneIndependent

She has no intention of running, with the SarahPac she can get solicit contributions and does not have to reveal who gave it to her or what she does with it until she announces her candicy. She will continue to get donations from the Tea drinkers until the last minute and announce she's not going to run. She can continue to rip off her own followers to the very end. Amazing that people can be so stupid concerning a person that is even more stupid.

June 1, 2011 12:26 pm at 12:26 pm |
  25. TPF

Her glasses are so out of style now. Come on Sarah get with it, they don't make you look smarter, but someone must have told you that they do.

June 1, 2011 12:29 pm at 12:29 pm |