Beck bids Fox farewell
July 1st, 2011

Beck bids Fox farewell

(CNN) Glenn Beck's farewell show Thursday had the usual elements of long monologues and chalkboards, aside from one usual theme- the host did not shed a tear.

The conservative pundit capitalized on the popularity of his nightly Fox News program and foreshadowed big plans for the future, telling viewers, "This show has become a movement. It's not a TV show. And that's why it doesn't belong on television anymore. It belongs in your home. It belongs in your neighborhoods. Not really television."

Beck, who joined Fox News Channel in 2008, after a two-year stint hosting a talk show on CNN-family network HLN, shooed away speculation about his show ending because of declining ratings.

"I'm the only host who is simultaneously the most dangerous person in America because of my influence and the least influential person in America because my ratings are supposedly declining, which I don't know how that works, either. That was not true, either," Beck said. "This program broke every single record in the 5:00 p.m. time slot, every single record. It is the highest rated show in the history of cable news at this hour."

With the same message that attracts Beck's fans and repels his critics, Beck told viewers, "I want to leave you with a couple of messages here tonight. One of them is never, ever give up. Never ever listen to the experts. They're usually wrong."

Beck addressed his contentious relationship with Comedy Central's Jon Stewart, comparing Stewart's six-minute opening monologues penned by "as many as 40 writers," to his 21-minute speeches written with the help of a small band of two- who were brought onstage for a round of applause.

The war of words between the two popular pundits seemed to hit its zenith when Stewart satirically modeled his Rally to Restore Sanity last October after Beck's Restoring Honor gathering last August.

Beck showed a photograph of Stewart at the Emmy Awards with his staff. "This is him at the, I don't know, Grammys or Emmys or whatever they give for television. I don't know because I'll never win one," Beck said.

But the world hasn't seen the end of Beck. Minutes after bidding farewell to his Fox News program, Beck reconnected with viewers in a 52-minute free broadcast on his latest web television venture, GBTV.

Showcasing a similar format of dusty chalkboards and heated monologues, Beck addressed the challenge he will be taking on, "It is a typical American experiment. One that hasn't been tried before. And the first is, can the messages of our founders survive on their own without the traditional trappings of mass media?"

The new medium for a daily dose of Beck will premiere as a two-hour web show starting in September.

During the live-stream broadcast, Beck admitted that his comment about President Barack Obama having a "deep-seated hatred for white people," was his biggest mistake on Fox News.

The conservative commentator's ambitious summer vacation plans?

"I'm going to Israel in search of courage," Beck said.

Filed under: Fox News • Glenn Beck
  1. Dominican mama 4 Obama

That should've read Move On. Pardon me.

July 1, 2011 02:57 pm at 2:57 pm |
  2. S. In California - Obama 2012

Personally, I'm not going to dirty up my hands to write a response on this pig. I'll let others do it.

July 1, 2011 02:58 pm at 2:58 pm |
  3. deandake

Good riddance

July 1, 2011 02:58 pm at 2:58 pm |
  4. SecedingfromTexas

I'll be nice and just say, again: HAPPY FOURTH OF JULY EVERYBODY!

July 1, 2011 02:58 pm at 2:58 pm |
  5. Get A Grip

Bet CNN wishes they could get the great ratings, and massive audience that Glenn Beck gets.

July 1, 2011 02:58 pm at 2:58 pm |
  6. ART

This moron is delusional, if he thaught his foray into Bryant park was harsh he hasn't seen anything yet. I guess he's still got his eyssight , thats ashame.

July 1, 2011 03:01 pm at 3:01 pm |
  7. GI Joe

Good Riddance!

July 1, 2011 03:02 pm at 3:02 pm |
  8. Paul Ernest Show

Beck ignorantly induced insanity on many young Americans, and I hope these folks recover in time. Never watched his shows before but the excerpts I watched on Msnbc almost made me sick. Glad he is off the air. He is a realistic threat to America's emotional health.

July 1, 2011 03:07 pm at 3:07 pm |
  9. Tex71

This show has become a movement. It's not a TV show. And that's why it doesn't belong on television anymore. It belongs in your recycle bin. It belongs in your neighborhood loony bin. Not really television.

July 1, 2011 03:07 pm at 3:07 pm |
  10. Gil

My Prayers have been answered! This evil and spiteful man is leaving. The problem is he isn't totally gone!

July 1, 2011 03:09 pm at 3:09 pm |
  11. Ken in NC

The conservative commentator's ambitious summer vacation plans?

"I'm going to Israel in search of courage," Beck said.
    Maybe he should try going to the mountains between Afghanistan and Pakistan living with his friends there. They may not put his head on a stick.

July 1, 2011 03:12 pm at 3:12 pm |
  12. S.B. Stein E.B. NJ

Well, I'd be happier if he was retiring altogether and speaking. I could only hope. I believe that his slant on things has been harmful to the civil discourse in American. He isn't the only one. I am sure that there are plenty more on the right and some on the left as well.

July 1, 2011 03:22 pm at 3:22 pm |
  13. gary bowman

good riddance of bad rubbish.....now for Hannity

July 1, 2011 03:23 pm at 3:23 pm |
  14. Anne

Good riddance to ... you know what.

July 1, 2011 03:24 pm at 3:24 pm |
  15. MAC

Beck has been alot more correct than wrong on both the economy and Isreal. I enjoyed his lectures more than Al Gores or our Professor President.

July 1, 2011 03:26 pm at 3:26 pm |
  16. Rudy NYC

This is the same guy who derided 9/11 survivors during the debate over the Ground Zero Memorial. He did it again, to rescuers during the debate over compensation for sickened rescuers. This is the man who styled himself as an American patriot.

July 1, 2011 03:29 pm at 3:29 pm |
  17. Billy

Don't let the doorknob hit you on the way out.

July 1, 2011 03:31 pm at 3:31 pm |
  18. lynn

I see the handwriting on the wall - Palin/Beck 2012. If that's not enough to send the Tea Baggers into a frenzy, maybe add Bachmann as Secretary of State. OMG, the heat of a summer in the south is getting to my brain, I am having a spasm.

July 1, 2011 03:32 pm at 3:32 pm |
  19. Republican Robber Baron

Glenn Beck is a kook and should be sent to prison for incitement of threats and violence against the President. He was caught on camera on his own show pointing at the President displayed on his own monitor, stating this why we should all own guns.
    If a liberal did that to a conservative, they would be forced off the air immediately. The only reason Beck got dumped is that nobody wanted to advertise on his show any more.

July 1, 2011 03:33 pm at 3:33 pm |
  20. John

Can't say I'M sorry to see you go , because I'M not. You should have been gone a long time a go. All you do Is spread hate and you are racist.

July 1, 2011 03:36 pm at 3:36 pm |
  21. DumbasRocks [R]s

...and don't let the door hit ya where the good lord split ya.

Can you imagine how utterly deluded Beck actually is, for the likes of FoxNews to be embarrassed by his loony-tunes ranting? And for the people who actually listen this baffoon....your genetic disorder should be named after Beck in the medical books.

July 1, 2011 03:36 pm at 3:36 pm |
  22. The Real Tom Paine

Yes, the show became a movement, it has passed and it has been flushed.

Too bad it does not work as fertilizer: too toxic.

July 1, 2011 03:39 pm at 3:39 pm |
  23. Democrat Tax and Spend Forever?

". he needs scooped, bagged, and tossed in the trash."

Ah yes, liberalism at it's best. Zero tolerance for differing ideology.

July 1, 2011 03:41 pm at 3:41 pm |
  24. Steve

Democrat Tax and Spend Forever?

". he needs scooped, bagged, and tossed in the trash."

Ah yes, liberalism at it's best. Zero tolerance for differing ideology.

------

Are Beck and his ilk are a paragon of tolerance?

July 1, 2011 03:51 pm at 3:51 pm |
  25. vic , nashville ,tn

"I'm going to Israel in search of courage," Beck said.

Is he dumped us ?