Bristol Palin's memoir hits stores
June 21st, 2011

Bristol Palin's memoir hits stores

(CNN) - At 20-years-old, Bristol Palin already has a memoir. In her tell-all book, titled "Not Afraid Of Life: My Journey So Far," which hit shelves Tuesday, the oldest daughter of former vice presidential candidate Sarah Palin dishes on pregnancy to politics.

The memoir details Bristol's unplanned, teenage pregnancy, her days on the 2008 campaign trail with the McCains, and her on-again, off-again relationship with Levi Johnston, the father of her child. (Levi has his own book set to release this fall.)

Bristol starts off her story with the night her virginity was "stolen" by Johnston, saying she had succumbed for the first time in her life to the "woozy charms" of wine coolers while on a camping trip with friends. She woke up the following morning next to Johnston's empty sleeping bag in a tent and found out that the two had slept together–an event, she writes, she couldn't recall.

"I could tell by the evidence in the tent that all of my plans, my promises, and my moral standards had disappeared in one awful night in a series of bad decisions," Bristol writes, concluding that she immediately felt obligated to marry Johnston, a boy she had a crush on since the seventh grade.

Bristol recounts her older brother, Track, growing furious when overhearing on the phone what his sister had done with Johnston. Track allegedly stormed off to Johnston's house, seemingly determined to settle the matter violently.

"Let's just say Track was an 'abstinence only' advocate when it came to his sisters, and he was ready to enforce that philosophy with his fists," Bristol writes, although she doesn't fully disclose what happened at Johnston's house.

The book describes Johnston as a disloyal boyfriend who had "occasional romps with other girls."

To make up for it, he showered Bristol with gifts, including Coach purses, Abercrombie clothing, and designer rain boots. In return, she forgave Johnston and started sleeping with him again with the hope that he would stop cheating.

"It was part 'thank you,' part 'security deposit," she writes.

Later, Bristol, who was 17 at the time, realized she was one month pregnant–a fact confirmed by the eight home pregnancy tests she bought with her friend. Bristol was shocked by the results, claiming she had been on birth control.

And her boyfriend's alleged response? The baby "better be a f****** boy."

Her book also features stories about the 2008 presidential race, including drama between Bristol and Meghan McCain, the daughter of Arizona Sen. John McCain.

Bristol described Meghan as a demanding diva who constantly complained and compared her family to the Palins. The book also reveals moments of Meghan being openly rude to campaign staff and family.

Meghan responded on Twitter to Bristol's accusations Tuesday with a link to a video from 2008 that shows her excited about her father's choice for vice president.

And in the book, Meghan's mother, Cindy McCain, had her own words of comfort for Bristol. While waiting for John McCain to arrive at a Minneapolis airport for the 2008 Republican convention, Cindy pulled Bristol aside on the tarmac to have a little chat, the book said.

"Bristol, I have three things I want to tell you," she said. "I just want you to know that I want to be one of the first people to hold your baby. Also, I want to go to your wedding when it comes together, and lastly, [...] John and I want to be godparents of your child."

Bristol was left speechless by their conversation.

"I had just met her, and I wondered why she wanted any type of guardianship over my child," Bristol writes.

Filed under: Bristol Palin • Sarah Palin
  1. Bill

Typical thinking of a "victim" personality. I am not responsible for all of the bad things that happen in my life, someone else is.
    I guess the apple really does not fall far from the tree. Who would read this book, unless you buy the story about someone getting me drunk, I don't remember the sex and oh, er, I was on birth control.

June 22, 2011 07:49 am at 7:49 am |
  2. Clwyd

If she is anything like her mother, Heaven forbid, it will be a best seller as a comic book! The whole family is dysfunctional!

June 22, 2011 07:50 am at 7:50 am |
  3. Don

This sounds like a script for afternoon soap operas. It is so trite, yet so unbelievable that it could easily be written-off as fiction. How sad that it is not only non-fiction, but that these people have any influence whatsoever on our national discourse.

June 22, 2011 07:55 am at 7:55 am |
  4. revionist history

is alive and well in the tea party! i bet that kid has paul revere dna.

June 22, 2011 07:56 am at 7:56 am |
  5. skorpeo

once again, the palin family line is "not MY fault. my virginity was STOLEN!" that's called "rape", so why didn't you call the cops?

June 22, 2011 01:50 pm at 1:50 pm |
  6. tstorm

Yes, Bristol, your virginity was "stolen". You had nothing to do with it.... right!

June 22, 2011 01:51 pm at 1:51 pm |
  7. allen

The nut certainly didn't fall far from that family tree...

June 22, 2011 01:52 pm at 1:52 pm |
  8. Michael in Houston

The Palins are ALL running a scam across America and everyone of you who buy this garbage and that of her mother are idiots. Everyone of you who support Palins run for office are nothing more then irresponsible and ignorant. This family is nothing but a pack of scam artists.

June 22, 2011 01:54 pm at 1:54 pm |
  9. jim

The Palins are the silliest, most dysfunctional family I have ever been exposed to.I guess people watch their antics for the same reason they look at train wrecks.

June 22, 2011 01:55 pm at 1:55 pm |
  10. Jaywing

Why is this here CNN? Really? REALLY? The Palins are nothing more than egotistic publicity seekers. Put such crap in your enterainment section and file it under "Celebrity Delusions".

June 22, 2011 01:56 pm at 1:56 pm |
  11. Joshua

What a joke! The little fluzzie (that's what they called them in my days) was on birth control but had her "Virginity Stolen"??????????????????????? At her age she needs to learn how to read (not a strong family virtue with the Palins), write and above all – pee straight! A 20 years old writing a "Memoir"????? I wander how many dumb republicans will line up to buy the book and get her autograph.

June 22, 2011 01:57 pm at 1:57 pm |
  12. Bill

She needs a better plastic surgeon.

June 22, 2011 01:58 pm at 1:58 pm |
  13. cheryl

I was looking at her picture and i said, "OMG" what had she done to her face...all those lipo and lip silicone...she looks like a swollen-faced pig...looks ugly. She entirely changed her appearance...for the worst. No way she can compare herself to Kardashian (as she is trying hard to do)...no way jose!!!!

About the "stolen" virginity...come on...what a hypocrite. Am a wine cooler drinker so you cannot make it an excuse and say you don't remember anything. I've been in this world for almost 59 years, and you cannot fool someone like me. You liked "it" from the very beginning, and...repeated several times more as that's what you really wanted in the first place, okay!!?!?! Levi did not "steal" your virginity...you gave it away willingly...period.

Lastly, i would not spend even a penny to buy your "DIARY." I would rather use the dollars to get my Starbucks.

ACT LIKE A REAL 20-YEAR OLD...(with your amassed wealth from DWTS and now that diary writing), go to school, get an education to better yourself as a single mom.

June 22, 2011 01:59 pm at 1:59 pm |
  14. Jeff

You might be a redneck if you've ever had to climb a watertower to defend your sister's honor. jeff foxworthy.These people never cease to amaze me. How awesome is Levi Johnston? The stuff he's been able to get away with. It better be a boy? LOL LOL LOL. This guy is unbelievable. This stuff only happens in the movies.

June 22, 2011 01:59 pm at 1:59 pm |
  15. evd

always someone else's fault . . . i thought one of the major tenants of abstinence and the GOP was personal responsibility.

June 22, 2011 01:59 pm at 1:59 pm |
  16. DumbasRocks [R]s

Is she another one of the [R] primary hopefuls? Might as well.... She's got no less brains than the baffoons already running.

June 22, 2011 02:02 pm at 2:02 pm |
  17. dgmgdm

she wrote the lie she had to tell her dumb conservative parents into the book she had written for her. its like she is being punished for screwing up her moms campaign. so creepy the fame ore w family.

June 22, 2011 02:03 pm at 2:03 pm |
  18. queenB

I love the Palins and am looking forward to reading the book!!

June 22, 2011 02:03 pm at 2:03 pm |
  19. Keith

I wonder which political advisers helped with the careful spin in the book. With the pregnancy, it was probably pretty easy. "Let's just expand upon the lie you told your parents about how you got pregnant because you were afraid of what they'd do if you told the truth."

She bought the pregnancy tests with her FRIEND? Why not with her mother? It's pretty clear she didn't feel comfortable talking to her mother about it. Sarah is a failed mother.

And then there's how her political advisors helped her spin the reasons why she continued hopping into bed with Johnston. "Oh, it was entirely for virtuous reasons." Oh puhhhleeese!!

At least the country has the Obamas to look to for family values.

June 22, 2011 02:04 pm at 2:04 pm |
  20. Not 4 Real

Oh mercy me. This such a terribly sad story of Innocence Betrayed. How could our Good Lord and Savior Jesus Christ allow such terrible things to happen to such good, honest and holy people?

I simply can not wait to buy the book and pig wallow in all her deliciously detailed smut. I just love other people's dirty laundry. It makes me feel so normal, so clean, so gosh darn clever, you bet 'cha! Just wish she included more pictures; lots and lots of pictures with no words.

June 22, 2011 02:05 pm at 2:05 pm |
  21. Josh

I have but one thing to say about this article and anyone insane enough to waste their time reading her book, and I turn to a quote from a favorite movie of mine:

"At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul."

June 22, 2011 02:06 pm at 2:06 pm |
  22. california girl

You really are an extension of your mom...liar, hypocrite, attention-hungry, and...very 'UNGRATEFUL."

You have the nerve to say negative comments about the McCains. Without John McCain, you and your mom and the whole clan are still the "unknowns" in Alaska. There is no comparison between apples and oranges...the McCains are the "class act" in every way and the Palins are the opposites.

June 22, 2011 02:08 pm at 2:08 pm |
  23. Timmy

I don't know what is more pathetically self involved, a memoir from Bristol Palin at 20 or two memoirs from Barack Obama at 30. Neither had held a real job or done anything but become media whores. When society collapses from both sides at once, it's called imploding and is caused by a great vacuum in the middle. Just my opinion, I could be wrong...

June 22, 2011 02:09 pm at 2:09 pm |
  24. Before and After

A lot of things not adding up here.
    Had wine coolers and couldn't remeber anything the next day?
    Took an abstinence pledge and was on birth control?
    Who takes birth control without the intension oif having sex?
    'Took him back' after he bought her expensive gifts, continued having sex as a way of saying 'thank you' and as a security deposit on their relationship? Those are her values? In effect, doesn't that make her a prostitute?
    Her brother required strict abstenence from his sisters? Nothing about for himself?

How did this happen? was it a dirth of family values or parental neglect in her upbringing. Clearly there were some basic distinctions between right and wrong on so many topics that are absent from this woman's upbringing.

June 22, 2011 02:09 pm at 2:09 pm |
  25. Gail

She kept having sex with Levi for 'expensive gifts'. Hmmmm.....sex for gifts/money??? And what do we call THAT, boys and girls? Prostitution!

June 22, 2011 02:10 pm at 2:10 pm |