Democrats push DREAM Act despite Republican opposition
June 28th, 2011

Democrats push DREAM Act despite Republican opposition

Washington (CNN) – Ola Kaso, who was born in Albania and came to America at the age of 5, described her predicament in a Senate hearing Tuesday.

"Despite my compliance with the law, there's no way I can achieve citizenship," said Kaso, now 18 and ready to start college in the fall at the University of Michigan. "Despite aspirations and hard work, I face deportation in one year."In short, she said, "I am a DREAM Act student."

FULL STORY

Filed under: Democrats • DREAM act • House
  1. Sniffit

"and to the best of my knowledge the American dream has never been an exclusive dream that only some people can share."

That, my dear Ms. Feinstein, is because up until now, it wasn't widely known or talked about that white people would be losing their majority status in a couple decades.

Queue GOPers admitting that's what is at the heart of the issue by yammering about this being nothing more than an attempt by Dems to get more votes. Yeah...2 + 2 DOES equal 4. See, when you say immigrant, the first thing that pops into a GOPer's mind is a brown person and they assume that all brown people vote Dem. If they were smart, they wouldn't have spent several decades alienating "brown people"...so instead they now have to shift all power and influence over our elections and government to the rich and corporations and away from the rapidly "browning" masses.

June 28, 2011 05:00 pm at 5:00 pm |
  2. gt

dream act is doa as it is written,,, this is politcal ....

June 28, 2011 05:23 pm at 5:23 pm |
  3. S. In California - Obama 2012

I am voting for the president but I am against the DREAM Act. Those who break the law (children or not) should NOT be permitted to stay here. Who is going to pay for this eduction? We simply cannot aide everyone who wants to leave their country. Get here LEGALLY or STAY home. NO to the DREAM Act.

June 28, 2011 05:28 pm at 5:28 pm |
  4. once upon a horse

weren't there some Republicans that were in FAVOR of this act? Oh yeah I forgot Obama is in favor of it also so they just had to flip/flop on it. The Republican saying since 2009.."That was then, this is NOW!"

June 28, 2011 05:43 pm at 5:43 pm |
  5. Republicans - The "Not Intended To Be Factually Accurate" Party

Well said Sniffit. BTW, it is clear from some responses to your posts that you've been hitting a nerver or two. Keep on hammering away with facts, logic and sound reasoning. Cut off the ring and gutpunch the pretenders.

June 28, 2011 05:54 pm at 5:54 pm |
  6. GI Joe

The republicans don't care about human beings -- they worship big business and wall street $$$$$.

June 28, 2011 06:14 pm at 6:14 pm |
  7. Albo58

As a Republican, I have no problem with fast tracking citizenship for a foreign person honorably serving our military. However, I draw the line at an illegal alien in our colleges (and 90%+ of the time on our dime) getting ANYTHING! Nor the 20+ dependents of that said student! Our Constitution is only applicable to OUR citiens so NEVER quote from it to determine NON-Americans' rights!

June 28, 2011 07:25 pm at 7:25 pm |
  8. George W Evans

The GOP/Tea Party/Party of No!?! These people are holding America back (Locally, Generally & Nationally) due to their intolerants. They need to be voted out of any political say-what-so-ever! Have no (Political) SAY!!! America can then...move on!!!

June 28, 2011 08:34 pm at 8:34 pm |
  9. duckbutter

some ideas are good.. if you serve in the military heck yes they should be americans....

June 28, 2011 08:54 pm at 8:54 pm |
  10. Mike

I don't see much hope for it because a large number of Dems oppose the idea of "diluting" the labor force.

June 28, 2011 08:55 pm at 8:55 pm |