Bristol Palin's memoir hits stores
June 21st, 2011

Bristol Palin's memoir hits stores

(CNN) - At 20-years-old, Bristol Palin already has a memoir. In her tell-all book, titled "Not Afraid Of Life: My Journey So Far," which hit shelves Tuesday, the oldest daughter of former vice presidential candidate Sarah Palin dishes on pregnancy to politics.

The memoir details Bristol's unplanned, teenage pregnancy, her days on the 2008 campaign trail with the McCains, and her on-again, off-again relationship with Levi Johnston, the father of her child. (Levi has his own book set to release this fall.)

Bristol starts off her story with the night her virginity was "stolen" by Johnston, saying she had succumbed for the first time in her life to the "woozy charms" of wine coolers while on a camping trip with friends. She woke up the following morning next to Johnston's empty sleeping bag in a tent and found out that the two had slept together–an event, she writes, she couldn't recall.

"I could tell by the evidence in the tent that all of my plans, my promises, and my moral standards had disappeared in one awful night in a series of bad decisions," Bristol writes, concluding that she immediately felt obligated to marry Johnston, a boy she had a crush on since the seventh grade.

Bristol recounts her older brother, Track, growing furious when overhearing on the phone what his sister had done with Johnston. Track allegedly stormed off to Johnston's house, seemingly determined to settle the matter violently.

"Let's just say Track was an 'abstinence only' advocate when it came to his sisters, and he was ready to enforce that philosophy with his fists," Bristol writes, although she doesn't fully disclose what happened at Johnston's house.

The book describes Johnston as a disloyal boyfriend who had "occasional romps with other girls."

To make up for it, he showered Bristol with gifts, including Coach purses, Abercrombie clothing, and designer rain boots. In return, she forgave Johnston and started sleeping with him again with the hope that he would stop cheating.

"It was part 'thank you,' part 'security deposit," she writes.

Later, Bristol, who was 17 at the time, realized she was one month pregnant–a fact confirmed by the eight home pregnancy tests she bought with her friend. Bristol was shocked by the results, claiming she had been on birth control.

And her boyfriend's alleged response? The baby "better be a f****** boy."

Her book also features stories about the 2008 presidential race, including drama between Bristol and Meghan McCain, the daughter of Arizona Sen. John McCain.

Bristol described Meghan as a demanding diva who constantly complained and compared her family to the Palins. The book also reveals moments of Meghan being openly rude to campaign staff and family.

Meghan responded on Twitter to Bristol's accusations Tuesday with a link to a video from 2008 that shows her excited about her father's choice for vice president.

And in the book, Meghan's mother, Cindy McCain, had her own words of comfort for Bristol. While waiting for John McCain to arrive at a Minneapolis airport for the 2008 Republican convention, Cindy pulled Bristol aside on the tarmac to have a little chat, the book said.

"Bristol, I have three things I want to tell you," she said. "I just want you to know that I want to be one of the first people to hold your baby. Also, I want to go to your wedding when it comes together, and lastly, [...] John and I want to be godparents of your child."

Bristol was left speechless by their conversation.

"I had just met her, and I wondered why she wanted any type of guardianship over my child," Bristol writes.

Filed under: Bristol Palin • Sarah Palin
  1. roscoe

Why would Todd and Sarah allow a 17 year old daughter to be on birth control? Why would there be any need? A Palin having sex outside of wedlock? I mean, besides Todd and the hookers.

June 21, 2011 09:49 pm at 9:49 pm |
  2. Aaron

The book should be title Loud Mouthed Teen Slut Tells All.

June 21, 2011 09:51 pm at 9:51 pm |
  3. Sherri

I have three things to say about this post. 1. Why is it under political ticker instead of entertainment. 2. Bristol's face looks weird. She was prettier before the surgery. 3. Who cares about any of this that she writes in her memoirs???

June 21, 2011 09:51 pm at 9:51 pm |
  4. Really?

So he got her drunk and took advantage of her and ruined her plans of abstinence. At that point she went on birth control and slept with him to thank him for expensive gifts. A strange story indeed.

June 21, 2011 09:52 pm at 9:52 pm |
  5. mangoz

Obviously, Ms. Palin had to really scramble to get this book together before Levi's tell all comes out in the fall and in doing so she proves once again that she is a true grifter just like her mom. I have not nor will I read this garbage. In the words of the great Dorothy Parker..."this is not a book to be tossed aside lightly...it should be thrown with great force! (into the garbage)

June 21, 2011 09:54 pm at 9:54 pm |
  6. jtsilver2th

OK- let's see she gets plastic surgery for medical reasons and gets on the pill for medical reasons. She used bad judgment because she had too many wine coolers– Somehow it seems like just a bit of "whitewash" on the whole thing. It seems a bit different story than an account of that relationship I read as advanced by a high school girl friend of hers- Oh well that's all ok really. I think though she must be in line behind on Mom on Are You Smarter Than a Fifth Grader- being a child's godparents does not create any kind of guardianship- how can that get through editiors? Poor Palin Clan can't even pull off a shot-gun wedding.

June 21, 2011 09:56 pm at 9:56 pm |
  7. ABM

Why do we care? Why is she important?

June 21, 2011 09:57 pm at 9:57 pm |
  8. JERSEYTOMATO

Just as interesting as her mom :( blah blah blah ...your mouth keeps moving but nothing is coming out. The Palins sure know how to milk the US for every dime they can chase.

June 21, 2011 10:00 pm at 10:00 pm |
  9. Sgt Joe

You have got to be kidding, right? A "Memior"? Really? Aren't those for someone who is important? Hysterical....lol!!!!

June 21, 2011 10:05 pm at 10:05 pm |
  10. terry

Bristol Palin was date-raped by Levi Johnston. On top of that, it was statutory-rape because she was under 18 and he was over 18. He should be locked-up!

June 21, 2011 10:08 pm at 10:08 pm |
  11. works4me

Boy... these guys learned how to make the cash in America real fast and easy... all from McCain's mistake.

June 21, 2011 10:10 pm at 10:10 pm |
  12. Sean McAlister

Bristol who? And why do we care about her memoirs? Oh, I forgot, she is a "reality tv star". Oh well, got to get back to watching Snooki anyhow.

June 21, 2011 10:10 pm at 10:10 pm |
  13. RaY

Who cares?

June 21, 2011 10:17 pm at 10:17 pm |
  14. JideOla

If my memory serves me right, (and it does most of the time) then vice presidential candidate Mrs. Palin (Ms. Palin's mom) mocked then Demoratic candidate (Mr. Obama) in a speech that he (Obama) already wrote two memoirs about himself even for no known achievement: law review editor, college prof., state senator and being a senator did not count! Now, Ms. palin's achievements at age 20 include being a teen mom, daughter of a vice presidential candidate, dancing with the star...what else? And I am expected to pay for and buy this book? Hmm.

June 21, 2011 10:24 pm at 10:24 pm |
  15. Jack in Florida

A joke....a 20 year old with a memoir. She hasn't done anything but dance and have an iillegitimate child.....how many pages can that take up?? Talk about doing anything for money!!!

June 21, 2011 10:26 pm at 10:26 pm |
  16. seriously???

Okay, my bad for even clicking on this article, but a book?? There's someone who would want to read this incredibly average "memoir" of a 20yr old nobody??? Lord, take me now. I am ready.

June 21, 2011 10:30 pm at 10:30 pm |
  17. sunsohot

another Palin book....oh joy

June 21, 2011 10:37 pm at 10:37 pm |
  18. Moe NY

Drama Queen...do not care ...go spread your drama elsewhere. Speaking for myself, you are a total bore.

June 21, 2011 10:37 pm at 10:37 pm |
  19. independent voter

Really? who cares?????

June 21, 2011 10:38 pm at 10:38 pm |
  20. Ilene

Another Palin work of fiction!!!!

June 21, 2011 10:46 pm at 10:46 pm |
  21. runner305

Since she's alot like her mother, believe about 2% of what she says in her book, and I'm being generous here!

June 21, 2011 10:46 pm at 10:46 pm |
  22. skibum

I guess with HER family she couldn't imagine someone doing something nice without a quid pro quo

June 21, 2011 10:49 pm at 10:49 pm |
  23. ThinkAgain

"To make up for it, he showered Bristol with gifts, including Coach purses, Abercrombie clothing, and designer rain boots."

Coach purses? Did she ever wonder where this teenage kid was getting all the money for these expensive gifts? I know that some of these purses are fairly inexpensive, but most sell in the couple hundred dollar range.

And where was the "mama grizzly" during all this? Didn't she notice that her daughter was upset, receiving expensive gifts and finally, pregnant?

I am SO SICK of this trashy family! How anyone in the world can look up to them is beyond me ... Unless, of course, their dream in life is to be a talent-less "celebrity" with enough hubris to con people out of their hard-earned money ...

June 21, 2011 10:56 pm at 10:56 pm |
  24. Former Republican, now an Independent

This family will do anything for publicity and even the real news networks fall for it. Come on CNN, cover some real people with real news.

June 21, 2011 10:58 pm at 10:58 pm |
  25. TM

How, exactly, is being granted fame and probably fortune based not on her abilities, or any real achievements but rather on being the child of a dubious political "celebrity" makes her "life story" interesting or relevant?

For that matter, what 20 year old ANYWHERE is worthy of that kind of attention?

At best her life is a cautionary tale of the results of bad parenting. Whatever "family values" Sarah Palin claims to support she obviously failed in passing them along to her own children.

June 21, 2011 11:01 pm at 11:01 pm |