Rep. Frank's advice to Romney
June 15th, 2011

Rep. Frank's advice to Romney

Washington (CNN) – Massachusetts Rep. Barney Frank has some fashion advice for his former governor, Mitt Romney.

The outspoken Democrat told CNN’s Wolf Blitzer that the 2012 presidential hopeful has been looking "a little bit underdressed" since his neckties have began disappearing from his campaign stop wardrobe.

"Apparently he has spent so much money that he can no longer afford ties. Poor Mitt has not been seen in a tie in several months, so I am going to take up a collection to buy some ties for Mr. Romney," Frank said on CNN’s “The Situation Room.”

But Frank said that ditching his tie is only the latest of the former governor’s flip-flops.

Frank said he stands by comments he made in 2007 about Romney in which he called the presidential hopeful "an extraordinarily ambitious man with no perceivable political principle whatsoever," and "the most intellectually dishonest human being in the history of politics."

"There's no question - no - he has made it worse. He's flip-flopped even more," Frank said. "I cannot think of a public policy ... the only consistent principle of Mitt Romney is he thinks he should run the world."

Filed under: 2012 • Barney Frank • Massachusetts • Mitt Romney • TV-The Situation Room
  1. CBR

Mr. Frank's statements are a little harsh but hey really do resonate. Mr. Romney's tenure in Massachusetts and his subsequent run for higher office do attest to this. Mr. Romney needs to have a clear agenda which he is comfortable discussing. Appeasing the conservatives is not the way to go. The President must know when to stay the course and when to work out a bipartisan solution.

Mr. Romney's comments about President Obama are interesting. Again he is using language to describe the President and his administration ideas that will make Republicans happy. Only trouble is he can be as moderate as the president in real life.

June 16, 2011 12:31 am at 12:31 am |
  2. carlos

nothing new there......always has....and will keep on flop flopping

June 16, 2011 12:56 am at 12:56 am |
  3. peace

that a boy Barney I feel the same way about him and the rest of the gop thugs that"s runing for president.

June 16, 2011 12:57 am at 12:57 am |
  4. patcee

Poor Romney can't win. He started dressing down on the advice of his campaign handlers and now he's criticized for being too informal. Why doesn't the man just dress the way he wants. Let's see who he is and judge him based on that. He does look more like himself with a tie. Informality does not suit him. I am a Democrat and will support Obama, but of all the candidates on the Republican side, Romney seems the most reasonable. They say a Mormon could never be elected president, but they said that about Catholics, too, and JFK became president. Come to think of it, they said that about African-Americans and see what happened.

June 16, 2011 01:15 am at 1:15 am |
  5. Paul

Not wearing a tie is a flip flop? That's a pretty pathetic jab, Barney. You must really be feeling uncomfortable about Obama's chance to continue running the country into the ground to make that kind of comment. Besides, who is going to take fashion advice from you?

Really pathetic.

June 16, 2011 01:23 am at 1:23 am |
  6. kat

What does this fool know about fashion. Maybe he should look in the mirror and consider getting some new dentures

June 16, 2011 01:47 am at 1:47 am |
  7. Reginald

I don't really know what I think about Mitt but the only thing this video tells me is that Barney Frank talks too much and isn't very smart. If he thinks that Mr. Romney is "the most intellectually dishonest human being in the history of politics" then I'm willing to bet that his reading comprehension skills are a little below par because he obviously didn't absorb very much from his history classes.

June 16, 2011 02:16 am at 2:16 am |
  8. glenda

Why does this man even think he has something to offer Rommey? He is another goofy immoral Democrat. He needs to drop completely out of sight, out of mind. He is filth and a fraud like Obama.

June 16, 2011 02:16 am at 2:16 am |
  9. Debra From Georgia

Mitt Romney is very dishonest, he can't even fake the truth.

June 16, 2011 05:01 am at 5:01 am |
  10. Kris in AL

Coming from one of the rudest people in DC, I'm trying to figure out why CNN is even covering what this guy is saying.

June 16, 2011 05:52 am at 5:52 am |
  11. jules sand-perkins

Romney is trying to common-down his image.
    Obama has too frequently done the same thing.
    I don't want the president of my country dressing to state, "I'm just like you–the lowest of the low."
    I don't want a president who is as humble as the grass.

June 16, 2011 06:25 am at 6:25 am |
  12. Marie MD

Good luck Barney, unfortunately you can't change or mold stiff as a board and just as boring.
    The mitt guy looks uncomfortable not wearing a tie. I guess it's from the old days of buying companies, firing American workers and giving their jobs to people in other countries. You have to look "presidential" and "ceo" like!

June 16, 2011 06:28 am at 6:28 am |
  13. cm

you are a mind reader- I can see this from this man, All he wants is to be President. He would never get my vote.
    By the way I'm a black female.

June 16, 2011 06:47 am at 6:47 am |
  14. John

This is the same guy who's significant other was running a prostitution ring out of their house and his other significan other was growing pot in their yard and he "noticed nothing". How about when he said Fanny and Freddy were in good shape just before the the crap really hit the fan.
    Just another in the long line of politicians (Dems and Repubs) I wouldn't want working for me doing any type of job – especially in the role of making laws I am forced to live by.

June 16, 2011 07:04 am at 7:04 am |
  15. Barney Frank

But a tie tied loosely at the neck, draped over a pot belly...now that is a good look!

June 16, 2011 07:34 am at 7:34 am |