Bristol Palin's memoir hits stores
June 21st, 2011

Bristol Palin's memoir hits stores

(CNN) - At 20-years-old, Bristol Palin already has a memoir. In her tell-all book, titled "Not Afraid Of Life: My Journey So Far," which hit shelves Tuesday, the oldest daughter of former vice presidential candidate Sarah Palin dishes on pregnancy to politics.

The memoir details Bristol's unplanned, teenage pregnancy, her days on the 2008 campaign trail with the McCains, and her on-again, off-again relationship with Levi Johnston, the father of her child. (Levi has his own book set to release this fall.)

Bristol starts off her story with the night her virginity was "stolen" by Johnston, saying she had succumbed for the first time in her life to the "woozy charms" of wine coolers while on a camping trip with friends. She woke up the following morning next to Johnston's empty sleeping bag in a tent and found out that the two had slept together–an event, she writes, she couldn't recall.

"I could tell by the evidence in the tent that all of my plans, my promises, and my moral standards had disappeared in one awful night in a series of bad decisions," Bristol writes, concluding that she immediately felt obligated to marry Johnston, a boy she had a crush on since the seventh grade.

Bristol recounts her older brother, Track, growing furious when overhearing on the phone what his sister had done with Johnston. Track allegedly stormed off to Johnston's house, seemingly determined to settle the matter violently.

"Let's just say Track was an 'abstinence only' advocate when it came to his sisters, and he was ready to enforce that philosophy with his fists," Bristol writes, although she doesn't fully disclose what happened at Johnston's house.

The book describes Johnston as a disloyal boyfriend who had "occasional romps with other girls."

To make up for it, he showered Bristol with gifts, including Coach purses, Abercrombie clothing, and designer rain boots. In return, she forgave Johnston and started sleeping with him again with the hope that he would stop cheating.

"It was part 'thank you,' part 'security deposit," she writes.

Later, Bristol, who was 17 at the time, realized she was one month pregnant–a fact confirmed by the eight home pregnancy tests she bought with her friend. Bristol was shocked by the results, claiming she had been on birth control.

And her boyfriend's alleged response? The baby "better be a f****** boy."

Her book also features stories about the 2008 presidential race, including drama between Bristol and Meghan McCain, the daughter of Arizona Sen. John McCain.

Bristol described Meghan as a demanding diva who constantly complained and compared her family to the Palins. The book also reveals moments of Meghan being openly rude to campaign staff and family.

Meghan responded on Twitter to Bristol's accusations Tuesday with a link to a video from 2008 that shows her excited about her father's choice for vice president.

And in the book, Meghan's mother, Cindy McCain, had her own words of comfort for Bristol. While waiting for John McCain to arrive at a Minneapolis airport for the 2008 Republican convention, Cindy pulled Bristol aside on the tarmac to have a little chat, the book said.

"Bristol, I have three things I want to tell you," she said. "I just want you to know that I want to be one of the first people to hold your baby. Also, I want to go to your wedding when it comes together, and lastly, [...] John and I want to be godparents of your child."

Bristol was left speechless by their conversation.

"I had just met her, and I wondered why she wanted any type of guardianship over my child," Bristol writes.

Filed under: Bristol Palin • Sarah Palin
  1. tyler

Okay. She is a 20 year old who has not lived yet and she already has a memoir??? Give me a break! And Levi "stole" her virginity???? is she saying he raped her??? She is trying to clean up her image to sell her dumb as a rock mother to the American people.

June 22, 2011 04:12 pm at 4:12 pm |
  2. Kim

Do you know how many Wine Coolers you would have to drink to black out?

June 22, 2011 04:12 pm at 4:12 pm |
  3. CaptnAvenger

I'm not going to rag on her, I'm just going to say that I find her hard to believe, at best.

I could tell you about a girlfriend I had, with whom I had a loving, deeply connected, and yes, very healthy and active sexual relationship for two-and-a-half years, to which she was enthusiastically dedicated at the time. After awhile she joined a new college church group who did their utmost to help her break away from my "bad influence" and get over me. She ended up married to one of its members. Seven or eight years later, I found a website "testimonial" to Jesus, with her swearing how I had "seduced" her, what a terrible boyfriend/influence I had been, how I had "corrupted" her, etc. I called her on the lie and she was forced to change it.

The point is, what happened to us often changes in the telling, depending on who our audience is, and what we need from them and think they expect of us. Bristol is a person under great pressure to prove her famous, domineering, and nutso mother's beliefs on things to be true and correct. How much of what she says can be taken seriously?

June 22, 2011 04:13 pm at 4:13 pm |
  4. hillcrester

This wholly trashy family will make the Kardashians look good. I didn't realize Jersey Shore was in Alaska–or is it Arizona now?

June 22, 2011 04:13 pm at 4:13 pm |
  5. Ralph in Orange Park, FL

Having sex with a woman who is passed out drunk is not theft, it is rape.

June 22, 2011 04:15 pm at 4:15 pm |
  6. Brett

Some of you have some pretty awful stuff to say about a young girl because you don't agree with her mom's politics. I don't like Palin, but some people are really awful and reprehensible..

June 22, 2011 04:15 pm at 4:15 pm |
  7. Sum Ting Wong

WOW!!! With all her victimization, you would think she is a liberal and not conservative. But I am glad to see that Bristol stirs up a liberal white trash whirlwind, just like her mother. Mention the word Palin and the trailor park comes unglued with negative comments. All the while, the failed president keeps them ignorant.

June 22, 2011 04:15 pm at 4:15 pm |
  8. cathstar

A memoir at 20! Give me a break! Why would anyone want to read it? How was Levi, a high school student, able to afford to buy Bristol pricey designer gifts? If Cindy McCain did actually offer that she and John would be godparents, it was probably becaue she was terrified of how Bristol and Levi might raise their poor, unfortunate child!

Remember the good old days when the Palins were in Alaska and we had never heard of them? Hope we can revert back very soon!

June 22, 2011 04:19 pm at 4:19 pm |
  9. Tony

I wish the Palins would just disappear from the news. Bristol is just the result of her home training by her stupid Mom. Stupid is as Stupid does :) Please don't buy any of the Palin's crap. They are just attention whores, like someone wrote earlier

June 22, 2011 04:22 pm at 4:22 pm |
  10. Xaron

Typical Palin. Bristol learned her mother's lessons well. Blame others for your shortcomings & never take responsibility for your own actions.

June 22, 2011 04:22 pm at 4:22 pm |
  11. John

People who do plan on remaining abstenant do not plan and take birth control.

June 22, 2011 04:22 pm at 4:22 pm |
  12. Marandbo

Her "stolen virginity" as if she had nothing to do with it?????????? Come on... who in their right mind would buy this book?

June 22, 2011 04:23 pm at 4:23 pm |
  13. livingston

So she gets soooo drunk that she blacks out and claims that she "doesn't remember" having sex with him and the he "stole" her virginity? Yea. Right. Then her older brother wants to "settle" it with violence? It shows that the gene pool didn't improve over time. The whole group is morally bankrupt and if they had the sense God gave a rat would slink back to the woods where they belong. They aren't even good for comic relief anymore. They are just sad.

June 22, 2011 04:27 pm at 4:27 pm |
  14. Name1

What did she do to her face? She has a strange jaw!

June 22, 2011 04:27 pm at 4:27 pm |
  15. JJ

oh please she was a willing participant...trailer park trash...

June 22, 2011 04:28 pm at 4:28 pm |
  16. Democrat Class Warfare - Destroying the economy, destroying the country

God I just LOVE seeing another Palin story at the top of the Ticker!! I just cannot get enough Palin. Bristol Palin in the morning, Sarah Palin in the afternoon, Palin's all night!! Yes sirree Bob, just can't git me enough Palin. Thank you CNN!! I just love to see all the libtards go bonkers. Keep up the good work!

June 22, 2011 04:29 pm at 4:29 pm |
  17. Jay Kay, Minneapolis

Barnes and Nobel is already making room for it on their clearance table.

June 22, 2011 04:29 pm at 4:29 pm |
  18. Random Anonymous Blackmail

Palin family, the world mocks you.

June 22, 2011 04:30 pm at 4:30 pm |
  19. Enoch

Does anyone really expect more than finger pointing from this girl?

June 22, 2011 04:32 pm at 4:32 pm |
  20. kpete

Last time I checked, wine coolers are not the black-out drink of choice. She would get gut rot before she blacked out on those, even it if was her first time drinking. And regardless if she was blacked out or not, people who are blacked out still have the consciousness to be able to say no. Being blacked out just means you don't remember what happened when you wake up the next day, it doesn't mean that you are unable to make decisions for yourself. Her virginity was not stolen, she said yes whether she remembers it or not. Levi is not all at fault here. Take some responsibility, sheesh.

June 22, 2011 04:33 pm at 4:33 pm |
  21. Tricia AK

Typical Palin – if you don't like history, REWRITE history......

June 22, 2011 04:34 pm at 4:34 pm |
  22. pirot

Nice Republican 'family values' there in that family. Who is that in the photo by the way? Kim Kardashian computer-aged to 55?

June 22, 2011 04:34 pm at 4:34 pm |
  23. Julie

Will I ever be free of this family in the final 30 (at most) years of my life? Sadly, I don't think so. I detest John McCain for bringing this family into the national spotlight. I didn't know how lucky I was to spend my first 48 years blissfully unaware, and now I will never live a day without them in the news.

June 22, 2011 04:37 pm at 4:37 pm |
  24. Randy

Someone stole her virginity now that is funny she gave it up she knew what she was doing she;s a train wreck just like her mom who cares.

June 22, 2011 04:39 pm at 4:39 pm |
  25. Jack

She looks like trailer trash anyways

June 22, 2011 04:39 pm at 4:39 pm |