Palin film to be shown at theatres across the nation
June 10th, 2011

Palin film to be shown at theatres across the nation

Washington (CNN) - A documentary film lauding the career of former Alaska governor Sarah Palin is set to be shown at AMC theatres across the nation, the project's producers announced Friday.

"The Undefeated," which traces Palin's political rise and paints her as the outsider who stood up against the establishment, is set to premiere later this month in Iowa and is also expected to have early showings in New Hampshire and South Carolina - all key early voting states.

Steve Bannon, who directed and produced the documentary, said Palin and her advisers had no editorial control over the project. He took on the project after two of her key advisers approached him last year about making a video promoting some of her accomplishments that could be placed on YouTube. Instead Bannon, who has done films about Ronald Reagan and the Tea Party movement, suggested a full-length documentary. He said he would finance it but needed the Palin team's cooperation to get interviews with some of her some former aides and supporters.

After the private premieres, the film will play at AMC Theatres beginning July 15th at 10 locations across the nation: Dallas, Denver, Oklahoma City, Orlando, Atlanta, Phoenix, Houston, Indianapolis, Orange County, California and Kansas City.

"After screening 'The Undefeated,' we took the unusual step of immediately exploring an expedited theatrical release, something we normally wouldn't do during the busy summer months," Trevor Drinkwater, CEO of ARC Entertainment, which is handling the distribution, said in a statement Friday.

Those helping to distribute the movie said they believe Palin's strong following throughout the country will result in strong box office attendance. If there is more interest, those involved said it could be shown at other locations.

The documentary, which includes family home movies and photographs never seen by the public before, does not have an interview with Palin. Instead, it uses old news footage to trace her political accomplishments. Bannon licensed the audio version of her book "Going Rogue" and used some of that to provide narration.

However, there are no interviews with critics, and it does not include any details some of the controversies during her short term as governor - such as what role she may have had in the firing of her ex-brother-in-law as a state trooper.

"I did not think it was essential," Bannon said. He did include some material about the ethics complaints lodged against Palin, including the financial costs to her.

After a screening for reporters, Bannon said there have been so many negative stories about Pailn put out by the media that he wanted to bring a different vision of her.

"It is a story that has never been told," Bannon said. "I am trying to balance the scales of justice."

Bannon credits Palin as a key force of populism that helped spur the Tea Party movement, which also gets a lot of praise in the film. Bannon, who began work on the project in December and wanted to keep its existence secret, said he hopes Palin does run for the Republican presidential nomination.

"Her voice is really important," he said. "We need a leader like her."

Palin told reporters last week that she saw a copy of the film and liked it.

– Follow Kevin Bohn on Twitter: @KevinBohnCNN

Filed under: 2012 • Sarah Palin
  1. cuso

Well I now know I will never go to an AMC theater again.

June 10, 2011 09:10 am at 9:10 am |
  2. Rudy NYC

I hope they accurately portray her center-left policies during her stunt (not stint) as Governer.

June 10, 2011 09:14 am at 9:14 am |
  3. lucy2

"The Undefeated"? Um...she knows they lost in 2008, right?

June 10, 2011 09:21 am at 9:21 am |
  4. Fred

If anyone actually goes to see this fimlm then you are out of your mind. This woman has done nothing politically. How many schools did it take for her to get a college degree? She quit as governer. The only thing she accomplished is being lucky enough to be selected as a vp candidate only just over 1 year into a gubernatorial term (which she quit). She is an idiot. Her and the gotcha questions. "Sarah, what is 2+2?" "Oh, that is a gotcha question Katie.......I do not answer those"

June 10, 2011 09:29 am at 9:29 am |
  5. kakaraka

I'm not watching this ever. Palin can't make money on my back for just saying stupid things. Only the waccos tea baggers she can fool and make money on top of.

June 10, 2011 09:29 am at 9:29 am |
  6. ja

only in america, can garbage sell

June 10, 2011 09:47 am at 9:47 am |
  7. BlackPanthers2020

i'm starting a blog to boycott any theater that shows this crap.......................what has she done for America ( besides help dividing it ) that would warrant a movie about this ugly vile creature...............

June 10, 2011 09:49 am at 9:49 am |
  8. lac

what career are they referring to? she aint done chit. the people that support her is as stupid as she is.

June 10, 2011 09:49 am at 9:49 am |
  9. Republicans Are The American Taliban

I will never patronize an AMC Theatre ever again. They have lost my dollars forever....

June 10, 2011 09:50 am at 9:50 am |
  10. Kate

I love me, I love me. Come see my movie and so I'll make more money to promote myself! Just wish she would go aaway. Palin is like fingernails on a blackboard!!

June 10, 2011 09:50 am at 9:50 am |
  11. Pipy

Wow, Palin really is a genius, who else could get people to pay to watch a campaign add?

June 10, 2011 09:51 am at 9:51 am |
  12. "Hated It"!

The summertime is when movies about mystical fantasies are released. Any film called Undefeated about Sarah Palin falls into that category.

It will be released to theatres on a Wednesday – be pulled from all 20 screens by Thursday – go straight to DVD on the following Friday – and be in the $3 junk bin at Wallmart by Saturday.

June 10, 2011 09:51 am at 9:51 am |
  13. Debbie from Arizona

Please, hasn't our country suffered enough? After TLC sold out to this shill and put her reality show on, I deleted the channel from my TV and now AMC Theaters will no longer get my business. I truly hope this film flops. I've had more than enough of this horrible woman's stupidity and crying about how she is the victim. In my opinion, we are the victims of her made up American History and absurd drivel. Enough already.

June 10, 2011 09:56 am at 9:56 am |
  14. Rudy NYC

News Flash: Interviews and Reviews following "The Undefeated" preview
    -----–
    Q: "What did you like about the movie, and what will you take away from it?"
    A: Turns away from camera and whispers to a friend, "What was it again?" Pause. "We enjoyed the historical re-enactments of the 2008 campaign. Palin was cheated out of her victory and remains undefeated against Republicans."

June 10, 2011 09:57 am at 9:57 am |
  15. Four and The Door

lucy2
    "The Undefeated"? Um...she knows they lost in 2008, right?
    ___________________________________________________________________
    Gee, Lucy2. I think that's the point. And yeah...McCain and Palin were clobbered in 2008 70 million to 60 million votes. Forgive her if she doesn't hang her head in shame. Want to take that vote again? I bet McCain wins.

June 10, 2011 09:59 am at 9:59 am |
  16. Laurie

For God's Sake. It is never ending. I'm sure that it will be up for an Oscar.

June 10, 2011 10:02 am at 10:02 am |
  17. Me

Is it a horror or a comedy? I guess she's taking a page from the Reagan playbook but in reverse order.

June 10, 2011 10:03 am at 10:03 am |
  18. Lynda/Minnesota

So the Alaskan Abdicator in Chief now wants to balance the scales of justice in her favor without critical comment of her 1-1/2 governorship of Alaska? Why am I not surprised? Filing this film as more Palin propoganda ... on second thought ... best to send it directly to the trash bin and be done with it.

June 10, 2011 10:03 am at 10:03 am |
  19. Chipster

So, I'm assuming it's a Comedy.

June 10, 2011 10:03 am at 10:03 am |
  20. David

I would believe something Casey Anthony tells me before anything that Palin says. This movie is going to be one big LIE!

June 10, 2011 10:03 am at 10:03 am |
  21. jk from MN

No Thanks. I'll pass.

June 10, 2011 10:05 am at 10:05 am |
  22. Abiding Lib

Count me in as well to boycott AMC theaters. What a farce this is.

June 10, 2011 10:10 am at 10:10 am |
  23. Jim

Believe me, I hope she runs and this movie helps her get the GOP nomination. I REALLY want her to run against President Obama.

Because I really want President Obama to win a second term!

June 10, 2011 10:16 am at 10:16 am |
  24. NancyRose

Look at me! Look at me! Look at me! Should be able to really see how the botox kicked in when her ugly mug is up on the big screen...

June 10, 2011 10:16 am at 10:16 am |