Official: Obama and Boehner met for deficit talks over the weekend
July 6th, 2011
07:38 AM ET
3 years ago

Official: Obama and Boehner met for deficit talks over the weekend

Washington (CNN) - President Barack Obama and House Speaker John Boehner met over the weekend as part of ongoing negotiations on an agreement to reduce the country's deficit, a Republican official told CNN late Tuesday.

Also Obama said Tuesday he invited Democratic and Republican leaders from both chambers of Congress to the White House for a meeting Thursday to discuss deficit reduction and the need to raise the federal debt ceiling.

FULL STORY

Filed under: Congress • Debt • Deficit • John Boehner • President Obama
soundoff (4 Responses)
  1. GI Joe

    The 111th congress (previous two years) was the most productive in history.

    So far, the 112th (under the Weak Weeper) is the LEAST productive in history. 20 bills total in 6 months, and none had anything to do with jobs. They named buildings, tried to eliminate medicare, hope to end Roe v. Wade, etc.

    What a waste of our free air for any of the HELL NO CAUCUS TO BE ALLOWED TO BREATHE.

    July 6, 2011 08:39 am at 8:39 am |
  2. John

    John Beohner When are you going to understand that the American People do want you to Compromise. And yes we do want you to rise Taxes If not on the Rich than on every body. Put the tax rate back to were It was be for President BUSH mess everything up. You Republican should stop listening to the 15% of American People , than Is the Rich and the TEA PARTY. And start listening to the Other 85% that say rise the taxes so more money will come Into the Government. All you Republican are doing Is giving up your Jobs In 2012. Because 15% Isn't enough to get you Reelected In 2012. So get a deal done and the sooner the better. Start to Compromise and noe.

    July 6, 2011 08:40 am at 8:40 am |
  3. Dominican mama 4 Obama

    Hold firm Mr. President. Hold strong.
    This is the time to "address" those tax breaks that the oil companies et al have been privy to, while we bite the proverbial bullet.

    July 6, 2011 08:49 am at 8:49 am |
  4. diridi

    Nation needs to Raise Debt Ceiling, cut defense spending, not needed medicare, social security, etc, which poor man's main needs, raise taxes on who make more than 250k or more, because, listen GOP thugs, especially, Jim Demint, SC idiot, without these, under current conditions, where your idiot Bush, and Reagan left this nation, there is not much help, nor idea....o.k, these are must for generating some kind of revenue...o.k, idiots, listen...true, true, true.......god bless...

    July 6, 2011 09:00 am at 9:00 am |