Democrats turn up pressure on Weiner, rally behind ethics probe
June 6th, 2011

Democrats turn up pressure on Weiner, rally behind ethics probe

Washington (CNN)– Democratic leaders took the initiative Monday to go after one of their own, U.S. Rep. Anthony Weiner, hours after he admitted to lying about posting an explicit photo on his Twitter account and carrying on inappropriate relationships with women he'd met online.

Two Democratic sources said that Weiner, in a brief telephone conversation Monday with House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi, made it abundantly clear that he was not going to resign. At his press conference later that day, the New York Democrat said that Pelosi was "not happy" but "also told me that she loved me and wanted us to ... pull through this."

FULL STORY

Filed under: Anthony Weiner • Nancy Pelosi
  1. Jhistory

He should resign immediately with no questions asked. It is not like the Democrats are going to lose a seat in the House of Reps because Weiner's district is so blue that its ridiculous. A rising star in the Democratic party and for the progressive movement has dimmed!

June 6, 2011 06:09 pm at 6:09 pm |
  2. jerome

Ain't that the pot calling the kettle black!

June 6, 2011 06:27 pm at 6:27 pm |
  3. KimberlyT

He needs to resign. Nobody will ever trust him or look at him the same way again after this.

June 6, 2011 06:28 pm at 6:28 pm |
  4. KingTut

Unfortunately, Congressman Weiner has disgraced his office and his family. He needs to step-down immediately for the good of his constituents, whom he lied to.

June 6, 2011 06:29 pm at 6:29 pm |
  5. Republican Robber Baron

Not as bad as Ensign's cover-up but very unprofessional & juvenile. Personally – I think use of Facebook & Twitter don't mix with business and have no place in politics. Social media should not be used by Govt or Businesses period. It's all a bunch of hype and B.S. used by teenagers.

June 6, 2011 06:30 pm at 6:30 pm |
  6. mike

they are wicked and in the end they will and do eat their own

June 6, 2011 06:34 pm at 6:34 pm |
  7. you know who

I wish you guys would start putting all your efforts in finding jobs for the american people. You talk about everything but that. Weiner will do just fine over time, just ask that republican senator down in New Orleans, that David guy.

June 6, 2011 06:35 pm at 6:35 pm |
  8. S. In California / Obama 2012

Personally, I am more concerned about his pathological lying than his actions. I cannot understand for the life of me why he chose to discuss his private life with his wife. This is way out of line on his behalf. I would not blame his wife for divorcing him. No man who REALLY calls himself a man would discuss his marital relations with his wife. While I would not vote for any republican – I think this man is a fruit cake and needs to resign. I would love to know who his attorney is. No attorney could have possibly advised his client to take any and all questions on a podium in that manner. This was too unbelievable to watch.

June 6, 2011 06:48 pm at 6:48 pm |
  9. FAITHFUL

Nancy Pelosi need to make sure her democrats doesn't give in to the Paul Ryan plan with that debt ceiling. The republicans do everything to throw you of the tract of jobs, and you fall for it everytime. When "2012" comes and they win because of the job thing, just remember I told you so.

June 6, 2011 06:57 pm at 6:57 pm |
  10. someone

Seriously people?!? I mean a lot of men do this now days, why should he have to apologize to the public!!! He should only have to apologize to his wife!!! If I caught my husband doing this personally I would leave him, but really just a little FYI nobody is perfect people including people in a public office!!!

June 6, 2011 06:57 pm at 6:57 pm |
  11. obama is useless

tweets on govt accout with a weanier, so look who obama supports a chavist pig

June 6, 2011 07:04 pm at 7:04 pm |
  12. Sniffit

That being said. Let's get back to the GOP trying to destroy Medicare and issues that actually have import instead of letting this nonsense become a weapon of mass distraction. This dude crewed up and either sinks or swims...whatever. It changes nothing about the fact that he's been substantively correct in his criticisms of the GOP, its strategery, its games, its tactics, its proposals, its ideology, etc.

June 6, 2011 07:15 pm at 7:15 pm |
  13. Marie MD

Give credit to his wife for not standing behind him.

June 6, 2011 07:17 pm at 7:17 pm |
  14. Doris Trentham

I am a citizen that holds our government officials to a higher standard of examples. I DEMAND his resignation! He lied! He violated any higher standard of office that he holds publically. Our elected government officials should be the example.This arrogant Congressman should be forced to resign! Take a stand and force his resignation, he should not get a free pass. Many others before him have not received a free pass, nor should he.

June 6, 2011 07:36 pm at 7:36 pm |
  15. Wise1Speak

The lies and cover-up are usually worse than the original act.

June 6, 2011 08:10 pm at 8:10 pm |
  16. Kneeslap

Weiner being probed. This doesnt sound good, I wonder if this measure is warrented!

June 6, 2011 08:21 pm at 8:21 pm |
  17. Frank - Columbus

Time to go!

June 6, 2011 08:26 pm at 8:26 pm |
  18. Kneeslap

Can Weiner hold back under presure?

June 6, 2011 08:26 pm at 8:26 pm |
  19. The TRUTH

Sniffling,crying,not so big now typical politician he's in the wrong business he should be in comedy!!! he had me laughing my ass off he had me in tears...

June 6, 2011 09:44 pm at 9:44 pm |
  20. Renee

It is time ot step down.

June 6, 2011 10:52 pm at 10:52 pm |
  21. SKS

Weiner Must Resign.

June 6, 2011 11:05 pm at 11:05 pm |
  22. Anthony... proud tax payer

Democrat or Republican.. kick him the hell out of office. We elect people based on their word, and a promise they make to us. If he'll lie and cheat on his wife, he'll lie and cheat to the public.

June 7, 2011 12:21 am at 12:21 am |
  23. Dan J

I love that there were so many liberals defending him, saying he told the truth, defended the fact that he hired a lawyer and didn't contact the police, etc. Then as it became clearer he did it, some people still believed his denial, and others dismissed it as not a big deal. Some of you guys, looking at the facts, were so blinded by party loyalty, threw sheer logic and your own dignity out the window and stood by Weiner.

It happens on both sides. You guys need to wake up and think for yourselves. People on both sides that go straight down party ideals and vote strictly based on party affiliation are brainwashed tools.

June 7, 2011 12:32 am at 12:32 am |
  24. Auntie Depressant

What I can't figure out is why don't these cheaters just tell the truth in the first place?

June 7, 2011 01:41 am at 1:41 am |
  25. cindy

You know, someday maybe politicians will learn that we understand making mistakes. We are all human. We hold our leaders...those we vote to speak for us to be on their best behaviour. Despite my disappointment in Mr Weiner I think he can learn from this and do bigger and better things. Hang in there!!! I pray all works out for him personally and professionally.

June 7, 2011 01:43 am at 1:43 am |