Bristol Palin's memoir hits stores
June 21st, 2011

Bristol Palin's memoir hits stores

(CNN) - At 20-years-old, Bristol Palin already has a memoir. In her tell-all book, titled "Not Afraid Of Life: My Journey So Far," which hit shelves Tuesday, the oldest daughter of former vice presidential candidate Sarah Palin dishes on pregnancy to politics.

The memoir details Bristol's unplanned, teenage pregnancy, her days on the 2008 campaign trail with the McCains, and her on-again, off-again relationship with Levi Johnston, the father of her child. (Levi has his own book set to release this fall.)

Bristol starts off her story with the night her virginity was "stolen" by Johnston, saying she had succumbed for the first time in her life to the "woozy charms" of wine coolers while on a camping trip with friends. She woke up the following morning next to Johnston's empty sleeping bag in a tent and found out that the two had slept together–an event, she writes, she couldn't recall.

"I could tell by the evidence in the tent that all of my plans, my promises, and my moral standards had disappeared in one awful night in a series of bad decisions," Bristol writes, concluding that she immediately felt obligated to marry Johnston, a boy she had a crush on since the seventh grade.

Bristol recounts her older brother, Track, growing furious when overhearing on the phone what his sister had done with Johnston. Track allegedly stormed off to Johnston's house, seemingly determined to settle the matter violently.

"Let's just say Track was an 'abstinence only' advocate when it came to his sisters, and he was ready to enforce that philosophy with his fists," Bristol writes, although she doesn't fully disclose what happened at Johnston's house.

The book describes Johnston as a disloyal boyfriend who had "occasional romps with other girls."

To make up for it, he showered Bristol with gifts, including Coach purses, Abercrombie clothing, and designer rain boots. In return, she forgave Johnston and started sleeping with him again with the hope that he would stop cheating.

"It was part 'thank you,' part 'security deposit," she writes.

Later, Bristol, who was 17 at the time, realized she was one month pregnant–a fact confirmed by the eight home pregnancy tests she bought with her friend. Bristol was shocked by the results, claiming she had been on birth control.

And her boyfriend's alleged response? The baby "better be a f****** boy."

Her book also features stories about the 2008 presidential race, including drama between Bristol and Meghan McCain, the daughter of Arizona Sen. John McCain.

Bristol described Meghan as a demanding diva who constantly complained and compared her family to the Palins. The book also reveals moments of Meghan being openly rude to campaign staff and family.

Meghan responded on Twitter to Bristol's accusations Tuesday with a link to a video from 2008 that shows her excited about her father's choice for vice president.

And in the book, Meghan's mother, Cindy McCain, had her own words of comfort for Bristol. While waiting for John McCain to arrive at a Minneapolis airport for the 2008 Republican convention, Cindy pulled Bristol aside on the tarmac to have a little chat, the book said.

"Bristol, I have three things I want to tell you," she said. "I just want you to know that I want to be one of the first people to hold your baby. Also, I want to go to your wedding when it comes together, and lastly, [...] John and I want to be godparents of your child."

Bristol was left speechless by their conversation.

"I had just met her, and I wondered why she wanted any type of guardianship over my child," Bristol writes.

Filed under: Bristol Palin • Sarah Palin
  1. 4cause

Like her mom.... anything to make money! Won't be surprised that it's a pop-up book.... either way would have to have a lot of pictures for her kind of fans to try to understand.

June 22, 2011 12:30 am at 12:30 am |
  2. sofia

I bet she's sharing the profit with her ghost writer. Because frankly she's not that smart to write a book by herself Tell me again whats unique in her story from other unwed teenage mother that MTV has been exploiting in their show; 16 and Pregnant. Was it because she has Sarah Palin for a mother and they are hawking the Republican brand of "Family Values" the Hypocrite way.
    BY THE WAY SHE LOOKS THIRTY FIVE WITH HER NEW FACE.

June 22, 2011 12:31 am at 12:31 am |
  3. Howard

However unfair it may sound, why do I have a hard time assuming Bristol is telling the whole truth?

June 22, 2011 12:35 am at 12:35 am |
  4. telemander

These stories always remind me how great it is to have a classy family in the White House. I could never imagine the Obamas stooping to this.

June 22, 2011 12:38 am at 12:38 am |
  5. leonard

how it hits the bookstores with a loud thud. i have had more interestings happen to me in my life (54) than she has in her very short llife. her personal and professional(short) failures should not profited from.

June 22, 2011 12:46 am at 12:46 am |
  6. brako

poor kid, what she made of herself now.

June 22, 2011 12:48 am at 12:48 am |
  7. Tim

I don't know anything about Bristol Palin, but I can't believe I'm saying this, but I wish my mother was famous for being a crazy, hateful idiot, so I could write a book, appear on TV shows and essentially do nothing and make a bunch of money. Used to, people could leech off their parents fame that actually earned it, now it's a line of do-nothing people. Maybe she's better than her mother (apparently she can at least write? That's a start!)

June 22, 2011 12:52 am at 12:52 am |
  8. Drew Williams

Can't she save this craap for her diary?

June 22, 2011 12:55 am at 12:55 am |
  9. daniel

Another bookj I won't be buying or reading. Who cares about reading about a hussy, masquerading as a family values person.

June 22, 2011 01:03 am at 1:03 am |
  10. Evil Hollywood Liberal

So Levi Johnston is such a bad guy, but Bristol said "Come on in, Sport! We're gonna make a baby!" Wonderful example for young women of how to make intelligent life choices.......

June 22, 2011 01:25 am at 1:25 am |
  11. Itzee the cat

If Bristol' lies, makes it sounds like it always not her fault, and every bodys picking on me in her book, as good as her mom did in her two (2) books then Bristols book should be called "The Unbelievable". I am proud of her for not being a QUITTER and happy that she is making some money. I do feel sorry for the child, both of them.

June 22, 2011 01:27 am at 1:27 am |
  12. logic in LA

The media laughs at people for their fascination with pseudo celebrity, yet it glamorizes people like this unremarkable, unwed mother who is only in the spotlight because of her mother.
    What is sad is, conservative will make this a best seller strictly because of her last name. I guess this is their way of stimulating the economy.

June 22, 2011 01:41 am at 1:41 am |
  13. Denverdriver

It is a sad commentary on today's celebrity-obsessed masses that a nothing whose only claim to fame is that she is an unwed mother and the daughter of a loud-mouthed know nothing political celebrity, will probably be able to cash in for a few million dollars on the aforementioned qualifications by having a book ghost written for her.

June 22, 2011 01:45 am at 1:45 am |
  14. Barbara

Yikes. A good "christian girl" gets her revenge. A nice family rememberance for her son.

June 22, 2011 01:45 am at 1:45 am |
  15. Dare2Dream

She is as looney as her mother. We already knew that Levi was not seeing you for your brain, you didn't have to write a book to prove the point!

June 22, 2011 01:55 am at 1:55 am |
  16. ITALIAN NONNO

What next?... her three year old son Tripp, will have his memoirs written in the form of a coloring book. These Palins are avaricious people, scamming suckers out of their money.

June 22, 2011 02:13 am at 2:13 am |
  17. Meg

I don't think she needs to publish a memoir. She's a year older than me and there is nothing she can teach me. Unlike her, relying on her mother's career and using her teenage pregnancy to get 15 minutes of fame, people her age are getting college degrees and doing real work. She can preach abstinence all she wants but at the end of the day she didn't do it. Which is what people call a hypocrite. She can trash Meghan McCain all she wants but at the end of the day at least Meghan has a real career and is doing something in life. Instead of making a living by trashing her ex, McCains, media, etc.

June 22, 2011 02:51 am at 2:51 am |
  18. Jay

Oh, great. Now we have the uneducated child of the "history" expert writing a book. Who wrote it for her? I doubt she can possibly write a note to school let alone a book! It's all about $$$$. Anybody who pays for her garbage needs to have his/her head examined.

June 22, 2011 03:01 am at 3:01 am |
  19. Calvin

I do not know who would spend $10 for this stupid book or her ex. boyfriend's.

June 22, 2011 03:09 am at 3:09 am |
  20. Reginald Denny

Wait a sec. Bristol Palin is literate? HALLUCININE!

June 22, 2011 04:13 am at 4:13 am |
  21. joyost

So if she was a virgin when she had sex for her first time with Johnston, how come she was on birth control? So she was already sexually active, or at the very least, planning on having sex. Nice for her son, and everyone else, to learn later he's the result of Mommy getting drunk out in the woods. The kid's has lots of teasing awaiting him when he goes to school.

June 22, 2011 05:13 am at 5:13 am |
  22. maeve

So a girl gets knocked up by a loser boyfriend, her mom doesn't get the job she wants and quits the job she has, and her father lives off his wife's income. Why are we supposed to want to read about this? Take away McCain's past flirtation and the resultant bank account balance of mama Palin, and this is a common tale that would get no notice whatsoever. I won't be buying the book.

June 22, 2011 05:36 am at 5:36 am |
  23. Dawn

I am so tired of the Palin's bull, I agree with Mrs. Bush commit, "I hope she goes back to Alaska and stays."

June 22, 2011 06:20 am at 6:20 am |
  24. Shannon

This country has sunk so low, when people like this trashy woman is relevant. Her family is always feuding with someone, always lying about something,but above all else, they are always peddling themselves to make a buck. They have no shame, and they certainly have no class. Instead of getting plastic surgery to try to improve her looks, perhaps she should seek counceling to try to improve her personality.

June 22, 2011 06:28 am at 6:28 am |
  25. NATHAN WIMBERLY

It will sell like her mom's books,very few . Snookie Palin needs to stop dithering. Run Snookie Palin run!

June 22, 2011 06:31 am at 6:31 am |