Bristol Palin's memoir hits stores
June 21st, 2011

Bristol Palin's memoir hits stores

(CNN) - At 20-years-old, Bristol Palin already has a memoir. In her tell-all book, titled "Not Afraid Of Life: My Journey So Far," which hit shelves Tuesday, the oldest daughter of former vice presidential candidate Sarah Palin dishes on pregnancy to politics.

The memoir details Bristol's unplanned, teenage pregnancy, her days on the 2008 campaign trail with the McCains, and her on-again, off-again relationship with Levi Johnston, the father of her child. (Levi has his own book set to release this fall.)

Bristol starts off her story with the night her virginity was "stolen" by Johnston, saying she had succumbed for the first time in her life to the "woozy charms" of wine coolers while on a camping trip with friends. She woke up the following morning next to Johnston's empty sleeping bag in a tent and found out that the two had slept together–an event, she writes, she couldn't recall.

"I could tell by the evidence in the tent that all of my plans, my promises, and my moral standards had disappeared in one awful night in a series of bad decisions," Bristol writes, concluding that she immediately felt obligated to marry Johnston, a boy she had a crush on since the seventh grade.

Bristol recounts her older brother, Track, growing furious when overhearing on the phone what his sister had done with Johnston. Track allegedly stormed off to Johnston's house, seemingly determined to settle the matter violently.

"Let's just say Track was an 'abstinence only' advocate when it came to his sisters, and he was ready to enforce that philosophy with his fists," Bristol writes, although she doesn't fully disclose what happened at Johnston's house.

The book describes Johnston as a disloyal boyfriend who had "occasional romps with other girls."

To make up for it, he showered Bristol with gifts, including Coach purses, Abercrombie clothing, and designer rain boots. In return, she forgave Johnston and started sleeping with him again with the hope that he would stop cheating.

"It was part 'thank you,' part 'security deposit," she writes.

Later, Bristol, who was 17 at the time, realized she was one month pregnant–a fact confirmed by the eight home pregnancy tests she bought with her friend. Bristol was shocked by the results, claiming she had been on birth control.

And her boyfriend's alleged response? The baby "better be a f****** boy."

Her book also features stories about the 2008 presidential race, including drama between Bristol and Meghan McCain, the daughter of Arizona Sen. John McCain.

Bristol described Meghan as a demanding diva who constantly complained and compared her family to the Palins. The book also reveals moments of Meghan being openly rude to campaign staff and family.

Meghan responded on Twitter to Bristol's accusations Tuesday with a link to a video from 2008 that shows her excited about her father's choice for vice president.

And in the book, Meghan's mother, Cindy McCain, had her own words of comfort for Bristol. While waiting for John McCain to arrive at a Minneapolis airport for the 2008 Republican convention, Cindy pulled Bristol aside on the tarmac to have a little chat, the book said.

"Bristol, I have three things I want to tell you," she said. "I just want you to know that I want to be one of the first people to hold your baby. Also, I want to go to your wedding when it comes together, and lastly, [...] John and I want to be godparents of your child."

Bristol was left speechless by their conversation.

"I had just met her, and I wondered why she wanted any type of guardianship over my child," Bristol writes.

Filed under: Bristol Palin • Sarah Palin
  1. Brian

Why does she have a memoir and why would anyone read it?

June 22, 2011 08:05 pm at 8:05 pm |
  2. ???

Seriously? He 'stole' your virginity after you drank some wine coolers? Let's see what is wrong with that picture. Did he force them down your throat? Did he spike them? Did you say 'no'?

If you can answer 'yes' to any of these questions you have a case. Otherwise you are responsible for our part in the event.

As for his romps with other girls, yeah that was definitely not high on the moral character scale. However, your forgiving him in exchange for various items does not really reflect that well on you. If he did once and you dumped him you were wronged. If he did once and you took Abercrombie clothing in exchange to forgive him you do not hold the moral high ground. Since you did it many times you can't even suggest you are a victim.

BTW Cindy McCain's words seem supportive more than creepy. The Godparents thing takes it a bit far but being a godparent doesn't give any guardianship rights.

June 22, 2011 08:09 pm at 8:09 pm |
  3. FlauntMyBootyNotTheBible

She's milking the tea baggers' for every last cent

June 22, 2011 08:14 pm at 8:14 pm |
  4. Lori

I am sorry Mehgan McCain looks classy compared to Bristol. I doubt people will believe Bristol in a she said/she said situation.

June 22, 2011 08:14 pm at 8:14 pm |
  5. Anonymous

She was taking birth control, she obviously was prepared to give up her virginity. It takes two to tango. What a disgrace, and what an ugly young woman. What's up with the "New" face?!?

June 22, 2011 08:20 pm at 8:20 pm |
  6. Sharon S.

They should have named the book, "Trailer Park Chronicles."

June 22, 2011 08:21 pm at 8:21 pm |
  7. Pattir58

A memoir... for what?That she was 17, a vice presidential's unmarried daughte,r that got knocked up at 17, and now is an unwed mother? Are you kidding me. This is a tragedy!!! And she gets a publisher to let her make money upon her son's plight? OMG... America is going to the hell in a handbag!!!

June 22, 2011 08:24 pm at 8:24 pm |
  8. Keb

It is kinda hill billy like , who is she having sex with now ? Does she use birth control now? Is she into abstinence ? Please do tell.

June 22, 2011 08:25 pm at 8:25 pm |
  9. terry Bellah

I think I see republican revisionist history again.I say it so it must be true,I had my VIRGINITY STOLEN FROM ME.Repeat after me She had her VIRGINITY STOLEN FROM her.These people are so pitiful a memoir at twenty for having a semi famous for quitting govenor/mother who lies and makes money off the stupid.Piiiiiiissssssssssssssses me off so much.

June 22, 2011 08:27 pm at 8:27 pm |
  10. grich

If you believe this tart, there is a possible pig of a candidate that looks just like her.

June 22, 2011 08:30 pm at 8:30 pm |
  11. David

Stolen Virginity yeah right she willinglly laid on her back!!!

June 22, 2011 08:32 pm at 8:32 pm |
  12. laughing at you

to the hundreds that claim to think that bristol palin is too young or too dumb or should just go away: you read the article and commented on it for the same reason this book will sell. not that i am a fan of the palins.

June 22, 2011 08:32 pm at 8:32 pm |
  13. 2saymore

Who cares about a book with trash words of dumbness?

June 22, 2011 08:35 pm at 8:35 pm |
  14. Aware Ness

Oh please "stolen" virginity... she was a WILLING participant!

June 22, 2011 08:42 pm at 8:42 pm |
  15. Tubby the Tuba TEXAS

Stolen! She gave it away and then blamed the boy. Then she had 'thank you" sex from there on out. Now she is behind the abstinance program? Sounds like she is trying to spin away her blame....it is her body...her choice.

June 22, 2011 08:55 pm at 8:55 pm |
  16. Mommytoane

Hmm. The BC was supposedly because of irregular periods. Supposedly.
    It just goes to show you where the downfall of society is comming....the Dummbing down. We let people like Bristol Palin, or her mommy....who dont seem to know right from wrong....influence our young.
    How anyone got so blasted on winecoolers that they dont recall their own actions is beyond me. Thats a decent amount of winecoolers. Not to mention, lets face it....booze heightens hormones. Who's to say Bristol didnt rape the babydadddy? If she felt *Raped* by this young man....why was she with him? WHy did she let him be part of her child's life? What kind of person is she? Besides retarded.

June 22, 2011 08:57 pm at 8:57 pm |
  17. Leonard

OMG, I feel so stupid. I thought the article was about one of the Kardashians when I saw the picture, but then I kept reading. sigh.

June 22, 2011 09:01 pm at 9:01 pm |
  18. Bob

Why does a 20 year old need a memoir?

June 22, 2011 09:04 pm at 9:04 pm |
  19. Liz

Despite the ridiculousness the Palin's continue to bring to our attention, I in no way can condone the talk of her getting drunk and being sexually assaulted as a topic for doubt. The truth is between her and her boyfriend, not for anyone else to assume. It is too easy for us to sit on the sidelines and condemn her about her "first time" when we certainly weren't there.

June 22, 2011 09:05 pm at 9:05 pm |
  20. C

Right, so. Let's get this right. Firstly, she is admitting to drinking under age. Ok, fine, others do it too. Not the point though. The fact her parents even let it happen, well then again, that's not a big surprise, is it? But then, she claims she doesn't "remember" the sex. If that were the case, then he should have gone to jail, not in your bedroom like he probably did. But no, of course not – it was a 'mistake' after all. If anything, you stole his virginity. Of course, the fact he was with you to begin with says heaps about him, but that is another story entirely! And, as someone else wisely pointed out. Abstinence but birth control. Right...

Lies and more lies from a filthy, corrupt, drama seeking, pathetic family.

Oh, and yes, a memoir at 20 I think I saw. What a joke. I'd say 99% of 20 year olds don't even have much wisdom about many things at all ('cept possibly what it's like being a brat, in which case this one meets the requirements), let alone memories. This is just a joke surely? Or maybe it's – ah yes – attention seeking attempt. Of course, if she expects good attention, well this whole page shows the exact opposite. But well, sadly, most people who want attention like attention in any shape or form (so shame on me for writing this!).

June 22, 2011 09:16 pm at 9:16 pm |
  21. LAUGHABLE!!

@ Chris M - Did she check the lost and found?
    LOL!!!! Now THAT is the funniest post of all!!!

June 22, 2011 09:21 pm at 9:21 pm |
  22. Leslie

How can a 20-year-old, ANY 20-year-old, have enough memories to do a memoir?

June 22, 2011 09:28 pm at 9:28 pm |
  23. Anonymous

When does her album drop?

June 22, 2011 09:43 pm at 9:43 pm |
  24. sky geek

Bristol plays the victim – of course, losing her virginity wasn't her fault. Momma grizzly has taught her well.

June 22, 2011 09:52 pm at 9:52 pm |
  25. 1977

I agree with all of you but, she is laughing all the way to the bank. No different than what the rest of the family is doing Like mother Like daughter. When you have sheep following blindly your every word then you get their money and laugh at them.

June 22, 2011 09:56 pm at 9:56 pm |