Top Dem picks Huntsman
June 21st, 2011

Top Dem picks Huntsman

Washington (CNN) – Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid ventured into the 2012 presidential waiting game Tuesday, offering up his pick for the Republican presidential nomination.

"If I had a choice, I would favor Huntsman over Romney," Reid told reporters after a meeting on Capitol Hill. "But I don't have a choice in that race."

When asked if the country is ready for a Mormon president, the Nevada senator said they are not ready for Mitt Romney. Reid, former Utah Gov. Jon Huntsman and Romney are all members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

"I think the frontrunner in the Republican stakes now, here is a man who doesn't know who he is," Reid said of Romney.

The Nevada Democrat pointed to Romney's positions on gay marriage, abortion and health care as signs the former Massachusetts governor has flip-flopped on his positions.

"We modeled our bill to a large degree about what he did in Massachusetts. Now he is trying to run from that," Reid said, referencing the health care reform bill Romney signed as governor. "If someone doesn't know who they are they shouldn't be president of the United States."

Filed under: 2012 • Harry Reid • Jon Huntsman • Mitt Romney
  1. janelle

Gotta love how the democratic blame game continues....now, Obamacare is Romney's fault, because the dems just copied what he did first!

June 21, 2011 05:43 pm at 5:43 pm |
  2. Dreamer96

The year of the Momons has arrived, all thoses years of collecting information as insiders in D.C. is becoming in pretty handing now. Almost makes you wonder if the church keeps a tape recorder running during confessional, don't it.

June 21, 2011 05:44 pm at 5:44 pm |
  3. Greg Hill

Somehow I do not think that Senator Reid's endorsement will help Jon Huntsman much. I hope Jon drops out early this year, because President Obama is my man. But if Huntsman runs in 2016, I would seriously consider him. He is a good person, and wise, and positive campaigning is his style.

June 21, 2011 05:50 pm at 5:50 pm |
  4. Palin Power

Huntsman and Romney will never ever be President. At the end of the day, Sarah Palin will become our next and greatest President. Only she has the power to completely fix this whole mess and make America great again.

June 21, 2011 06:13 pm at 6:13 pm |
  5. Keith

I rather like this approach. Romney has already shown himself to be too much of a Democrat, and Democrats give a glowing endorsement to Huntsman. Nice sneaky shot at both of them.

Huntsman seems to be the only GOP candidate in the ring so far who doesn't carry too much neocon stink with him, and he might be acceptable to a lot of people in the general election. Certainly his campaign announcement remarks were refreshingly mature for a GOP candidate. He set himself clearly apart from the other candidates by not immediately launching into whining about how Obama won in 2008. The question is whether he can win the GOP primary without having the neocon stink about him.

The other GOP candidates are using the "red meat" approach of "I'm blaming Obama for everything, just don't ask me if I have a plan myself". Huntsman grabbed the high ground by skipping the "I'm blaming Obama for everything" childishness. So far Huntsman is coming off as an adult while all the other GOP candidates are coming across as children crying that Obama stole their candy.

June 21, 2011 06:15 pm at 6:15 pm |
  6. blake

Duh! Republicans, wake up. This is not a good thing. Don't be stupid again (like we were in 2008) and let the Democrats pick our nominee.

June 21, 2011 06:17 pm at 6:17 pm |
  7. Proud member of "Global Zero"

Still President Obama will win a second term. Just ask my Republican husband. He will not vote for anyone against this President. Though not all happy with decisions....he is still the best out of the 2012 candidates. He hates when people do business with Iran....which Huntsman's family did.

June 21, 2011 06:17 pm at 6:17 pm |
  8. jfb

why would anyone care what harry thinks of a republican? he clearly hates them all just because they live.

June 21, 2011 06:24 pm at 6:24 pm |
  9. Anthony

Charles W. Skinner,

You failed to explain what were the good things taken out of Romney's plan and what was the bad stuff added in Obama's plan. The individual mandate is in both plans. The reason for the individual mandate is that the young and healthy must be forced to buy insurance. They make insurance more affordable for the rest of us, just like the fact that good drivers make auto insurance more affordable for the rest of us. Why? Because insurance companies do not need to pay claims for the good drivers. All of the premiums from the good drivers go into the pocket of insurance companies. Similarly, the young and healthy do not need health care so they are the best customers for insurance companies. Without the young and healthy in the pool, insurance premiums would become even more unaffordable for people who actually need insurance. In other words, Romney's plan would work better when there are more people in the pool. It would work better in California or Texas than in Massachusetts.

June 21, 2011 06:30 pm at 6:30 pm |
  10. Thats a good one

LOL.. First Pres. Obama.. now Harry Reid..

The Dems are doing everything they can to align themselves with Huntsman.. or should I say, Huntsman with them..

Huntsman is the one they fear the most.. they know the best way to discredit him in the eyes of GOP primary voters is align him with Democrats..

June 21, 2011 06:36 pm at 6:36 pm |
  11. George

Huntsman will never be president and neither will Romney. This whole discussion is a waste of time.

June 21, 2011 06:43 pm at 6:43 pm |
  12. dreamer96

Looks like this is going to be the year of the Mormons.

June 21, 2011 06:46 pm at 6:46 pm |
  13. cobra

Only the stupid would vote for Huntsman.

June 21, 2011 07:00 pm at 7:00 pm |
  14. Carol

No to Huntsman, they cheated my family just lied to the courts to do so.
    I say NO to corruption.
    Carol
    colorado

June 21, 2011 07:01 pm at 7:01 pm |
  15. carmelle

I really don't what got into Huntsman to make him think it was the round to fight in. Above all, I find that very intriguing. I can't imagine the GOP begging him to given the rise of the TP.

Unless they chose him already and the their base will have no say in the process.

June 21, 2011 07:10 pm at 7:10 pm |
  16. Alex

He endorsed him because he knows he has the best shot of beating Obama and he wants to make him look bad in front of more reactionary right wing primary voters. It's a calculated political move.

June 21, 2011 07:38 pm at 7:38 pm |
  17. Debby

Oh Harry you only wish its him so Obama won't have to work hard in his campaign.

June 21, 2011 07:56 pm at 7:56 pm |
  18. ThinkAgain

Huntsman stabbed President Obama in the back with his candidacy. Besides his idiotic adherence to the GOP's economic, military and foreign policies – all of which are PROVEN FAILURES – I don't trust him as far as I can throw him ...

June 21, 2011 08:03 pm at 8:03 pm |
  19. Tony

Well that pretty much is all I need to know. If Harry likes him, he'll never get a vote from me.

June 21, 2011 08:11 pm at 8:11 pm |
  20. Larry L

Any reasonable person would pick Huntsman over any of the Republicans. Huntsman is more like President Obama than the others! Sadly, not being a bigoted corporate prostitute will likely prevent him from getting the nomination. He also seems to be able to compromise and behave in a civil manner. That sort of stuff will never work for the Tea Party wackos.

June 21, 2011 08:19 pm at 8:19 pm |
  21. Ben in LA

Huntsman in the hunt. Makes it interesting. Does he split the "sensible Republican" vote with Romney and grant Bachmann the nod? Just maybe...

June 21, 2011 08:21 pm at 8:21 pm |
  22. Thankfully Independent

Hope Harry understands that if the election is between Obama and Huntsman, Obama would not get my vote this time.

June 21, 2011 08:23 pm at 8:23 pm |
  23. dary

I can appreciate that Larry Reid (The Cable Guy) is just trying to support an unknown candidate just to make sure that Obama will stay in power for a second term....!

June 21, 2011 09:04 pm at 9:04 pm |
  24. roscoe

I would think Reid would support the all mormon ticket of Huntsman and Romney over the bat crap ticket of Palin and Bachmann.

June 21, 2011 09:04 pm at 9:04 pm |
  25. Dennis

Wow, Harry Reid endorsed Huntsman! That settles it. Nothing like a Harry Reid endorsement for a Republican to settle it. Thanks, CNN, for this superb news article. You sure put the nail in his political coffin.

June 21, 2011 09:08 pm at 9:08 pm |