Bristol Palin's memoir hits stores
June 21st, 2011

Bristol Palin's memoir hits stores

(CNN) - At 20-years-old, Bristol Palin already has a memoir. In her tell-all book, titled "Not Afraid Of Life: My Journey So Far," which hit shelves Tuesday, the oldest daughter of former vice presidential candidate Sarah Palin dishes on pregnancy to politics.

The memoir details Bristol's unplanned, teenage pregnancy, her days on the 2008 campaign trail with the McCains, and her on-again, off-again relationship with Levi Johnston, the father of her child. (Levi has his own book set to release this fall.)

Bristol starts off her story with the night her virginity was "stolen" by Johnston, saying she had succumbed for the first time in her life to the "woozy charms" of wine coolers while on a camping trip with friends. She woke up the following morning next to Johnston's empty sleeping bag in a tent and found out that the two had slept together–an event, she writes, she couldn't recall.

"I could tell by the evidence in the tent that all of my plans, my promises, and my moral standards had disappeared in one awful night in a series of bad decisions," Bristol writes, concluding that she immediately felt obligated to marry Johnston, a boy she had a crush on since the seventh grade.

Bristol recounts her older brother, Track, growing furious when overhearing on the phone what his sister had done with Johnston. Track allegedly stormed off to Johnston's house, seemingly determined to settle the matter violently.

"Let's just say Track was an 'abstinence only' advocate when it came to his sisters, and he was ready to enforce that philosophy with his fists," Bristol writes, although she doesn't fully disclose what happened at Johnston's house.

The book describes Johnston as a disloyal boyfriend who had "occasional romps with other girls."

To make up for it, he showered Bristol with gifts, including Coach purses, Abercrombie clothing, and designer rain boots. In return, she forgave Johnston and started sleeping with him again with the hope that he would stop cheating.

"It was part 'thank you,' part 'security deposit," she writes.

Later, Bristol, who was 17 at the time, realized she was one month pregnant–a fact confirmed by the eight home pregnancy tests she bought with her friend. Bristol was shocked by the results, claiming she had been on birth control.

And her boyfriend's alleged response? The baby "better be a f****** boy."

Her book also features stories about the 2008 presidential race, including drama between Bristol and Meghan McCain, the daughter of Arizona Sen. John McCain.

Bristol described Meghan as a demanding diva who constantly complained and compared her family to the Palins. The book also reveals moments of Meghan being openly rude to campaign staff and family.

Meghan responded on Twitter to Bristol's accusations Tuesday with a link to a video from 2008 that shows her excited about her father's choice for vice president.

And in the book, Meghan's mother, Cindy McCain, had her own words of comfort for Bristol. While waiting for John McCain to arrive at a Minneapolis airport for the 2008 Republican convention, Cindy pulled Bristol aside on the tarmac to have a little chat, the book said.

"Bristol, I have three things I want to tell you," she said. "I just want you to know that I want to be one of the first people to hold your baby. Also, I want to go to your wedding when it comes together, and lastly, [...] John and I want to be godparents of your child."

Bristol was left speechless by their conversation.

"I had just met her, and I wondered why she wanted any type of guardianship over my child," Bristol writes.

Filed under: Bristol Palin • Sarah Palin
  1. David, CA

Another Palin not taking responsibility for her actions. It's ALWAYS someone else's fault.

June 22, 2011 06:04 pm at 6:04 pm |
  2. Rennee' Hernandez

I've never seen a family so adept at playing the victim.

June 22, 2011 06:06 pm at 6:06 pm |
  3. Cola

They know the truth. They know the world knows the truth. They know what the reaction is going to be. They don't care so far as they can make money out of lying and shifting blames on others. Look at the Mom. Like mother like daughter. Go figure!!!!

June 22, 2011 06:11 pm at 6:11 pm |
  4. yikes

This girl doesn't like to take responsibility for anything of her doing. She blames Levi for having sex wih her, she blames anyone but herself for her birth control not working, she blames DWTS people for supposed jealousy of her, she blames the MCCains for anything and everything – and they were supporters of her mom, she'll probably blame the ghostwriter of the new book for the nasty things that are written – saying they forced her to put her name on it even though it wasn't the truth, it's endless where the blame lies – but none of it goes to her. Two words for you Bristol -

June 22, 2011 06:15 pm at 6:15 pm |
  5. letsride

Apparently Sarah Palin favors drilling in the national wildlife refuge, but not drilling in her daughter. Maybe Levi just misunderstood when she said "Drill baby Drill!"

June 22, 2011 06:15 pm at 6:15 pm |
  6. Ronald

Is this a new graphic novel? If she wrote this, and I doubt that she did, there really can't be that much content but pictures would work.

June 22, 2011 06:15 pm at 6:15 pm |
  7. yikes

GROW UP

June 22, 2011 06:16 pm at 6:16 pm |
  8. Sporadic1

Virginity not stolen-Responsibility not accepted.

June 22, 2011 06:18 pm at 6:18 pm |
  9. Devon Rex

Like mother, like daughter. The only way they can make money is to pander to their gullible audience.

June 22, 2011 06:19 pm at 6:19 pm |
  10. Sporadic1

I hope Bristol is happy, now that she looks a heavy Janet Dickenson. Poor child.

June 22, 2011 06:20 pm at 6:20 pm |
  11. marc

Only in america.............The world is laughing

June 22, 2011 06:20 pm at 6:20 pm |
  12. Bill

Well, at least she's learned well from her mom. When all else fails, BLAME OTHERS. Her virginity was STOLEN?!? If that were the case... you can bet her family would have filed RAPE charges. STOLEN?!? Please...

June 22, 2011 06:20 pm at 6:20 pm |
  13. I get to vote in this country too

Is anyone commenting on this under the age of 30?? As someone born after 1980 and not too far from her age let me enlighten you on a couple points about what it's like to come of age during the 21st century...

There are legitimate reasons to be on birth control while not being sexually active. The acne treatment Acutane comes to mind, it's a requirement because it will mess up a fetus terribly. In fact, many birth control pills themselves are approved for the treatment of acne. I was very sheltered at an all girls high school, and was a virgin until 18, yet was on birth control for this very reason: to regulate my hormones to keep my acne in check. So yes, it does make sense for virgins to be on birth control.

Because I am not a member of one of the preachiest, most politically charged families in the US, my mistakes are not subject to national scrutiny. One of these mistakes was losing my virginity while blacked-out intoxicated my first week of college. It wasn't the first time I had been drunk, it was the third. Legally, this is rape. I have spent much of the last few years reconciling my role as a victim (a young man took advantage of me while I was incapacitated) and my level accountability for putting myself in that situation. I can see why, in the ensuing confusion and disappointment, Bristol continued her activities.

I don't agree with this family politically. I don't believe in what they stand for or the general way they command media attention. But I believe that this young woman, especially with a mother like Sarah Palin, deserves to have her voice heard and shame on those who have posted such hateful comments.

June 22, 2011 06:23 pm at 6:23 pm |
  14. Buck in AK

Her memoirs are over a 3 year period....17-20. ha ha!
    One positive thing about the family's stardom is they are out of Alaska!!! Thanks

June 22, 2011 06:23 pm at 6:23 pm |
  15. Devon Rex

I'm sorry... this story should be in the Looney Tunes section, not Politics.

June 22, 2011 06:23 pm at 6:23 pm |
  16. white trash

Every town has a lady like you. A few drinks and you get a tumble in the hay. Enjoy knowing that no self-respecting man will have anything to do with you.

June 22, 2011 06:23 pm at 6:23 pm |
  17. Greenspam

I would like to see Bristol Palin and Levi to run on the next Amazing Race. In fact, rumor is that the producers of TAR called Bristol up and asked her if she liked the Amazing Race, her answer was: as long as it's white, she likes it.

June 22, 2011 06:25 pm at 6:25 pm |
  18. Who?Me?

Another Palin who thinks everything is always somebody else's fault. These people just do not understand the word "responsible", much less "adult."

Sigh.

June 22, 2011 06:28 pm at 6:28 pm |
  19. Shemp Howard

Does she eat the green eggs and ham at the end?

June 22, 2011 06:28 pm at 6:28 pm |
  20. 19random35

It must have been difficult pitching this book to a publisher because the only people interested in reading this "book" are also very likely to be illiterate. I'll have to assume it's printed in a large font with many pictures and illustrations.

June 22, 2011 06:38 pm at 6:38 pm |
  21. joe Ranger

She should go work for Vivid Films

June 22, 2011 06:41 pm at 6:41 pm |
  22. Whatev

"I could tell by the evidence in the tent that all of my plans, my promises, and my moral standards had disappeared in one awful night in a series of bad decisions." Which happened again and again, and again. Anyone with half a brain knows this book is a fallacy.

June 22, 2011 06:42 pm at 6:42 pm |
  23. George

Talk about a poking a pig.If I were a woman I wouldn't let Levi touch me after he went there.

June 22, 2011 06:42 pm at 6:42 pm |
  24. Fuyuko

Sorry, but I think she is very immature. Don't reveal all this embarrasing personal bizness and don't blame wine coolers which you CHOOSE tro drink for your indescretions. Whats the kid going to think reading this 'bio'

June 22, 2011 06:45 pm at 6:45 pm |
  25. Bob

Hey, Sarah! How's that abstinence education working out there for ya?

June 22, 2011 06:46 pm at 6:46 pm |