Ron Paul's big cash goal
June 5th, 2011

Ron Paul's big cash goal

Washington (CNN) – Republican presidential candidate Ron Paul is using his "money bomb" campaign tactic Sunday, aimed at raising $2 million in one day.

The technique helped him raise millions during the last presidential election and he made a similar push in May. This round is billed as "The Revolution vs. Romneycare," criticizing the health care law Romney signed while governor of Massachusetts that bears resemblance to the national law.

"The truth is, our supporters have shocked the political establishment before! And honestly, we don't need 10 million dollars to match Mitt Romney," a letter to supporters read, referencing Romney's one-day fund-raising total last month. "After all, Congressman Paul doesn't have to defend a liberal record as governor of Massachusetts!"

Supporters may contribute up to $2,500 through his website, where a large graphic tracks the donations in real time.

During an interview Sunday on CNN's "State of the Union," Paul, an avid defender of fiscal conservatism, said he is optimistic about his chances in 2012 because of the country's direction.

"You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy," Paul said referencing his 2008 White House bid. "No more. No more. The people are coming over here. So, I would say whatever happens is going to be good because the people have woke up."

The 11-term congressman said the current GOP presidential contenders are changing their positions based on political pressure, something to which he is immune.

"They're going to modify their position but they represent the status quo and this is what excites so many people now," Paul told CNN Chief Political Correspondent Candy Crowley. "They're sick of the status quo."

– On Monday, June 13, CNN will host the first New Hampshire Republican Presidential Debate, live from Manchester, NH at 8 p.m. ET. Follow all the issues and campaign news leading up to the debate on CNNPolitics.com and @cnnpolitics on Twitter.

Watch State of the Union with Candy Crowley Sundays at 9am ET. For the latest from State of the Union click here.

Filed under: 2012 • Ron Paul • TV-State of the Union
  1. Four And The Door

Ron Paul is terrible.

June 5, 2011 04:12 pm at 4:12 pm |
  2. Eric

Ron Paul you are the man and you are always right. I just sent $100 your way.

June 5, 2011 04:22 pm at 4:22 pm |
  3. gabby

Go Ron! Keep telling it like it is.

June 5, 2011 04:22 pm at 4:22 pm |
  4. John

He at lease the best Republican I heard that make any since. I may even vote for him ,but i want to hear more of what he stand for on other thing. If he say the right thing and Is telling the Truth, He may have me coming back and voting Republican again.

June 5, 2011 04:24 pm at 4:24 pm |
  5. Claudia, Houston, Tx

Ron Paul use to be a likeable guy until he taught that son, Rand Paul, to use the race card to win Kentucky. Let him try that race card trick to further his agenda, all of America isn't just the state of Kentucky and we will never forget.

June 5, 2011 04:25 pm at 4:25 pm |
  6. G2

The money bomb tactic is not Ron Paul's. It was a grassroots idea for fundraising because mainstream media outlets such as CNN were ignoring all things Ron Paul during his 2008 run, similar to what is happening with the media blackout of former New Mexico Governor Gary Johnson currently.

June 5, 2011 04:28 pm at 4:28 pm |
  7. vic , nashville ,tn

he did before yes he can

June 5, 2011 04:29 pm at 4:29 pm |
  8. Adam4liberty

Go Ron Go!

"In time it will become clear to everyone that support for the policies of pre-emptive war and interventionist nation-building will have much greater significance than the removal of Saddam Hussein itself."

June 5, 2011 04:36 pm at 4:36 pm |
  9. AJ187

Wow, great argument Four And The Door. Well substantiated. NOT! And there's no truth to Rand Paul using the race card unless you think politicians should not hold controversial opinions on civil liberties.

June 5, 2011 04:46 pm at 4:46 pm |
  10. scout

I love that YOU are the only ONE running for president that truly loves America. Thank you Ron Paul for appealing to my intellect and not cheap-one liners that are empty promises. I just donated and probably will donate again tonight, west coast time. Keep fighting the Good fight, "not all super-heroes wear capes".

June 5, 2011 04:46 pm at 4:46 pm |
  11. Brian

"The truth is, our supporters have shocked the political establishment before! "

Really Ron? When was that? How did it turn out for you?

June 5, 2011 04:50 pm at 4:50 pm |
  12. Jen79

Ron Paul will save our country! Can't wait for the NH debate.

June 5, 2011 04:53 pm at 4:53 pm |
  13. Matt

Ron Paul is the only 2012 candidate (including Obomba) who opposes the USA Patriot Act. I'm a lifelong Democrat, but cannot support Obomba this time. GO RON PAUL 2012 ..... I JUST GAVE $500

June 5, 2011 04:57 pm at 4:57 pm |
  14. Nick

RON PAUL FOR PRESIDENT!

Everyone- register Republican and VOTE for him in the primary! I know, I hate the Republican field too but it's the only way will stop another neo-con from winning to nomination!

It will be a wonderful day for the WORLD when Ron Paul is President of the United States. Bring our troops home! Fix our economy! And lower our debt! VOTE RON PAUL- Primaries and Election 2012!

June 5, 2011 05:03 pm at 5:03 pm |
  15. GI Joe

The repubs want a government big enough to watch each uterus in the U.S. But small enough not to collect taxes for roads, firemen, police, teachers, etc.

I say we start by cutting Congressional pay by 50% and see how that works (Congressional = Senate and House of Representatives). AND, let them buy their own healthcare on the open market - the way they want seniors to do. It's only fair. Test it on them for 18 months and see how well it works. Just saying ...........

June 5, 2011 05:06 pm at 5:06 pm |
  16. James

Evidently, Brian missed the 2010 elections when the tea party supporters swept a new generation and type of Republicans in the Congress. The Tea Party was an off shoot of the Ron Paul 2008 campaign. Perhaps it's current leaders and the whole message now are not exactly what we desired when forming the thing, but at least the message of fiscal responsibility that Ron Paul was standing for is being preached and people are listening. That should definitely be shocking to the establishment. That, and the fact that he has shown previously (remember the single-day $6 million money bomb in 2008?) that his followers are more than willing to donate our hard-earned money to the campaign of a genuine person, speaking the truth, who is not looking solely to get elected above all else.

June 5, 2011 05:06 pm at 5:06 pm |
  17. once upon a horse

looks like many fools and their money are being parted. Some say third time is a charm..I would rather stick with 3 strikes and you're OUT!

June 5, 2011 05:08 pm at 5:08 pm |
  18. Dan

I voted for Obama in '08 but have since educated myself and will vote for RON PAUL in 2012!

June 5, 2011 05:13 pm at 5:13 pm |
  19. lynn

His time has come and gone. He's older than I am by 2 yrs, and I know there's no way a man 77 yrs. old can handle the complexities of the White House. He may have had good ideas back in the day, but rationally he has no clue on the world today.

June 5, 2011 05:13 pm at 5:13 pm |
  20. JK

The two million is just where the ticker ends. The money bombs will likely be less until the campaign is in full swing, but they want the money sooner this election, so the grass roots is having more, smaller money bombs.

June 5, 2011 05:16 pm at 5:16 pm |
  21. Ben

Four And The Door – Why do you say terrible. For me Ron Paul is a man of honor and integrity. He railed against the dangers of Fannie and Freddie a decade ago and went into prescient detail of what the fallout would be. He supports organic food rights and the ending of prosecution for some drug use. I could go on....what's not to love?

June 5, 2011 05:23 pm at 5:23 pm |
  22. Lost in Texas FOREVER

Ron Paul has about as much of a chance to get the GOP nomination as I do..so I fell to see why folks are sending this guy money. Maybe it's another sign of the economy improving. Besides he's from Texas and nothing good politcal seems to come out of this state since Ann Richards, and YES I live here and I know it.

June 5, 2011 05:26 pm at 5:26 pm |
  23. w l jones

If these fundraiser continue take one million out of the economic every day by week one the economic would have lost forty nine million dallar of economic activity that could have created a lot of job. I am conservative but not at the hand of my fellow American the ability to feed there family.Bless.

June 5, 2011 05:32 pm at 5:32 pm |
  24. MM88

Nice to see some coverage from CNN for the 5th June moneybomb. As a Swede,Ive been watching the initial stages of the GOP primaries with great interest.I fear that if Paul doesnt get the GOP nomination and subsequently elected as a president, we will in the near future see a real financial double dip and a bigger economic fallout then in 08. He is basically the only one that understand that the US and the Fed cant monetize more debt out of the recession. The Romneys and Obamas of the world dont or wont understand the damage the FED has been doing the last few years. The US are beginning to see higher inflation, and the jobs recovery is not much worth to talk about.

He will need as much financial support for the campaign, the last time around he got money a little too late, this time around you americans can change that!.

June 5, 2011 05:33 pm at 5:33 pm |
  25. maxdenn

Ron Paul will not receive any money from me. Much less; my vote.

June 5, 2011 05:38 pm at 5:38 pm |