Bachmann reveals 'devastating' miscarriage
June 29th, 2011

Bachmann reveals 'devastating' miscarriage

Rock Hill, South Carolina (CNN) - Republican presidential candidate Michele Bachmann revealed to a town hall audience Wednesday that she once suffered a “devastating” miscarriage.

Bachmann, a congresswoman from Minnesota, told the story in the course of answering a question about her position on abortion.

“After our second was born, we became pregnant with a third baby,” she said, referring to her husband, Marcus. “It was an unexpected baby, but of course we were delighted to have this child. The child was coming along and we ended up losing our child. And it was devastating to both of us, as you can imagine if any of you have lost a child.”

She told the rapt audience of 400 South Carolina voters that the experience changed her and eventually led her to raise 23 foster children along their five biological children.

“At that moment, we didn’t think of ourselves as overly career-minded or overly materialistic but when we lost that child, it changed us, and it changed us forever,” she said. “We made a commitment that no matter how many children were brought into our life, we would receive them because we are committed to life.”

On the matter of abortion, Bachmann said she is “100 percent pro-life from conception until natural death.”

Filed under: 2012 • Michele Bachmann
  1. Obama 2012

So what... many woman have suffer a miscarriage!

June 29, 2011 09:33 pm at 9:33 pm |
  2. thomas

Very personal

June 29, 2011 09:42 pm at 9:42 pm |
  3. lgny

There's nothing wrong with her belief - indeed, it's quite praiseworthy. That said, there's no need for her to force that belief on everyone else. Pro-choice is giving women the freedom to choose their path - including birth and adoption as well as abortion.

June 29, 2011 09:50 pm at 9:50 pm |
  4. Matt

As difficult as I'm sure that was for Ms. Bachmann and her family, I don't entirely see the connection between that event and her decision to oppose a woman's freedom of choice in family planning. I view this more as an attempt to garner sympathy from her support base, and it makes me question her judgment: why would a politician disclose an extremely personal, emotional event that doesn't prove a point?

June 29, 2011 10:05 pm at 10:05 pm |
  5. Rick in Az

Woe is me! Woe is me! Pity me, then vote folr me. Can this woman ever be forthright? She says publicly it was a "miscarriage". Uh huh.

June 29, 2011 10:12 pm at 10:12 pm |
  6. Get A Grip

Stay strong Michele Bachmann. These hateful loons from the left that preach they are the party of "tolerance" will do what they can to destroy you. We have your back so stay strong.

June 29, 2011 10:14 pm at 10:14 pm |
  7. bellablue

I have empathy for Mr. and Mrs. Bachmann for the loss of their beloved child. And it is fine that they decided to take in foster children. However, with the last article I have read concerning the Bachmann Mental Health Clinic, and the fact that Medicaid paid $127,000, plus some $24,000 for services rendered, I cannot help but wonder how much money the Bachmann's were paid by the State of Minnesota to care for the foster children????? Michelle Bachmann had better realize there will be NO STONE UNTURNED about her personal, business, and/any other part of her life, now that she has announced her candidacy for President!!

June 29, 2011 10:26 pm at 10:26 pm |
  8. duckbutter

didnt know that ... very strong lady...

June 29, 2011 10:28 pm at 10:28 pm |
  9. pimp

I don't care about this. Are we supposed to feel sorry for her and vote her in for president now? She has did nothing in office to prove that she is capable of running our country. Why did i bother to read this story.

I say we elect an idiot as president and when our country goes deeper into depression and riots start.. we can blame the people for the voting for her. It's time to hold the people accountable for there voting. What's next... she got robbed while selling lemonade as a child? O wait, did she break a nail last tuesday? If she did, hell yea i will now vote for her. I bet she can't even balance a checkbook.

June 29, 2011 10:31 pm at 10:31 pm |
  10. JR

Jesus, what's next, she going to claim she has cancer or some other disease. This POS has no shame.

June 29, 2011 10:35 pm at 10:35 pm |
  11. S.B. Stein E.B. NJ

I wonder if she opposes the death penalty. If she does, then she can truly say that she is pro-life. If she believes that the death penalty is needed and should be used more, then she is pro-birth. Why favor one end of the spectrum over the other? That would need some serious explanation for me.

June 29, 2011 10:39 pm at 10:39 pm |
  12. William

I"m sure that the "Christian counseling" that she received after this incident turned her into one of the most shrill, sharp tongued, mean spirited, mud slinging women on the planet.

June 29, 2011 10:41 pm at 10:41 pm |
  13. Doug

“100 percent pro-life from conception until natural death.” Does that mean that Michele Bachmann is opposed to the death penalty? I hope that is what she intended with that comment.

June 29, 2011 10:51 pm at 10:51 pm |
  14. Ricardo Martinez

To tell us about her miscarrage, is in bad taste, we don't have to know unless I were a drama kid needing to hear of a tragedy and come to the aid of the poor soul. Really Mrs. Bachmann you don't have to go that far, it would be better to add another 10 kids to your list. Sorry I don't Get It, and frankly it is distasteful.

June 29, 2011 10:57 pm at 10:57 pm |
  15. Rob in MO

Miscarriages are very common and certainly can be emotionally devastating for a woman and her family, but that does not justify advocating that the government force women to continue unwanted pregnancies against their will.

June 29, 2011 11:02 pm at 11:02 pm |
  16. The Elephant in The Room

This is T.M.I.

Personal & Private & Not Anyone`s Business.

June 29, 2011 11:25 pm at 11:25 pm |
  17. Jen in NC

Wonder where Miss “100 percent pro-life from conception until natural death” stands on the death penalty or war.

June 29, 2011 11:30 pm at 11:30 pm |
  18. Republicans - The "Not Intended To Be Factually Accurate" Party

Is this suppose to "humanize" her after her years of vile, judgemental and dispariging statements about others? Sorry, I`m not in a forgiving mood based on her years of deliberately callous behavior.

As far as this "pro-life" until natural death – - should we take this to mean Ms. Bachmann is not in favor of the death penalty? Or is this another fast & loose statement from the Congresswoman?

June 30, 2011 12:00 am at 12:00 am |
  19. gate

My wife suffered a miscarriage. She had to undergo a D&C procedure. She would have died in Bachmann's vision of America. She can have whatever religious beliefs she wants, but she needs to keep them out of our government.

June 30, 2011 12:02 am at 12:02 am |
  20. Ramesh Shrestha

A shameless political score! So, what is her position on women's health when it comes to abortion?

June 30, 2011 01:02 am at 1:02 am |
  21. peace

backmon is lying about a miscarriage she had an abortion. I"m willing to bet her life on it .

June 30, 2011 01:08 am at 1:08 am |
  22. Republicans Are The American Taliban

Miscarriage of justice electing her ....

June 30, 2011 01:51 am at 1:51 am |
  23. Republicans Are The American Taliban

Pandering to the sympathy cry baby vote already?? I a month she will be seen weilding a machinegun touting 2nd Amendment rights!

June 30, 2011 01:55 am at 1:55 am |
  24. fernace

Yes, miscarriages are devastating. However, I would never try to force my view on the issue of abortion, on another woman, because of my own experience. This has to do with being the autonomous owner of ones own body. Why does the government want control over a womans uterus? And why not demand control over a mans testicles, as well? Until that happens, women need safe means to make private, personal choices,which are no ones business but her own! And don't even bring God into the equation! If you're trying to be a politician, please adhere to & honor the separation of church & state!

June 30, 2011 02:03 am at 2:03 am |
  25. SA in OO

Not a Bachmann fan, and don't share her views on abortion. But on this her actions are based in and consistent with her beliefs. I have the utmost respect for her and her husband in the way their life choices have modeled their strong beliefs in the sanctity of life.

I have and will continue to criticize Michelle Bachmann on other issues, but not this one.

June 30, 2011 04:12 am at 4:12 am |