Bachmann campaign ad hits the airwaves
July 7th, 2011

Bachmann campaign ad hits the airwaves

Washington (CNN) - Republican presidential candidate Michele Bachmann launched her first 2012 election television ad highlighting her Iowa roots and fiscal conservatism.

"As a descendent of generations of Iowans, I was born and raised in Waterloo, as a mom of five, a foster parents, and a former tax lawyer and now a small business job creator, I know we can't keep spending money that we don't have," Bachmann says in the ad. "That's why I fought against the wasteful bailout, against the stimulus. I will not vote to increase the debt ceiling."

The 30-second spot starts airing in Iowa Thursday. Although the campaign will not say how long it will remain on television, campaign spokeswoman Alice Stewart said it will run through the weekend.

"It is a significant ad buy," Stewart said. "Iowa is a critical state."

The Minnesota congresswoman is the second Republican contender with paid media in Iowa. Former Minnesota Gov. Tim Pawlenty has aired two ads in the state. This week, Pawlenty touted his record as governor, including his opposition to unions during a transit strike.

Pawlenty and Bachmann are focusing a lot of time and resources in the Hawkeye State, hoping strong showings at the Ames Straw Poll contest next month, and in the state's caucuses scheduled for February, help propel their campaigns.

Since announcing her candidacy in her native Waterloo, Bachmann has campaigned in the state several times.

Filed under: 2012 • Michele Bachmann
  1. lynn

What does biographical in nature really mean? If it means her life story, will it include her wealthy background and where her financial support comes from? Does the public really care where she was born, but what she would do for the U.S.

July 6, 2011 07:04 pm at 7:04 pm |
  2. Russ

Let me guess, nothing to do with policy and what she will do for the country, just more Obama and gay bashing. Sorry Bachmann we will just turn the channel like we do when the ambulance chasing attorney ads come on.

July 6, 2011 07:20 pm at 7:20 pm |
  3. Jen

who cares!!! I'll turn the channel.

July 6, 2011 07:22 pm at 7:22 pm |
  4. thomas

Just what we need is another fruit cake recipe .

The suspense is killing me .

July 6, 2011 07:24 pm at 7:24 pm |
  5. samsmee

remember all the money the tea party gave Painlyin??? Here we go again.....

July 6, 2011 07:28 pm at 7:28 pm |
  6. Rudy NYC

I hope they have enough sense to fact check the ads.

July 6, 2011 07:40 pm at 7:40 pm |
  7. MN Mom

Instead of Bachmann's dopey ad watch Jimmy Kimmel's video of "Michele Bachmann's History Lesson" - HILARIOUS. Bachmann is not qualified to be President in any way, shape, or form.

July 6, 2011 08:08 pm at 8:08 pm |
  8. Former Republican, now an Independent

I wonder if the people of the great state of Minnesota could get re-imbursed for all of the time their former governor and this senator has have been off of their job and neglected their duties while campaigning in the last 2 years.

July 6, 2011 08:20 pm at 8:20 pm |
  9. SF

"conservatism"...what a joke! sick of the people in this country who call themselves "conservatives"...check your closets, you all have something in them! conservatism is NO LONGER welcomed to mainstream! we live our lives differently and much more independently than in your world! you guys don't want government yet you invade the privacies of people more than anyone! i wouldn't vote for you if my life depended on it!

July 7, 2011 02:57 pm at 2:57 pm |
  10. Bill NY

I wish these fiscal conservatives in the house and senate would start sacrificing and sharing the pain themselves. How about them taking a BIG PAYCUT, paying more for health insurance etc. etc. Will not ever happen because they are pretty LIBERALwhen it comes to compensating themselves.

July 7, 2011 02:59 pm at 2:59 pm |
  11. ART

Que the carnival music send in the clowns the carnival is in town

July 7, 2011 03:00 pm at 3:00 pm |
  12. David, CA

Meanwhile back at home, while Michele's running around like a chicken with it's head cut off (not insult to chickens) obsessing over gay marriage and having no ideas or plans Minnesota’s economy will lose about $23 million a week in spending power from public and private workers idled by the shutdown of its government.

Sounds like the GOPs got a winner!

July 7, 2011 03:00 pm at 3:00 pm |
  13. ABM

Translation: "I am wasting a ton of money to get attention for a Presidential bid I have no chance of winning. Thank you for wasting your time and intelligence watching my ad."

July 7, 2011 03:00 pm at 3:00 pm |
  14. emma

Her fundamentalist religious leanings will entice some to try to elect her, but will be a deterrent for other voters. She is so extremely radical – both in a religious sense and a governance sense!

July 7, 2011 03:00 pm at 3:00 pm |
  15. barking alien

For the reality and history challenged voter, she is your candidate.

July 7, 2011 03:01 pm at 3:01 pm |
  16. Adalbert

It is amazing that this right wing, tbagging bimbo is still pushing the same old useless ideas and programs that they had for several years without any success. This voodoo economics was invented by the republicans to please their puppet masters. When will they ever learn? Are they capable of learning? Probably not.

July 7, 2011 03:03 pm at 3:03 pm |
  17. Jay

Does Bachmann know what happens as the race gets nearer to the actual election? That means people will get to see you give interviews. Sorry to tell you cupcake, but when you sit down at Meet The Press you'll need more than your BS talking points. Gregory will ask how you're so against government programs like Medicaid when, as I recall, your husband has happily accepted the money?

Shut up idiot. Obama will crush you in a debate. I feel sorry for this country if you win. We already had one Republican disaster almost flush us down.

July 7, 2011 03:05 pm at 3:05 pm |
  18. The Greedy Old Pigs have declared class war on America

On the other hand, every time Bachmann opens her mouth, she advertises her idiocy and the fact she's a fear-mongering, hateful, lying teatard who worships the failed cult of capitalism that screws all but the filthy rich.

July 7, 2011 03:09 pm at 3:09 pm |
  19. Joe E.

Now we know what a Minnesota flake looks like, when it's not winter. I hope she muddies the water real well for the GOP nominee. I'll even contribute to make that come about at any time. I've had more than my fill of idiotic GOP administrations. They all left the country in a condition worse than that which was given them. I hope to say GOP ... RIP, very soon.

July 7, 2011 03:11 pm at 3:11 pm |
  20. Sarah Palin does not speak for me in Ohio

Yet she voted to raise the debt ceiling under Bush! The candidate is not qualified and I am surprised she was reelected.

July 7, 2011 03:11 pm at 3:11 pm |
  21. bkgrandma

She also is against health care for all Americans (she calls it Obamacare). Her comment says it all "she's a lawyer",
    I wonder if she has ever been without health insurance, I would guess she hasn't. I find it sad that all these wealthy Repugs don't care about the average American and care even less about the poor in our country. I guess they know that these people can't give them money to help them get elected. They should be ashamed!

July 7, 2011 03:12 pm at 3:12 pm |
  22. Allen N Wollscheidt

Follow the money : She is NOTHING but a political opportunist ! . She presents a very plain and clear example of the decline of the representative political process in this nation : She represents no one but herself and her goal of getting elected, an ego trip !

July 7, 2011 03:12 pm at 3:12 pm |
  23. Kenneth the VI of Minneapolis

Bachmann said this, "...and now a small business job creator..." I would like to know how many jobs have she created?.....She has been on the Government's bankroll most of her adult life.

July 7, 2011 03:12 pm at 3:12 pm |
  24. Former Democrat, now an Independent

I wonder if the people of the could get re-imbursed for all of the time has have been off of their job and neglected their duties while campaigning in the last years.

July 7, 2011 03:13 pm at 3:13 pm |
  25. Joe The Plumber

Warren Buffet calls screwing with the debt ceiling risky. Guess Bachmann knows more than Buffett.

July 7, 2011 03:13 pm at 3:13 pm |