Bristol Palin's memoir hits stores
June 21st, 2011

Bristol Palin's memoir hits stores

(CNN) - At 20-years-old, Bristol Palin already has a memoir. In her tell-all book, titled "Not Afraid Of Life: My Journey So Far," which hit shelves Tuesday, the oldest daughter of former vice presidential candidate Sarah Palin dishes on pregnancy to politics.

The memoir details Bristol's unplanned, teenage pregnancy, her days on the 2008 campaign trail with the McCains, and her on-again, off-again relationship with Levi Johnston, the father of her child. (Levi has his own book set to release this fall.)

Bristol starts off her story with the night her virginity was "stolen" by Johnston, saying she had succumbed for the first time in her life to the "woozy charms" of wine coolers while on a camping trip with friends. She woke up the following morning next to Johnston's empty sleeping bag in a tent and found out that the two had slept together–an event, she writes, she couldn't recall.

"I could tell by the evidence in the tent that all of my plans, my promises, and my moral standards had disappeared in one awful night in a series of bad decisions," Bristol writes, concluding that she immediately felt obligated to marry Johnston, a boy she had a crush on since the seventh grade.

Bristol recounts her older brother, Track, growing furious when overhearing on the phone what his sister had done with Johnston. Track allegedly stormed off to Johnston's house, seemingly determined to settle the matter violently.

"Let's just say Track was an 'abstinence only' advocate when it came to his sisters, and he was ready to enforce that philosophy with his fists," Bristol writes, although she doesn't fully disclose what happened at Johnston's house.

The book describes Johnston as a disloyal boyfriend who had "occasional romps with other girls."

To make up for it, he showered Bristol with gifts, including Coach purses, Abercrombie clothing, and designer rain boots. In return, she forgave Johnston and started sleeping with him again with the hope that he would stop cheating.

"It was part 'thank you,' part 'security deposit," she writes.

Later, Bristol, who was 17 at the time, realized she was one month pregnant–a fact confirmed by the eight home pregnancy tests she bought with her friend. Bristol was shocked by the results, claiming she had been on birth control.

And her boyfriend's alleged response? The baby "better be a f****** boy."

Her book also features stories about the 2008 presidential race, including drama between Bristol and Meghan McCain, the daughter of Arizona Sen. John McCain.

Bristol described Meghan as a demanding diva who constantly complained and compared her family to the Palins. The book also reveals moments of Meghan being openly rude to campaign staff and family.

Meghan responded on Twitter to Bristol's accusations Tuesday with a link to a video from 2008 that shows her excited about her father's choice for vice president.

And in the book, Meghan's mother, Cindy McCain, had her own words of comfort for Bristol. While waiting for John McCain to arrive at a Minneapolis airport for the 2008 Republican convention, Cindy pulled Bristol aside on the tarmac to have a little chat, the book said.

"Bristol, I have three things I want to tell you," she said. "I just want you to know that I want to be one of the first people to hold your baby. Also, I want to go to your wedding when it comes together, and lastly, [...] John and I want to be godparents of your child."

Bristol was left speechless by their conversation.

"I had just met her, and I wondered why she wanted any type of guardianship over my child," Bristol writes.

Filed under: Bristol Palin • Sarah Palin
  1. Portia

"A boozy night of wine coolers leads outspoken abstinance only teenage girl to lose her virginity to the wrong kind of guy and to later find herself pregnant." Briston and Levi? NO! Quinn and Puck from Glee!

June 22, 2011 05:32 pm at 5:32 pm |
  2. Hook

The media just cannot get enough of the Palins. So what her book went shelves I see the trolls are already out. Look at the guy begging people to not buy the book. My suggestion is do what the heck you want. Do not listen to other people buy the book don't buy book make your choice.

June 22, 2011 05:34 pm at 5:34 pm |
  3. HarleySporster883

Shaking my head, next act of government should be some border policy that keeps them away from the rest of your country (sorry Alaska)

June 22, 2011 05:36 pm at 5:36 pm |
  4. Tom

Memoirs traditionally are written by elder statesmen and women who made a difference in our lives, usually for the better. Bristol Palin makes a complete travesty of this process. My God, will someone please put a muzzle on her, her mother and the father of Bristol's child.

June 22, 2011 05:38 pm at 5:38 pm |
  5. Ronrr

Why is the media paying attention to white trash?
    So sick of hearing about her and her Momma.. and no I'm not afraid of them. you betcha I'm not (winky winky)

June 22, 2011 05:39 pm at 5:39 pm |
  6. Michelle

I don't know what is worse: Her writing a book, or CNN covering it.

June 22, 2011 05:40 pm at 5:40 pm |
  7. gramtx

What is it anyway with this family? They are all wonderful and everything bad that happens to them is someone else's fault. It's all about the money in writing this book that portrays her as being so innocent and being taken advantage of, none of it really her doing. If she were any kind of a mother she would realize this book will be out there for her child to read someday.

June 22, 2011 05:41 pm at 5:41 pm |
  8. Tori

Maybe I'm confused, but when I hear that someone believes in abstinence only and I don't think of someone who is on birth control pills, who goes on boy/girl camping trips apparently without a chaperone, and who drinks wine coolers excessively enough that she blacks out. And I can assure you that my parents, abstinence believing or not, would not have let me go on a camping trip with my boyfriend, wine coolers or not. I also would not allow my own child to do the same. Then to say that she stayed with Levi even though he "stole" her virginity (a euphemism for rape if I ever heard one) and cheated on her regularly which he paid for with expensive gifts is just adding to my inability to believe what she's saying. She goes on to admit that she started having sex with him once again as an insurance policy? So much for that abstinence, right? Most girls who had their virginity stolen by a guy wouldn't continue to date him. Most girls who get repeatedly cheated on wouldn't stay with the guy, regardless of how much he spent on her to make up for it. To me this says Bristol can be bought. And most people who truly are into abstinence would have dumped Levi, not started sleeping with him again. The girl isn't just a liar, she's a really bad liar.

June 22, 2011 05:41 pm at 5:41 pm |
  9. Tina Stockton

Poor girl is just like her mother, Caribou Barbie. She wants money and is only out for herself...how pathetic that the apple does not fall far from that tree.

June 22, 2011 05:45 pm at 5:45 pm |
  10. Lizzy10

It would seem to me that Mrs. McCain was trying to be gracious, something Ms. Palin doesn't seem to know how to be. Therein lies the difference between the McCains and the Palins, class.

June 22, 2011 05:45 pm at 5:45 pm |
  11. Claudia, Houston, Tx

Okay everybody, all together now "I was drunk but after I got sober I remembered how good it was and I just kept doing it"., okay.

June 22, 2011 05:46 pm at 5:46 pm |
  12. Kerry

Most people in here are just upset due to never having and will probably never have 15 minutes of fame. I do not understand why there is so much hatred in this world now a days???? What did she personally do wrong to all of you to invoke such wrath?

June 22, 2011 05:47 pm at 5:47 pm |
  13. Brad

Hollywood touch is already showing up on her face... She looks all puffed up, yuck!

June 22, 2011 05:48 pm at 5:48 pm |
  14. Terry

Talk about a "Pig in a Poke".

June 22, 2011 05:50 pm at 5:50 pm |
  15. Laura

Stolen my foot. Sounds to me like she got drunk and gave it away. What a piece of trash. Go away now.

June 22, 2011 05:51 pm at 5:51 pm |
  16. ryan

if having sex was against her "plans" and "morals", then why was she on birth control?

June 22, 2011 05:51 pm at 5:51 pm |
  17. keylargo

Sorry Bristol, I don't believe in the Easter Bunny anymore, and I don't believe your story.

June 22, 2011 05:54 pm at 5:54 pm |
  18. jsK

I find it very irritating that she is saying her virginity was 'stolen'. From the sounds of it, she had a drunk night of sex by her choice. Unless her saying her virginity was stolen is her way of saying she was raped.

June 22, 2011 05:57 pm at 5:57 pm |
  19. pccel

@ JR ROSS...there's a world of difference between reading a short article on a blog vs actually laying cash to buy the book; don't think it will be on the best seller list.

June 22, 2011 05:59 pm at 5:59 pm |
  20. Portia

Kerry, I think most people are taking issue with the fact that she is going out of her way to make the father of her child look like a rapist/dirtbag and to paint herself as a witless victim when none of her statements sound remotely truthfull.

June 22, 2011 06:00 pm at 6:00 pm |
  21. Beverly - NYC

Poor Bristol, Our Lady of Perpetual Victimhood. Take responsibility for your actions dear. You willingly lied to your parents about the "camping" trip, drank underaged, continued sleeping with a jerk who didn't care to make your first time like a fairy tale, and you accepted high priced goods to continue sleeping with him. I hope you didn't write any glowing love notes to Levi about your first time, that would be awkward since you're accusing him of rape and all.

Thanks again John McCain, if only you had manned up & picked Joe Lieberman . No one would know this families name, Miss Bristol would be a single mom drop out working at the local Wafflehouse house hoping for a cruise passenger would sweep he off her feet.

June 22, 2011 06:00 pm at 6:00 pm |
  22. Rose

This book should be sold in the "fiction" category because that is what it is - FICTION. You are a big baby and cannot take responsibility for anything. We do not believe you about your Cindy McCain allegations, your Megan McCain allegations or the fairytale you concocted about losing your virginity. Your 15 minutes are up my dear!

June 22, 2011 06:03 pm at 6:03 pm |
  23. Brian

I I'd say someone stole her brain too.

June 22, 2011 06:04 pm at 6:04 pm |
  24. rad

She doesn't remember it........hahahahahaha..........she was on birth control.............hahahaha, so this book is fiction......................

June 22, 2011 06:04 pm at 6:04 pm |
  25. amberly

Too bad her memoir didn't give the scoop on what happened to her FACE! What did she have another tipsy event and stumble into a deep fryer vat?

June 22, 2011 06:04 pm at 6:04 pm |