Rep. Frank's advice to Romney
June 15th, 2011

Rep. Frank's advice to Romney

Washington (CNN) – Massachusetts Rep. Barney Frank has some fashion advice for his former governor, Mitt Romney.

The outspoken Democrat told CNN’s Wolf Blitzer that the 2012 presidential hopeful has been looking "a little bit underdressed" since his neckties have began disappearing from his campaign stop wardrobe.

"Apparently he has spent so much money that he can no longer afford ties. Poor Mitt has not been seen in a tie in several months, so I am going to take up a collection to buy some ties for Mr. Romney," Frank said on CNN’s “The Situation Room.”

But Frank said that ditching his tie is only the latest of the former governor’s flip-flops.

Frank said he stands by comments he made in 2007 about Romney in which he called the presidential hopeful "an extraordinarily ambitious man with no perceivable political principle whatsoever," and "the most intellectually dishonest human being in the history of politics."

"There's no question - no - he has made it worse. He's flip-flopped even more," Frank said. "I cannot think of a public policy ... the only consistent principle of Mitt Romney is he thinks he should run the world."

Filed under: 2012 • Barney Frank • Massachusetts • Mitt Romney • TV-The Situation Room
  1. Carlos Enrique Queso aka Chuck E. Cheese

Well said, Mr. Frank

June 15, 2011 08:58 pm at 8:58 pm |
  2. duckbutter

franks.... dresses like a drunken slob,,,,,please your no close horse... dont give advice on dressing ...

June 15, 2011 09:05 pm at 9:05 pm |
  3. rob

The last person I would take advice from is Barney Frank. He is apparently still in shock that a Republican sat as Governor of MA.

June 15, 2011 09:05 pm at 9:05 pm |
  4. SarahK

Hey Barney, you had a a big hand in the financial melt down, tell us what you really think :) Is there anyone more arrogant than you or more duplicitous...

June 15, 2011 09:06 pm at 9:06 pm |
  5. BJ

I think Mitt is handsome and looking professional at all times. Sans tie or not. Sounds to me that Barney is just searching for something critical to say......and I mean searching.....

June 15, 2011 09:07 pm at 9:07 pm |
  6. George

It IS good advice. Romney wants to look presidential and his Mormon heritage would dictate that he dress the part, even at the risk of seeming out of touch with ordinary people. Let's face it. Anyone who runs for president needs to inspire confidence. If Romney wants to be seen as one of the people, he can do that by the way he relates to people individually, another quality he can draw from his missionary days.

June 15, 2011 09:09 pm at 9:09 pm |
  7. Kudos Barney

You tell him, Barney! This Mormon who thinks he can become president is not wearing a tie and you know why? Because he can see the handwriting on the wall that it would be symbolic of the noose he is creating for his own campaign!

June 15, 2011 09:13 pm at 9:13 pm |
  8. Randy, San Francisco

Romney should.not pretend to identify with the common man. He is just another fat cat GOP politiician.

June 15, 2011 09:23 pm at 9:23 pm |
  9. sally

Barney Frank reads Romney correctly...the man is a champion flip-flopper and so ambitious he'd sacrifice his most cherished principles to become president. I don't trust Romney...but more than that....I don't like him. He appears soulless.

June 15, 2011 09:29 pm at 9:29 pm |
  10. bunky

from a man who spits when he talks.

June 15, 2011 09:33 pm at 9:33 pm |
  11. Liberal4Obama

Romney is pretending he was never the CEO of Bain Capital. the corporation that closed American factories, invested and sent thousands of American jobs to China

June 15, 2011 09:36 pm at 9:36 pm |
  12. dennis

I don't think Romney needs any advise from Frank, and I sure hope he stays away from any advise from Weiner.
    I know CNN thinks a lot of Frank, and extend invites to Barney so he & Blitzer can chew on topics, but are you still big fan's of Weiner, will you bring Weiner on to get to the bottom of the big issues at hand soon after he gets out of rehab?

June 15, 2011 09:39 pm at 9:39 pm |
  13. blake

Some advice for Barney Frank:
    * profusely apologize and take responsibility for your key role in the collapse of the U.S. housing market
    * resign from Congress
    * reject your gay lifestyle choices
    * keep a low profile the rest of your life

June 15, 2011 09:52 pm at 9:52 pm |
  14. Gee

HA! HA! Talking about dishonest....This coming from one of the architects responsible for the collapse of the housing market, sub-prime mortgage crisis and the trigger to the current recession,,,HA! He and Chris Dodd should be tarred and feathered.....Shut up Barney...move to California and hang with the rest of your buddies....

June 15, 2011 09:53 pm at 9:53 pm |
  15. Veritas

I would never vote for a rethuglicant after theyve shown nothing but disregard for the citizens of our great country.

June 15, 2011 10:05 pm at 10:05 pm |
  16. BUZZkick

"an extraordinarily ambitious man with no perceivable political principle whatsoever," = Genius

June 15, 2011 10:09 pm at 10:09 pm |
  17. Debby

This guy has the nerve to show his mug in public never mind criticize others. He and Dodd are responsible for our horrible housing market which is killing our economy.

June 15, 2011 10:11 pm at 10:11 pm |
  18. 26_third_street

At least Romney is practicle. All Frank ever did was lead the way to the sub-prime mortgage fiasco.

June 15, 2011 10:15 pm at 10:15 pm |
  19. Bob in Pa

I'm sorry Barney, you can not give away your title of "the most intellectually dishonest human being in the history of politics".

June 15, 2011 10:19 pm at 10:19 pm |
  20. S.B. Stein E.B. NJ

Ouch... That sounds harsh there Mr. Frank. I have to say that I like my way of describing Romney a little better; comparrison of Romney's political positions (and hair) to Reid Richards of the Fantasitic Four (he's the flexible one for those that don't know)

June 15, 2011 10:27 pm at 10:27 pm |
  21. Bob

said Elmer Fudd...

June 15, 2011 10:34 pm at 10:34 pm |
  22. Steve-Illinois

Has anyone ever been wrong more often than Barney? How this joke keeps gettting elected is beyond comprehension. "Gee, I didn't know my lover was running a gay prostitution service out of my house!" "Freddie and Frannie are fine!"
    If any one person is most responsible for the housing collapse, it's this idiot!

June 15, 2011 10:34 pm at 10:34 pm |
  23. lsm

It's hard for me to listen to Barney Frank criticize ANYONE when I think of the part he played in the demise of our economy.

June 15, 2011 10:42 pm at 10:42 pm |
  24. O

I think representative Fraaaannnnkk should shut his mouth and clean up his life. Then and only then will I listen to his absurd utterances.

June 15, 2011 10:53 pm at 10:53 pm |
  25. J.V.hodgson

I think Frank is being very frank and probably correct, but if he thinks this is going to score points or degrade Romeys possibility win think again because thats what politicians do change thier minds Ask them which way the winds blowing and I guarantee most will have a different answer even at the same day and time.
    Regards,