Bristol Palin's memoir hits stores
June 21st, 2011

Bristol Palin's memoir hits stores

(CNN) - At 20-years-old, Bristol Palin already has a memoir. In her tell-all book, titled "Not Afraid Of Life: My Journey So Far," which hit shelves Tuesday, the oldest daughter of former vice presidential candidate Sarah Palin dishes on pregnancy to politics.

The memoir details Bristol's unplanned, teenage pregnancy, her days on the 2008 campaign trail with the McCains, and her on-again, off-again relationship with Levi Johnston, the father of her child. (Levi has his own book set to release this fall.)

Bristol starts off her story with the night her virginity was "stolen" by Johnston, saying she had succumbed for the first time in her life to the "woozy charms" of wine coolers while on a camping trip with friends. She woke up the following morning next to Johnston's empty sleeping bag in a tent and found out that the two had slept together–an event, she writes, she couldn't recall.

"I could tell by the evidence in the tent that all of my plans, my promises, and my moral standards had disappeared in one awful night in a series of bad decisions," Bristol writes, concluding that she immediately felt obligated to marry Johnston, a boy she had a crush on since the seventh grade.

Bristol recounts her older brother, Track, growing furious when overhearing on the phone what his sister had done with Johnston. Track allegedly stormed off to Johnston's house, seemingly determined to settle the matter violently.

"Let's just say Track was an 'abstinence only' advocate when it came to his sisters, and he was ready to enforce that philosophy with his fists," Bristol writes, although she doesn't fully disclose what happened at Johnston's house.

The book describes Johnston as a disloyal boyfriend who had "occasional romps with other girls."

To make up for it, he showered Bristol with gifts, including Coach purses, Abercrombie clothing, and designer rain boots. In return, she forgave Johnston and started sleeping with him again with the hope that he would stop cheating.

"It was part 'thank you,' part 'security deposit," she writes.

Later, Bristol, who was 17 at the time, realized she was one month pregnant–a fact confirmed by the eight home pregnancy tests she bought with her friend. Bristol was shocked by the results, claiming she had been on birth control.

And her boyfriend's alleged response? The baby "better be a f****** boy."

Her book also features stories about the 2008 presidential race, including drama between Bristol and Meghan McCain, the daughter of Arizona Sen. John McCain.

Bristol described Meghan as a demanding diva who constantly complained and compared her family to the Palins. The book also reveals moments of Meghan being openly rude to campaign staff and family.

Meghan responded on Twitter to Bristol's accusations Tuesday with a link to a video from 2008 that shows her excited about her father's choice for vice president.

And in the book, Meghan's mother, Cindy McCain, had her own words of comfort for Bristol. While waiting for John McCain to arrive at a Minneapolis airport for the 2008 Republican convention, Cindy pulled Bristol aside on the tarmac to have a little chat, the book said.

"Bristol, I have three things I want to tell you," she said. "I just want you to know that I want to be one of the first people to hold your baby. Also, I want to go to your wedding when it comes together, and lastly, [...] John and I want to be godparents of your child."

Bristol was left speechless by their conversation.

"I had just met her, and I wondered why she wanted any type of guardianship over my child," Bristol writes.

Filed under: Bristol Palin • Sarah Palin
  1. Jack

I miss Paris Hilton, at least she made a good movie.

June 22, 2011 05:07 pm at 5:07 pm |
  2. Alex

Does anybody really care this much about the Palins where they are willing to flock to the nearest bookstore and purchase this peace of crap writing? "stolen" virginity, Bristol, or was it consential sex which you seemed to have already acknowledged? Hypocrisy at its finest.

June 22, 2011 05:07 pm at 5:07 pm |
  3. maine liberal

At 20 what memories can one have. other than getting knocked up.
    Sad that she is using her 5 minutes of fame for this, guess she has to use it and profit form it while she can.
    Just like mama grizzly.

June 22, 2011 05:08 pm at 5:08 pm |
  4. Larry

If she was a liberal, everyone would be applauding her for being an unwed mother and offering to give her state aid. Just ONE MORE proof of the liberal intolerance – "Freedom of speech....as long as we like what you say. If we don't like it, you're evil and must be destroyed."

June 22, 2011 05:09 pm at 5:09 pm |
  5. Jack

She is a fake as Fox News

June 22, 2011 05:11 pm at 5:11 pm |
  6. mark

word on the street is she had already given it up

June 22, 2011 05:11 pm at 5:11 pm |
  7. Jack

Everyone enjoys a train wreak, this is going to be a good one.

June 22, 2011 05:12 pm at 5:12 pm |
  8. CeeBee

Anonymous Cracka-Great comment. Agree 100%
    You got Sum Ting Wright.

June 22, 2011 05:13 pm at 5:13 pm |
  9. Ronald

What could this book possibly be about? She is nobody, done nothing, and worse she is a Palin! You would have to be a moron to buy this book.

June 22, 2011 05:15 pm at 5:15 pm |
  10. Mike

Like mother, like daughter....both idiots! I have NO respect for the palins....especially these 2. God help us. Put them out of my misery and everyone elses. Blaming booze for a lost virginity....lol. Take RESPONSIBILITY for your actions. You got laid, you got pregnant...happens every day and you are no different. As for her mother (?) running for office, you might as well elect Alfred E Neuman (Mad magazine) or some brainless hillbilly. She is the "dumbest" person I've see get this far in life. All she is good for is ???? (nothing I can think of a thing).

June 22, 2011 05:15 pm at 5:15 pm |
  11. tom

So Bristol Palin hadn't seen her name and altered face in he media for a month or so and there you go...just saying something ridiculous, unbelievable and flat out lie...hey...you get mentioned again. WHY...I don't know...some people are obsessed with this trailer park trash family for some reason. Most of us are not...PLEASE stop wrtinng about them....I BEG you.

June 22, 2011 05:16 pm at 5:16 pm |
  12. Sam

I know what she's going through. I too once fell under the spell of wine coolers. It was 1979. I was travelling the Yangtzee in search of a Mongolian horsehair vest. I had got to the market after sundown, all of the clothing traders had gone, but a different sort of trader still lurked about. "Just a taste," he said. That was all it took. Oh, Bristol. The toll road of denial is a long and dangerous one. The price? Your soul.

June 22, 2011 05:18 pm at 5:18 pm |
  13. kathy

"STOLEN virginity"????? Oh my gawd...whre does this family come up with this stuff? Why can't they just STFU and go away. Stop being such media whores and cash cow opportunists. She can change the pattern of her hide...but once a cow...

June 22, 2011 05:18 pm at 5:18 pm |
  14. Pattypal

Please, please America, I implore you, do not buy this book. We are the only ones that can shut down the Palin family's over-extended 15 minutes of fame.

June 22, 2011 05:19 pm at 5:19 pm |
  15. Drew

What a load of high-profile low-lifes. The fun part is that a significant minority in this country looks to the Lipstick Leader of the clan as the political savior of our country. All I can say is hurry up Mayan Apocalypse! Go 2012!

June 22, 2011 05:21 pm at 5:21 pm |
  16. rbshaiii

How many pages does it take to say you learned some fundamentals in dancing ... you like wine ... you hiked your legs after lying to your parents about what you were going to do ... and a little while later you hiked them again to give birth to a bastard. Let's see did I cover her autobiography economically ?

June 22, 2011 05:22 pm at 5:22 pm |
  17. Laura518

Oh, give me a break! Blaming Levi Johnston? She takes no responsibility herself? She "blacked out" on wine coolers and didn't know what happened? Maybe her idiot mother will believe this story. Then she continued to sleep with him to get expensive gifts? That would make her a prostititue. Sorry. I didn't have underage sex. And do you know why? My parents taught me better. They instilled values in me. And my parents are liberal Democrats and aethists. I am sick of the ring wing acting like they invented values. And you know what? People, particularly teenagers, make mistakes sometimes. But she wasn't even raised to take responsibiity – to say "I screwed up". She blames everyone else for her situation. Oh, wait....I guess the apple doesn't fall far from the tree!

June 22, 2011 05:22 pm at 5:22 pm |
  18. Fred Evil

"Larry

If she was a liberal, everyone would be applauding her for being an unwed mother and offering to give her state aid."
    Load of horsehockey and you know it. But you are right, she wouldn't be branded a hypocrite, because she wouldn't be one. Liberals are empathetic, conservatives are just pathetic.

June 22, 2011 05:23 pm at 5:23 pm |
  19. bill

Who the heck is that in the photo above? Goodlawd how many plastic surgeries has this 19 yr. old had? Who signed for her to get all her work done- Todd or Sarah?

June 22, 2011 05:23 pm at 5:23 pm |
  20. Stephen

She is essentially accusing someone of rape because she made bad choices that she is already stated were consensual. Throw in a little backstage gossip and you have all the makings for a really classy girl.

June 22, 2011 05:24 pm at 5:24 pm |
  21. Dan in AZ

It amazes me that a publishing company would gamble a book on a memoir of a 20 year old gadfly. Why not just buy a copy of the "Enquirer" , "Star Gazette", or other trailer-trash "newspapers" for sale at your local supermarket. Here in AZ we are waiting to see if Sarah and Bristol will put trailers on their recently bought estates. And, if Mama Bear thinks she can carpetbag her way into the US Senate, she's in for big let-down. Not even this gun-totin', conservative state is that stupid!

June 22, 2011 05:29 pm at 5:29 pm |
  22. LS

Another Pallin "victim" – nothing is ever their responsibility or fault.

June 22, 2011 05:29 pm at 5:29 pm |
  23. mouse

IF Levi had "stolen" her virginity big mama Palin would have had him in her crosshairs and gone after him from the protection of her heliocopter....

June 22, 2011 05:31 pm at 5:31 pm |
  24. Wallace1968

Dumb. Whats next in the meaningless book department? Anthony Wieners second cousin's niece discusses the trauma his antics caused at her bagel shop?

June 22, 2011 05:32 pm at 5:32 pm |
  25. Jake

The Palin's were PTW a few years ago and now they're RWT (Because idiots keep buying what they are selling.) They say that money changes everything, but not in this case because POOR or RICH the Palin's are still WT.

June 22, 2011 05:32 pm at 5:32 pm |