Poll: Support of gay marriage law high in NY
Revelers celebrate during the Gay Pride parade on June 26, 2011 in New York City.
June 28th, 2011

Poll: Support of gay marriage law high in NY

(CNN) – The majority of voters in New York supported the Empire State law allowing same-sex couples to marry, but divides existed among age groups and religious affiliation, according to a new poll.

The Quinnipiac Poll released Tuesday showed 54 percent of voters backed the measure that Democratic Gov. Andrew Cuomo signed into law Friday. Seventy percent of younger voters, or those under 35 years of age, supported the law, a number far exceeding the 57 percent support from those over 65 years of age.

When broken down by religion, Jewish voters supported the law by a greater margin than Catholic and Protestant voters. Jews supported it with 67 percent, Protestants with 54 percent and Catholics with 48 percent.

Voters who did not align themselves with a religion supported the measure with 78 percent.

Cuomo signed the measure after it passed a Republican-controlled Senate Friday night. The law will grant same-sex couples the right of inheritance, employer health benefits and a host of state tax benefits.

The survey of 1,317 voters was conducted before the legislation became law, from June 20 through June 26. The poll had a sampling error of plus or minus 2.7 percentage points.

Filed under: Gay rights • New York • Polls
  1. Sniffit

"There is nothing in the Constitution that says that everyone has to be treated the exact same way. The rich are taxed at a higher rate than the poor and lose a lot of tax deductions. How is that equal protection under the law?"

Please go do your homework. Equal protection jurisprudence applies different standards of scrutiny of the law in question based on the classification used. Race and gender distinctions receive "strict scrutiny," the highest level of scrutiny for a law to pass muster with respect to equal protection. Economicclass distinctions do not.

June 28, 2011 11:48 am at 11:48 am |
  2. Sniffit

"In regard to Prop.8, it remains to be seen how the Supreme Court will rule on this issue but chances are the well funded minority will do all they can to stave off that decision until the court is liberal enough for them to take a chance."

Chances are it doesn't even get there. The far greater likelihood is that the case will die because the proponents of Prop 8 who are fighting for it right now do not have standing. Bye bye well-funded hate suit.

June 28, 2011 11:50 am at 11:50 am |
  3. Inrealityhere

To Rudy- "A referendum (also known as a plebiscite or a ballot question) is a direct vote in which an entire electorate is asked to either accept or reject a particular proposal. This may result in the adoption of a new constitution, a constitutional amendment, a law, the recall of an elected official or simply a specific government policy. It is a form of direct democracy."

June 28, 2011 11:51 am at 11:51 am |
  4. RobK

"The younger generations tend to always be wiser than the older generations" You must be kidding! Time will tell. My forecast is that America will fall deeper into decadence and self vanity, following the lead of Europe and other world power before that. Perhaps China will take our place.

June 28, 2011 11:52 am at 11:52 am |
  5. a Minnesotan

Kudos to the NY Republicans that crossed over for this. I'm glad they put their constituents desires before their political careers.

June 28, 2011 11:52 am at 11:52 am |
  6. Rudy NYC

Scott in Atlanta wrote:
    Of course they do, because just like with this site, it is taboo to verbalize that you do NOT agree with it.
    ----–
    They let you post your displeasure with same sex marriage. I think I have already done so in this article. What most opponents of same sex marriage fail to realize is that their personal and moral beliefs are irrelevant. Our nation's Constitution says to keep those opinions and feelings separate. And, The Constitution has already resolved the issue to my satisfaction. There is nothing I can do about it to stop it or restrict in any way shape o form under our Constitution.

June 28, 2011 11:56 am at 11:56 am |
  7. Inrealityhere

Rudy – I did send my children to private schools and they did exceptionally well. The problem is I still have to pay tax for government schools that teach the agenda of the liberals. Evolution is still just a theory (contrary to what some would like us all to believe) so what's the problem with teaching another theory alongside it – intelligent design. I suspect many atheists would be afraid intelligent design is more believable. Hey! Just saying, present them both and let the kids decide.

June 28, 2011 11:59 am at 11:59 am |
  8. Rudy NYC

Inrealityhere wrote:
    To Rudy ..... It is a form of direct democracy.
    ------
    Go read the Article 1 of the 14th Amendment. Dictionaries do not define the foundation of our laws in the nation. The Constitution does.

June 28, 2011 12:00 pm at 12:00 pm |
  9. Inrealityhere

Sniff... Why do some cry "hate" when hate is not present (at least not in my heart) ?

June 28, 2011 12:02 pm at 12:02 pm |
  10. Dominican mama 4 Obama

Okay I'm just gonna jump in here in between the Mothership and monopoly God and just state for the record that I'm all for Gay Rights, and felt thrilled that while I visited friends and family there just this weekend they passed their right to lawfully marry in New York State.
    I looooove NY!!!
    Okay get back in the ring folks!

June 28, 2011 12:03 pm at 12:03 pm |
  11. Mikey

@ Inrealityhere – In America, you don't get to force your religious views on others. That belief was strongly held my a clear majority of the Founding Fathers and is inshrined in the U.S. Constitution, preceded by Jefferson's Virginia Statute on Religious Freedom, and validated by a unanimous vote of the U.S. Senate when they ratified the Treaty of Tripoly in 1797, as Article 11 of that document clearly states:

"As the Government of the United States of America is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion,—as it has in itself no character of enmity against the laws, religion, or tranquility, of Mussulmen,—and as the said States never entered into any war or act of hostility against any Mahometan nation, it is declared by the parties that no pretext arising from religious opinions shall ever produce an interruption of the harmony existing between the two countries."

If you stop trying to force your religiously motivated view on others, I promise no one will force you into a gay marriage. Okay?

June 28, 2011 12:03 pm at 12:03 pm |
  12. Rudy NYC

RobK wrote:
    There is no defensible reason for the government to subsidize homosexuals getting married- there is no benefit to the country.
    -----
    I agree with you. And the NY law does not subsidize anything at all. It is not a spending measure.

June 28, 2011 12:04 pm at 12:04 pm |
  13. Mikey

@RobK – You are probably right about the decline of America, but it will probably be as much a consequence of greed and selfishness as "decadence and self vanity". There are also global issues, such as advances in technology and transportation, that are driving the world toward a more level playing field. It's just reality.

June 28, 2011 12:10 pm at 12:10 pm |
  14. Sniffit

"I simply do not believe the gay lifestyle should be promoted nor gay marriage legal. No hate here. Really."

And if I'm standing on the sidewalk kicking a dog, telling you "it's not because I hate it...I love it as a fellow creature...BUT IT NEEDS TO LEARN TO BEHAVE THE WAY I WANT IT TO"...does that mean there's no hate in my heart either? Sure,there's no physical abuse involved here...it's all economic and about making sure you've insitutionalized your self-declared moral superiority into our laws such that you are a first class citizen and "they" are not. If that's no a kick to the soul, I don't know what is.

June 28, 2011 12:11 pm at 12:11 pm |
  15. Mikey

@ Inreality – should we also teach that 2 + 2 = 5 alongside 2 + 2 = 4? Sorry, evolution is accepted scientific theory. Creationism isn't even close. If you want to waste precious educational resources teaching people that the world is only 6,000 years old and man lived alongside dinosaurs like the Flintstones, don't do it with public tax dollars. And yes, you still have to support the public schools. Without good public education, we would begin to slide toward becoming a third world country.

June 28, 2011 12:18 pm at 12:18 pm |
  16. Rudy NYC

InRealityHere:
    You have failed to say whose intelligent design should be taught. I will give you benefit of the doubt because there is only one answer. None should be taught. You either teach all of them, or none of them. Evolution moved past the theory stage to accepted fact a long time ago. Even The Vatican accepts the idea that the universe is billions of years old, including the big bang, which they hold as sacred.

June 28, 2011 12:20 pm at 12:20 pm |
  17. Inrealityhere

Mikey – I'm not trying to force my view any more than you are. Just stating what I believe as you are stating what you believe. Clearly we don't agree which causes disharmony but I respect your right and ask you to respect mine.

June 28, 2011 12:20 pm at 12:20 pm |
  18. carrie

Since I live in the south most of the people I know think this is scandalous AND sinful . I on the other hand feel to each his own and the laws of equality are for all . Gays do not bother me one way or the other. Now do I understand it ?,No I do not but still feel this law is the right thing for a free and democratic country. But I guess with so many hetorsexuals living together vs marriage not sure why it is such a big deal anymore with anyone. But if a ceremony and documents make gays feel excepted , it is okay with me . I just feel very mich like fair is fair , if many nongays can live in misery so can they!!!

June 28, 2011 12:34 pm at 12:34 pm |
  19. elhazard

A simple solution: Drop the word "Marriage" out of the license name. A state-issued marriage license is nothing but a civil contract similar to a business partnership. The marriage occurs later in a church or before a justice of the peace, not in the government office that issued the license. This would leave government solely in the business of providing legal protection for two people entering a social partnership which they could call "Marriage" if they chose.

June 28, 2011 12:38 pm at 12:38 pm |
  20. Sniffit

"Evolution is still just a theory (contrary to what some would like us all to believe) so what's the problem with teaching another theory alongside it – intelligent design"

Sorry, but that's a false equivalancy/apples and oranges. Evolution is a "theory" only in the sense that it can never be proven as an absolute truth, but it is subject to repeated investigation via the scientific method, testing, evidentiary findings, data collection,e tc. It has consistently and repeatedly proven to explain objectively observed and collected data and natural phenomenon for hundreds of years without failure. Intelligent design is not subject to ANY of those things whatsoever. It is merely a thought experiment...a theory in a fact vacuum that is incapable of being tested via the scientific method or through objective observation and data collection...much like all religious beliefs. Ergo, it does not belong in a SCIENCE classroom.

June 28, 2011 12:39 pm at 12:39 pm |
  21. RobK

Homosexuality is not (and should not be) a protected category like race, gender, religion.
    The law subsidizes homosexual marriage by providing city and state resources to document the marriages and providing tax and other benefits.

June 28, 2011 12:40 pm at 12:40 pm |
  22. CN

inrealityhere–nice to see "teach the argument" fatuousness at work. chemistry is also a theory the same way evolution is... do you propose then that we teach alchemy alongside it? do you propose that prayer healing be taught alongside laparascopic surgery and pharmacology? also, since the tax exemptions constitute a government subsidy, will you allow the teaching of evolution alongside creationism in any church that gets such an exemption?

June 28, 2011 12:42 pm at 12:42 pm |
  23. RobK

Evolution is not fact. It is a theory, with strong evidential support for short term characteristic changes and weak evidential support for long term species changes.

June 28, 2011 12:43 pm at 12:43 pm |
  24. Rudy NYC

Inrealityhere wrote:
    Mikey – I'm not trying to force my view any more than you are.
    ----–
    Unfortunately, when you insist that your preferred version of creationism should be taught, exclusive of any other versions, in public schools, you are pushing your beliefs onto others.

June 28, 2011 12:43 pm at 12:43 pm |