Huntsman opens Florida campaign office
June 24th, 2011

Huntsman opens Florida campaign office

ORLANDO, Florida (CNN) - Republican presidential candidate Jon Huntsman has opened his campaign office in the battle ground state of Florida.

After announcing his candidacy Tuesday, Huntsman the former Utah governor and the former ambassador to China, along with his wife Mary Kaye, cut a ribbon to signify the official opening of the Huntsman for President campaign headquarters' in downtown Orlando Thursday afternoon.

Huntsman said his wife - an Orlando native - was one reason he chose Orlando for his headquarters, though campaign strategy Huntsman said, "it's critically important."

Home to the "I-4 corridor" an area in the central region of the Florida that runs along Interstate 4 from Tampa to Daytona where people do not vote along party lines unlike the rest of the state.

"You have to win the I-4 corridor to be competitive beyond Florida so obviously that will be part of our focus. So having our campaign headquarters here is critically part of our strategy," said Huntsman to CNN.

The room was filled with friends, neighbors and classmates of Mary Kaye who grew up in Orlando.

"I always wanted to come back to Orlando," said Mary Kaye Huntsman. "Jon didn't know what to get me for my 50th birthday, so he said how about opening an office in Orlando."

Huntsman told the crowd his campaign would be focused on jobs, running a civil campaign by not putting down anyone and engaging the youth.

Talking to the young attendees Huntsman said, "Your going to be the recipients of every thing we do and the decisions that are made. We want to get you involved."

The candidate with salt and pepper hair said opening the first Republican presidential campaign headquarters in Florida was, "cool."

Part of his campaign's strategy to win said Huntsman is to "Start in New Hampshire and win it's way through South Carolina, and then we are going to come here."

The candidate was surrounded by five of their seven children including their young adopted daughter Asha from India who appeared to be taking notes of what her father was saying like the other reporters in the room.

Filed under: 2012 • Florida • Jon Huntsman
  1. Proud member of "Global Zero"

Office or no office...this state will go for President Obama. Just ask my republican husband. He is one of those 1/5 that will not vote for Huntsman.

June 24, 2011 09:31 am at 9:31 am |
  2. John

REALLY!!! I just moved down here... there goes the neighboorhood...

June 24, 2011 09:32 am at 9:32 am |
  3. bbb

Only better to nix their medicare with! Florida seniors, you have a wolf in thousand dollar suits in your midst. If you value your security – kick this guy to the curb.

June 24, 2011 09:38 am at 9:38 am |
  4. sue

Vote Republican for Prosperity for the Rick and well to do.........or vote Democrat for Properity for all......at least the elderly and the middle class won't be kicked to the curb.........

June 24, 2011 10:00 am at 10:00 am |
  5. denice

You could,nt have picked a better place to get applause! Your co-hort fellow Teapee Rick Scott will help you kill Medicare,since Gov. Scott scammed Billions from Medicare? He does,nt need Medicare now,he got what he wanted from Americans Taxes. Common Florida,use common sense? American Sense!!!!

June 24, 2011 10:01 am at 10:01 am |
  6. gt

economist h.gold is calling for a double dip recession next yr... housing start are at a critical low... job report dismall... if obama doesnt get things going .....,huntsman can open a office in chicago .....

June 24, 2011 10:03 am at 10:03 am |
  7. Chedar

Huntsman 2012

June 24, 2011 10:06 am at 10:06 am |
  8. Tim from CT

Huntsman might be the only genuine person running for President in 2012. I really hope everyone gives him a chance.

June 24, 2011 10:14 am at 10:14 am |
  9. Bob in PA

Amazing to what lengths the media will go to hype this guy. You all do not get to select the canidates, the people do and in this case, the registered Republican Voters do.

June 24, 2011 10:21 am at 10:21 am |
  10. ConservaFASCISTS

I'm skeptical of a guy whose name is literally what it means. HUNTS-MAN. I think I'll pass. I already have a U.S. House hunting me, my mother, my father, grandma, grandpa, my SSI, my Medicare, etc.

OBAMA/BIDEN 2012