Bachmann campaign ad hits the airwaves
July 7th, 2011

Bachmann campaign ad hits the airwaves

Washington (CNN) - Republican presidential candidate Michele Bachmann launched her first 2012 election television ad highlighting her Iowa roots and fiscal conservatism.

"As a descendent of generations of Iowans, I was born and raised in Waterloo, as a mom of five, a foster parents, and a former tax lawyer and now a small business job creator, I know we can't keep spending money that we don't have," Bachmann says in the ad. "That's why I fought against the wasteful bailout, against the stimulus. I will not vote to increase the debt ceiling."

The 30-second spot starts airing in Iowa Thursday. Although the campaign will not say how long it will remain on television, campaign spokeswoman Alice Stewart said it will run through the weekend.

"It is a significant ad buy," Stewart said. "Iowa is a critical state."

The Minnesota congresswoman is the second Republican contender with paid media in Iowa. Former Minnesota Gov. Tim Pawlenty has aired two ads in the state. This week, Pawlenty touted his record as governor, including his opposition to unions during a transit strike.

Pawlenty and Bachmann are focusing a lot of time and resources in the Hawkeye State, hoping strong showings at the Ames Straw Poll contest next month, and in the state's caucuses scheduled for February, help propel their campaigns.

Since announcing her candidacy in her native Waterloo, Bachmann has campaigned in the state several times.

Filed under: 2012 • Michele Bachmann
  1. maggie

Well said Horus.

July 7, 2011 04:00 pm at 4:00 pm |
  2. peace

July 7, 2011 04:02 pm at 4:02 pm |
  3. brizzolata

Thank you for playing – your 15 minutes are up.

July 7, 2011 04:05 pm at 4:05 pm |
  4. Marie MD

Did she vote for the all seven of the shrub's debt increases? Just wondering why this flake, along with the rethugs in congress, want the President and the Nation to fail!!!
    I don't care how many children you spawned or how much money you milked from the government with your foster kids or the farm subsidy your family was granted.
    What are you going to do beside attacking the President and his ideas. WHAT ARE YOU GOING TO DO DIFFERENTLY AND IS IT GOING TO WORK BETTER??? Of course not. You just want to be out there annoying people with your crazy looks and have nothing to offer.

July 7, 2011 04:06 pm at 4:06 pm |
  5. johnmenacherjr

Just remember all you wonderfully hypocritical catholics she believes in her heart of heart that the pope is indeed the antichrist. I thought obamm had that distinction. Oh ya in america being catholic is all I am rich – you are not so in your wholley minds its so I guess

July 7, 2011 04:08 pm at 4:08 pm |
  6. Florida Joe

Funny, I wonder why she didn’t include how the Govt has subsidized her husband for years……Must have slipped this Air Heads Mind small as it is……what a joke

July 7, 2011 04:10 pm at 4:10 pm |
  7. Geneo

I don't know who I will be voting for but it wont be Bachman and it wont be Obama.

July 7, 2011 04:10 pm at 4:10 pm |
  8. tulsa, ok

Doug,
    What makes you think she feels any remorse? I mean, it's not like you hear her tell any truth, just made up BS. Of course, you probably eat that up.
    Oh yeah, Democrats have no remorse for anything. Idiot,.

July 7, 2011 04:12 pm at 4:12 pm |
  9. BIKEKING

"peace SAYS
    "this witch and her gay husband is a fraud look and listen how her husband act yes he is gay the truth will come out."
    SHE HAS THIS MANY KIDS TO TRY TO MAKE IT LOOK LIKE HE IS NOT GAY

July 7, 2011 04:13 pm at 4:13 pm |
  10. Jim Brodie

The GOP wannabes all need a big win in IA to get into the big primaries. All of the GOPers know that conjuring up images of farms & small towns & "Values" faith & family goes straight to the heart of a conservative Iowan. Bachmann's edge is that she's not just conjuring up any old farms & small towns & values & stuff, she conjuring up IOWA farms and small towns, etc., because she was spawned from conservative Iowans. She might be dumb but she ain't stupid.

July 7, 2011 04:20 pm at 4:20 pm |
  11. Mike

You can't fix stupid! She's a perfect example of that.

July 7, 2011 04:21 pm at 4:21 pm |
  12. duke13

So Michele is a small business job creator. Please tell us Michele, just how many jobs you have created. Also, please tell us how much you received in farm subsidies.

July 7, 2011 04:28 pm at 4:28 pm |
  13. Honestly

Democrats annoy me.

July 7, 2011 04:30 pm at 4:30 pm |
  14. ART

Anonymous the only media fed moron is you cause its obvious you have swollowed what ever Faux news put out, you need to do some research if you think this wack job, flake is compitent to be anything but a dog catcher

July 7, 2011 04:32 pm at 4:32 pm |
  15. Former Republican, now an Independent

Bachman has fought against everything, but mostly progress. She is a leader in the party of NO. No ideas, no help, no ethics. MN should demand that she pay them back for all of the time she has neglected her duties as senator.

July 7, 2011 04:39 pm at 4:39 pm |
  16. Dan

Bicker and blame....no solutions as always. Sure, cut spending...that is the answer to all of America's problems, gimme a break. For once, I would like the GOP to stop bitching and moaning at the Democrats and provide solutions.

July 7, 2011 04:46 pm at 4:46 pm |
  17. Shari from Madison WI

Bachman is a bad joke. If she is somehow elected, our country will become a place where you have to believe exactly as she does or you will be tossed to the curb and left to die. She would usher in an era of hatred, bigotry and fear. She is dangerous!

July 7, 2011 04:50 pm at 4:50 pm |
  18. soberdude

Fiscal conservatism? Hardly. More like hypocrite to the max. Someone please her about the $700 million dollar bridge to no-where in her very own district.

July 7, 2011 04:51 pm at 4:51 pm |
  19. once upon a horse

if Iowans know what is good for them they better hope some GOPers do like they did when Bush was POTUS and vote to increase the debt ceiling. Bachmann was also the one that was telling her district NOT to fill out the census forms and she was wrong about that too.

July 7, 2011 04:52 pm at 4:52 pm |
  20. MatthewInWisconsin

What is Bachmann doing for the State of Minnesota TODAY?

July 7, 2011 04:54 pm at 4:54 pm |
  21. Publius Novus

@maggie. Be careful what you say. In 1980 I was elated when the GOP nominated Reagan because I thought he was probably the only Republican Carter could beat. We know how that came out. Do not underestimate the ignorance of the U.S. electorate.

A substantial plurality of Republican and "independent" white men are ready to vote for Bachmann because "she is easy on the eyes." Another large group of voters, composed of Democratic, Republican, and "independent" women, will vote for her because she is a woman. The Tea Party types will vote for her because she hates everything and makes off-the-wall, shocking statements, a la Ann Coulter.

Am I afraid of Sarah Palin? No, she is only out to make money. But Michele Bachmann scares me.

July 7, 2011 04:59 pm at 4:59 pm |
  22. John

She clearly has no idea what the debt ceiling even is. WHo runs on " I promise not to pay for what we already bought?" These idiots are dangerous! ANd her 32 foster kids she claimed she "raised" many of those where with her less than a weeks time. This lady is the queen of fools!

July 7, 2011 05:00 pm at 5:00 pm |
  23. Big_D

I'm not a witch I just want our currency to collapse.

July 7, 2011 05:01 pm at 5:01 pm |
  24. Khopdi

That photo looks funny to my eyes.

July 7, 2011 05:03 pm at 5:03 pm |
  25. Piltdown Man

I have seen this same ad A THOUSAND TIMES. Heck, I've DONE this ad, just with different cookie-cutter pols. It's the classic "first ad has to be a candidate bio ad" mentality. They are always weak and rather pointless, because as other posters have noted, who really cares where they're born or what hardscrabble (or not) past their parents or grandparents had? Rick Santorum kicked off his campaign talking about his coal miner grandfather. This coming from a guy who has probably never had a callous his entire life.

But consultants keep doing these things - 'cause they think they work - or at the very least, they do no harm.

As far at this one in particular is concerned, it's a really weak, low-budget effort. Worse yet (and I have to say I don't like this woman) Bachmann comes across as a sort of "Stepford Wife." She is stiff and stilted and shows no comfort in front of the camera and no connection with her audience. Worse yet, her obvious facial "work" seems sadly too obvious. My guess is that she is only comfortable when she is yelling from the podium...

Oh, and the "small business job creator" line? Isn't that precious? The truth is, and we all know this, no business person sets out to "create jobs," they set out to make money! I have no problem with that at all, but don't try to convince me that you are morally superior person just because you have to hire some people to work for you.

July 7, 2011 05:05 pm at 5:05 pm |