House Democratic leaders split on Weiner's fate
June 13th, 2011

House Democratic leaders split on Weiner's fate

Washington (CNN) - Going into their first leadership meeting in over a week, Democratic leaders were split on whether to keep pushing New York Rep. Anthony Weiner to resign.

Democratic Leader Nancy Pelosi, Steve Israel– chairman of the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee– and Rep. Chris Van Hollen all reiterated that Weiner should step down.

But Democratic Caucus Chairman John Larson said "these decisions are ultimately left to his constituents."

Caucus Vice Chair Xavier Becerra, when pressed if he agreed with Pelosi's call for Weiner to resign, said. "I think she was right to call for an ethics investigation."

As for those who want the congressman to resign, Steve Israel, one of the Democratic leaders who issued coordinated statements calling on Weiner to step down, said:

"He's awaiting the arrival of his wife, having a conversation with his wife. I hope he makes the judgment that he should resign."

Israel confirmed that Weiner told him when they talked Saturday that he wanted to wait to decide until his wife returns from her trip with Hillary Clinton. While CNN has reported that from several Democratic sources who talked to Weiner, it's believed this is the first time anyone has said this on the record.

Meanwhile, Van Hollen said "I hope he will heed the advice of most of the membership."

Filed under: Anthony Weiner • Congress • Democrats
  1. roro

It really irks me how the Democrats are always ready to throw their members under the bus, whereas Republicans stand together with their members. No Republican called for the resignation of Vitter, Ensign, Sanford, Craig, etc, even though some of their indiscretions were actually crimes. These Republicans are always spouting about their "family values", and then they do dispicable things. They're such self-entitled, arrogant hypocrites.`

June 13, 2011 06:55 pm at 6:55 pm |
  2. Reese

We can count on Weiner being too selfish to resign as shown by his actions. As a republican that is a good thiing. This is the gift that keeps on giving. His credability is shot and photos will keep appearing. I hear a new joke daily in reference to this baffoon and they are all funny.

June 13, 2011 06:55 pm at 6:55 pm |
  3. concerned citizen

I am a Democrat and I believe that it is best left up to him and his district but at the same time he is only destroying the image of democrats during a very partisan time in politics

June 13, 2011 07:14 pm at 7:14 pm |
  4. Isabel Lopez-Wiener

I agree with roro Democrats need to get a back bone. I am very involved in the democratic party but I question the way they reacted to the problem. They seem to fall right into the hands of the Republican party. Congress man Weiner is the only one who stood up for the volunteers of 911 of which my daughter is one. Lets see what he has done for the people of New York. I say do not resign.

June 13, 2011 07:27 pm at 7:27 pm |
  5. Sue

I sure don't want some man who does not have the commonsense to keep his genitals off the cell phone lines making decisions that will affect me. Half of Congress should not be there because they are immoral and liars...ever think that is why our government is in the shape it is in....AND WE PAY THEM.

June 13, 2011 07:48 pm at 7:48 pm |
  6. A Kickin' Donkey

To those Democrats lamenting the treatment of Weiner by the party I say this – We are not Republicans. It doesn't matter that Republicans haven't called for Vitter to go. We need to be continue to be the adults in the room and have some honor.

I know you may not want to lose Weiner but he can easiily be replaced. Cuomo names the replacement and his district is hard core blue so there is no way the Dems don't hold this spot.

We are not throwing Weiner "under the bus". We stand for something. There is nothing soft, weak, wishy washy about the Democratic Party. We have character that the Republicans don't have. The GOP will never stand for the priniciples of honor, integrity, character, selflessness.

Character is what you do when nobody is looking. We don't have to ask Weiner to leave but we choose to stand for some accountability and truth. We need not be worried whether voters will give us points for it. It's the right thing to do.

I don't want a guy on my team that thinks he is entitled to blantantly lie to his boss (the people) and keep his job.

June 13, 2011 08:06 pm at 8:06 pm |
  7. S.B. Stein E.B. NJ

This is something that the voters need to decide. This is not something that the House leadership should be talking about.

June 13, 2011 09:01 pm at 9:01 pm |
  8. FM

Where is: "Come back Kid and never do it again"!. Hey dems, to error any human being.

June 13, 2011 09:09 pm at 9:09 pm |
  9. JR

Let the district decided – move on and get in step on what is really important. The DNC, has to take action on the issues that are more important. If all the closets become open, SOL, to every one else.

June 13, 2011 10:04 pm at 10:04 pm |